White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2008, 04:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Then let him go back to Texas with nothing. I don't think he'll amount to much more than an average at best player anyway.
Having never seen him play....

How does his style/tools/upside compare to, say, that of Rocco Baldelli, Josh Hamilton, Grady Sizemore?

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned

I think this will get done.

The flip side to Papa Danks argument is it puts a ton of pressure on Jordan if he doesn't sign. He'd need a really good senior season to get drafted highly, and even then he'd lose quite a bit of leverage, unless he wants to go play independent ball.

2nd round money, or close to it, could very well be as good as he'll get. Papa Danks said the offer was "slightly below" what they discussed on draft day. I find it hard to believe all parties concerned would let a deal for roughly 1/2 million dollars blow up over "slightly".

It is very likely other teams passed on this kid because they knew he (and the father) expected 2nd round money. If other teams thought he was worth it, they'd have taken him in Round 2 (or 3,4,5,6). That didn't happen. The leverage the family has is him going back for his sr. season at Texas. Apparently part of that leverage in their mind is he'll improve on his draft position and get his degree. Well he'd likely get the degree but I'm not so sure on improving the draft position. Seems like a lot of pressure for the kid.

Not to mention Jordan is anxious to get going and turn pro, the father admits it. Again, I find it hard to believe this won't get done. Then again, this is what happens when you draft players who have higher expectations than slot, and/or higher expectations of their relative worth. They take longer to sign, it goes down to the wire, barbs are traded and it's not pretty.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:36 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_H View Post
Having never seen him play....

How does his style/tools/upside compare to, say, that of Rocco Baldelli, Josh Hamilton, Grady Sizemore?

Thanks.
Think Brian Anderson, but not quite as good a defender, without Brian's power. On a good day he has WTP.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Think Brian Anderson, but not quite as good a defender, without Brian's power. On a good day he has WTP.
Well, he's got slightly better wheels and much better base stealing ability than BA. He also has a better/smoother swing than Brian. As far as power goes, no, he hasn't done it in college which is why he has fallen so far from his HS days as it was his #1 asset. However, I think he can be a 15 or so guy in the bigs, which is pretty much BA power exactly. I think he projects to more of a leadoff hitter right now as a ceiling, which isn't exciting for a guy advertised like he was but it's always nice to have those prospects. Good fielding guy who will hit for average and steal some bags, sounds like a guy to take a chance on. That or we could spend the 500-750k on a utility man.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:45 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Well, he's got slightly better wheels and much better base stealing ability than BA. He also has a better/smoother swing than Brian. As far as power goes, no, he hasn't done it in college which is why he has fallen so far from his HS days as it was his #1 asset. However, I think he can be a 15 or so guy in the bigs, which is pretty much BA power exactly. I think he projects to more of a leadoff hitter right now as a ceiling, which isn't exciting for a guy advertised like he was but it's always nice to have those prospects. Good fielding guy who will hit for average and steal some bags, sounds like a guy to take a chance on. That or we could spend the 500-750k on a utility man.
So offensively, a watered down Brian Roberts who plays the OF?
Old 08-12-2008, 04:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2906 View Post
They need to infuse talent into the system. Even if Jordan Danks doesn't amount to much in the long run, he will still have value 12, 18, even 24 months from now. Meaning, trade value. Yes, it would be nice if he'd develop into a productive major leaguer for the White Sox. But he's an asset. Potential with a capital P and a lot of tools that haven't totally blossomed.

It sounds like they are close on money. It'd be dumb to play hardball and not get this guy signed at this point.
Totally agree. It's not that we're hurting for young, home-grown talent, it's that our farm system is hurting for value. We need pieces to trade. Kenny builds his teams through FA and trade anyway, so whether or not Jordan Danks becomes anything really isn't important right now.

If say Danks at $750K is the difference between a productive veteran who costs $9M/yr through free agency and an equally productive player who can be acquired through trade at $5M/yr, then you're talking about spending a small amount now to save millions in the future which can help to improve the quality of the team.

I have no idea why the Sox don't spend more money to build up their farm system. Just look at some of the smart signings and trades that Kenny has been able to make so far, and then think about what he'd be able to do if he had a farm system as deep as the Angels. When Kenny first took over he had a deep system too, and he helped to drain it, but he's become a much better GM since then, and if he had the chance to make more moves I think we'd have a great team for a long time.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
To add to this, he is also known as having a very good batting eye, he will draw walks. He's a gap hitter sort of like Ryan Sweeney and actually they have a similar batting stroke. Maybe his power will develop and maybe it won't, but the speed, batting eye, and defensive abilities scream get this deal done, to me anyway.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:54 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Then let him go back to Texas with nothing. I don't think he'll amount to much more than an average at best player anyway.
Says the guy who declared Kris Honel better than Mike Mussina.

Sorry, had to bust your chops about that.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
To add to this, he is also known as having a very good batting eye, he will draw walks. He's a gap hitter sort of like Ryan Sweeney and actually they have a similar batting stroke. Maybe his power will develop and maybe it won't, but the speed, batting eye, and defensive abilities scream get this deal done, to me anyway.
I look at the season Ryan is having right now, and that's what I see in Jordan pretty much exactly with more steals and the ability to play very good D in CF. A bigger park and a better hitting coach did wonders for Ryan.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:57 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Sounds like Jeremy Reed, where is he again?

I'm not saying don't sign him, I'm saying don't overpay to sign him.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

Also sounds like Ryan Sweeney who isn't doing that badly.

He projects to stay in CF, he can steal bases, a good batting eye, hits for contact, good defensive skills, possibly a future #2 or even #1 hitter. How long have the White Sox needed a home grown guy like that, I would say quite a while.

Again, I think they will get this done. Technically they are already overpaying, if they are offering close to 2nd round money, seeing as he was picked in the 7th round. So at this point they need to find a way to get it done and if it means ponying up a bit more, this is a guy to do it with.

Then again, it's not our money.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Honestly, as far as comparisons to Sox prospects go, He is much closer to Sweeney than he is to either BA or Reed. You have to take a chance some time on one of these guys Daver, or you can keep tossing out what happened to guys in the past from our system as comparisons and say it isn't worth it. Bottom line, he isn't Reed, BA, or even Sweeney, and you have to move on from them and keep taking chances on good young guys to take the next step forward for our minor league system.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
So we're talking Ryan Sweeney here?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Says the guy who declared Kris Honel better than Mike Mussina.

Sorry, had to bust your chops about that.
To be fair, Honel was going to be awesome.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

I don't think it's entirely fair as Honel, IIRC, never got the chance to pitch above AA due to career-ending arm injuries. (And, to a much lesser extent, due to his poor attitude)

It's like saying that Jon Rauch was never any good... when in fact he's lucky to be pitching at all with his labrum, rotator cuff issues.