White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2008, 08:20 PM
WSI Prelate

That's great news - just got back from being away since Thurs and wanted to see if we got him.

Three+ years down the road, we can start to judge this class.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Banned

Man I forgot about this thread because it was in the Minor League Forum. Thanks for the laughs Munch. Have you been watching Swisher lately?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBobbyJenks View Post
Man I forgot about this thread because it was in the Minor League Forum. Thanks for the laughs Munch. Have you been watching Swisher lately?
Or since June 1st -- he's been just what we need.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 AM
WSI Personality

Good to see the Danks brothers on-board!

Regarding Swish, I'll always be a bit suspicious of the players that came out the A's organization in the early 00's...he does blow on the road...hard...
Old 08-20-2008, 10:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndemicSox View Post
Good to see the Danks brothers on-board!

Regarding Swish, I'll always be a bit suspicious of the players that came out the A's organization in the early 00's...he does blow on the road...hard...
He has an outside chance at hitting 30 homeruns this year. After hitting only 4 in his first two months, I'd definitely say he was a roider.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
He has an outside chance at hitting 30 homeruns this year. After hitting only 4 in his first two months, I'd definitely say he was a roider.

Because he started hitting when the weather got warmer? Are you suggesting that he started taking them the last few months?

You do understand how steroids work right? You don't just take them and get stronger...you take them to improve your workouts. They allow you to recover quicker from your workouts and build muscle faster. You see the results after months of working out, not immediately. I've noticed absolutely no increase in Swisher's size over the course of the season.

He currently is around his career averages for home runs. If he went from 35 HRs to something like 8, you could make the case. Again, Swisher will end this year with a slightly lower average....that's it. The steroid case has no base. None. Could he be juicing, sure. But the same could be said for everyone in baseball. There is absolutely no evidence regarding Swisher except that he used to play in Oakland...which is circucmstantial at best.

There are much more likely explanations for Swisher's slow start:
Cold weather, playing a new position, having to leadoff, playing with a new team, starting off in a slump and then pressing, etc...

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, so if you are, I apologize and disregard this whole post.

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofCSoxFan View Post
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, so if you are, I apologize and disregard this whole post.
Yes, I was.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Yes, I was.
Yeah...I wrote my diatribe and then, realizing that you are actually a sane poster, thought that you may have been sarcastic. The sad thing is given some of the posts in this thread, I couldn't be sure.

I still think my post needed to be said, however, since some people think that anyone that ever has a slump and is from northern California must be off the juice.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:

You do understand how steroids work right? You don't just take them and get stronger...you take them to improve your workouts. They allow you to recover quicker from your workouts and build muscle faster. You see the results after months of working out, not immediately. I've noticed absolutely no increase in Swisher's size over the course of the season.

Do they not increase you hand eye coordination, and increase bat speed? Players don't take them just to get bigger. I do not think Swisher is juicing though.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashMan View Post
Do they not increase you hand eye coordination, and increase bat speed? Players don't take them just to get bigger. I do not think Swisher is juicing though.
I am by no means a steroid expert but don't think they increase your hand eye coordination. For this reason, Arnald Schwartzenagar would never be a good baseball player. You are right that they don't just make you bigger, some take them to get over soreness or keep up from the daily grind (for example Juan Rincon).
Old 08-20-2008, 05:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I am by no means a steroid expert but don't think they increase your hand eye coordination. For this reason, Arnald Schwartzenagar would never be a good baseball player. You are right that they don't just make you bigger, some take them to get over soreness or keep up from the daily grind (for example Juan Rincon).
HGH can improve your vision.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

Just to steer this back to Jordan Danks, he's playing his first pro game tonight, leading off and playing CF for Kannapolis.

First pro at bat, not memorable, he struck out. Just to make him feel at home, Gordon Beckham followed with a strike out of his own.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2906 View Post
Just to steer this back to Jordan Danks, he's playing his first pro game tonight, leading off and playing CF for Kannapolis.

First pro at bat, not memorable, he struck out. Just to make him feel at home, Gordon Beckham followed with a strike out of his own.
That's our future 2 and 3 hitters??? Can't believe we signed these bums!!!

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012