White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2008, 05:12 PM
WSI Prelate

One more thing. He would immediately be a top 10 prospect in our system with a very good chance to be in the top 5, and that just tells me we should just spend the extra 100k or so to bring him into the fold.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:24 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_H View Post
So we're talking Ryan Sweeney here?
Sweeney was more a corner outfielder, and in a pinch he could pitch.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:28 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Honestly, as far as comparisons to Sox prospects go, He is much closer to Sweeney than he is to either BA or Reed. You have to take a chance some time on one of these guys Daver, or you can keep tossing out what happened to guys in the past from our system as comparisons and say it isn't worth it. Bottom line, he isn't Reed, BA, or even Sweeney, and you have to move on from them and keep taking chances on good young guys to take the next step forward for our minor league system.
The point is, he's not a HS pick like Sweeney, when he struggles to adjust to professional pitching this organization will write him off, they don't develop talent well.

And it doesn't take much to be a top ten prospect in the Sox farm system, when Beckham signs he will be their number one prospect.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Sweeney was more a corner outfielder, and in a pinch he could pitch.
Young Steve Finley, then?

It's a crapshoot either way, especially the way Sox "develop" talent.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_H View Post
Young Steve Finley, then?

It's a crapshoot either way, especially the way Sox "develop" talent.
Hopefully that is changing. Brining in Buddy Bell and dumping Wilder and a couple of other *******s should do nothing but help, but I'm sure more changes will be coming and it will be a few years before we see any results. In the mean time, I'd like to see the Sox spend some more money to acquire assets through the international market and the draft that they can trade for veteran players. I'm hoping the Alexei Ramirez signing leads to taking a chance on at least one of the recent Cuban defectors.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

One reason to make Jordan Danks happy is to make John Danks happy. Let's say they have to overpay their expectations and budget for a guy they drafted in the 7th round, they may get it back and then some by being able to get brother John to sign a long-term contract at a favorable price since the Sox have been so "good to the Danks family."

That may be a bit of a stretch, but you never know what will happen a couple of years down the road during future bargaining of contracts. I would want the Danks family to think they are part of the Sox family and have him re-up with the Sox.

I love John Danks as a future star of the Sox staff, and I want to see him stay a long time. Whether Jordan pans out or not is my secondary concern here. It would be a big bonus if he does.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
The point is, he's not a HS pick like Sweeney, when he struggles to adjust to professional pitching this organization will write him off, they don't develop talent well.

And it doesn't take much to be a top ten prospect in the Sox farm system, when Beckham signs he will be their number one prospect.
The point is that he's 22 and has incredible genes and talent for the game. Like I said, you can keep bringing up instances of the past, but he is isn't even close to the players you compare him to, and even if he were, his name is Jordan Danks, not Brian Anderson. Everyone is inevitably compared to someone, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do so when trying to gauge their career potential, but you can't say "I won't spend the extra $X because of what happened to X, Y, and Z." You have to keep plugging away and taking the chances to add a top 5 or so prospect whenever you can. Regardless of how easy it is to make our top 10, the fact is that adding players to that list only makes us better and stronger as an organization.

As far as us writing off prospects, I think we (the fans) do that more than the organization. The organization just mishandles them. With the new cast in charge or our system, it would be nice to start anew with a different approach to by taking the calculated risks the successful teams (minor leagues) are. Me, I'd spend the 750k any day to add potential over adding another Cintron or the like and call it a good calculated risk for my organization.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:45 PM
WSI High Priest

ehhh, Jordan Danks is never going to make it. The guy has no power, doesn't hit for a great average (and before people start talking the .320s, this is College, were most of the better hitters hit at a .345 or better clip, the really good ones upper .300s). He is fast, he plays good D, but he isn't anything special. He wasn't even looking like a top 10 round pick until Kenny drafted him, and mostly because hes been chasing him for years and you know how Kenny doesn't give up on people.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:50 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post

As far as us writing off prospects, I think we (the fans) do that more than the organization. The organization just mishandles them.
They do both, I hope Buddy Bell is serious about turning it around, but it will only happen if they make serious changes from the top down. I get better info on Sox prospects from the Twins scout I know that lives locally than I do from the three Sox scouts I occasionally see at Providence games.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:51 PM
WSI Regular

Disagree

no way, let him go to texas
Old 08-12-2008, 06:07 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
They do both, I hope Buddy Bell is serious about turning it around, but it will only happen if they make serious changes from the top down. .
Yep.

It would recquire some degree of organizational overhaul & some real $$$ committment by JR and Co... especially in Latin America.

(the usual short-cuts, band-aids, temporary grafts that are favored by quite a few, mostly losing organizations, including the Sox... will all fail in the long-term.)
Old 08-12-2008, 07:28 PM
WSI Prelate

I'd love to get him. Right now, both sides are posturing. I'm willing to wait and see what happens. If we don't get him, maybe that means we have more money to spend elsewhere and Weaver signs?

Either way - both sides are posturing - we will hear a lot over the next 72 hours.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
There is no compensatory pick for a 7th rounder.

We didn't have a second-round pick, and this guy is a second-round talent. He fired Boras to make it easier on us. Maybe we want him, maybe we don't, but if we didn't want to pay for him, why draft him? It's possible everything is just posturing at this point but the $500,000 or whatever it would cost to sign him is less than we're paying MacDougal to blow at Charlotte.

When you've got the worst farm system in the game, it pays to make the extra effort and try to get a couple of players in there.
He looked better as a HS senior, but the cupboard is bare and we did draft him twice so there's something they (Kenny) like. Maybe Kenny would have a buck to spend if we didn't pick his son too early.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Update #2: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....,4513659.story

Sox and Danks' agent will talk tomorrow to try and get a deal done.

It also mentions Beckham is still unsigned.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030 View Post
He looked better as a HS senior, but the cupboard is bare and we did draft him twice so there's something they (Kenny) like. Maybe Kenny would have a buck to spend if we didn't pick his son too early.
How long do these lame jokes go on until you get bored of them?