White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2008, 07:01 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
BTW, how did you find out the reason he missed the game? I went to the Charlotte website last night to see if they had a reason why Crede was not in the lineup, but they did not have anything on it.
I heard it from the Knights' annoucers last night. He's not in tonight's line-up either
Old 08-03-2008, 07:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optipessimism View Post
I'd deal McCulloch for Pablo Ozuna at this point. God, if you look at some of the players that were taken in the '06 draft, McCulloch is one of the worst taken in the top 5 rounds period. Jesus Christ does he suck! And it's not like he's bust who had the potential to be a great pitcher, he's a bust that had the potential to be a back end starter. What a waste of a pick. If I were Kenny I'd deal McCulloch straight up for a $25 gift card to Fridays.
This is why the Sox farm system is in such dire straits. 2005 is one of the great drafts of all time and we took Broadway, had no second rounder, took Ricky Brooks in the third, Getz in the fourth, Rote in the fifth. We did have some success in Cunningham, Cortes, and Carter. Those guys got traded. We also drafted Richard, who might be okay. He's not going to be Liriano.

2006 was a solid draft and we took McCulloch. He stinks. Then we took Long, who can't get out of A ball. Justin Edwards, who has struggled (and I think might be hurt.) Tyler Reves, our fourth rounder, has already been released. Shelby's been okay as a fifth-rounder but does not profile as a leftfielder. There are some later round players who are too young to give up on like Gerst, Morales, and Johnson, but no one has really emerged. Possible we got zero major leaguers in a draft. Ouch.

2007 wasn't as good as those two, (and it's still early) but Poreda does not look like he's going to be a top flight player. Nevin Griffith has been hurt. Ely has really struggled. Hunt is a one-pitch reliever. Nathan Jones has a 7.90 ERA. Johnnie Lowe has been mediocre. Hard to feel good about that draft unless someone from the lower rounds like Kendall or Shirek emerges.

So obviously, KW fired our scouting director. Maybe he should have overhauled the entire operation. One can only speculate as to whether Wilder's shenanigan's had anything to do with this, but it is going to take years to recover from this.

Some of this is the trades, but the vast majority of it is drafting bust after bust after bust in the first five rounds.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:16 PM
WSI Personality

Of course, proving me wrong, it was a good night tonight for our 2007 pitchers:

Poreda 7IP 4H 0R 0ER 0BB 7K so maybe he's getting it together.

Ely 6IP 4H 0R 0ER 0BB 5K (so far)

and Levi Maxwell 8IP 3H 0R 0ER 0BB 7K, although he was a senior sign and is turning 24 in December and is pitching in lo-A.

This is Ely's second strong start in a row after getting his brains beat in for the last month or more. Maybe he was tipping his pitches or something.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
This is why the Sox farm system is in such dire straits. 2005 is one of the great drafts of all time and we took Broadway, had no second rounder, took Ricky Brooks in the third, Getz in the fourth, Rote in the fifth. We did have some success in Cunningham, Cortes, and Carter. Those guys got traded. We also drafted Richard, who might be okay. He's not going to be Liriano.

2006 was a solid draft and we took McCulloch. He stinks. Then we took Long, who can't get out of A ball. Justin Edwards, who has struggled (and I think might be hurt.) Tyler Reves, our fourth rounder, has already been released. Shelby's been okay as a fifth-rounder but does not profile as a leftfielder. There are some later round players who are too young to give up on like Gerst, Morales, and Johnson, but no one has really emerged. Possible we got zero major leaguers in a draft. Ouch.

2007 wasn't as good as those two, (and it's still early) but Poreda does not look like he's going to be a top flight player. Nevin Griffith has been hurt. Ely has really struggled. Hunt is a one-pitch reliever. Nathan Jones has a 7.90 ERA. Johnnie Lowe has been mediocre. Hard to feel good about that draft unless someone from the lower rounds like Kendall or Shirek emerges.

So obviously, KW fired our scouting director. Maybe he should have overhauled the entire operation. One can only speculate as to whether Wilder's shenanigan's had anything to do with this, but it is going to take years to recover from this.

Some of this is the trades, but the vast majority of it is drafting bust after bust after bust in the first five rounds.
I have faith in Shirek and Poreda as an upper-echelon MLB lefty set-up man. Other than that, these last few drafts have been pretty bad. I still am holding out hope for Griffith, he's got some good stuff and was a high schooler so I don't expect much right now, but he's the only guy that I see as a top-3 of the rotation prospect. Poreda will be a reliever or he won't make it, he's not going to start without any reliable off-speed stuff. Miranda could be a UT player in the future. Not a lot to get excited about. The most exciting thing IMO is the FBI investigation going on. Hopefully we get some of these assclowns out of our system. Hopefully Regier is out too.

Edit: On draft day I watched Upchurch's video and liked him a lot. I know there was a lot o buzz about this kid, but I liked him from the get-go. Having him signed is a huge plus, and with Beckham and Danks expected to sign that's a huge win for Kenny in this draft. I hope we continue going this route. The farm system HAS to be a priority, especially for a team that trades as many prospects as they do.

Last edited by Optipessimism; 08-03-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Assuming they sign, I guess the Sox really need Beckham and Jordan Danks to pan out.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
Of course, proving me wrong, it was a good night tonight for our 2007 pitchers:

Poreda 7IP 4H 0R 0ER 0BB 7K so maybe he's getting it together.

Ely 6IP 4H 0R 0ER 0BB 5K (so far)

and Levi Maxwell 8IP 3H 0R 0ER 0BB 7K, although he was a senior sign and is turning 24 in December and is pitching in lo-A.

This is Ely's second strong start in a row after getting his brains beat in for the last month or more. Maybe he was tipping his pitches or something.
He had well-above-average statistics before that disgusting stretch, so maybe it was a dead arm period? Either way, he has shown potential, at least from what the numbers suggest.