White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:47 AM
WSI Regular

Griffey's bronze statue is already under construction.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Buster Olney on ESPN now and is saying that he doesn't think he can play center anymore.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

This does not make a lot of sense. The outfield is set and Griffey, a left-handed batter, would have to compete with Thome for at bats at DH. I can't see Griffey, in the middle of a pennant race, tried at 1B, replacing Konerko, though that may be in the works. If it's not that, I can't figure out where he'll play.

I just hope the Sox gave up nothing and it was just a salary dump on the part of the Reds. Hopefully the damage is limited to someone like Haeger.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:49 AM
Banned

The bottom line is this. If he can play an adequate CF, than it will improve the defense at first, while potentially improving the lineup, replacing Konerko with Griffey. So before people complain that he will be worse in CF than Swisher, you have to ask yourself which tandem is better defensively, Swisher at CF and PK at 1st, or Griffey at CF and Swisher at 1st.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:49 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
My brother just texted me and said he heard it on Mike and Mike but I don't see anything on the little scroll...who did we give up? Where would he play? Can he still play CF?
Sounds like official announcement will come IF Griff, Jr approves the trade (Mike & Mike). I'm leaning to the negative - I'd rather have a faster, younger CF between CQ & JD than Griffey. Don't think he'll DH over Thome and Griffey hasn't played much 1B. Another expensive, aging, plodder - (home run or nothing) - exact opposite of what Sox need (IMO) -maybe there's another move along with it such as Griffey going elsewhere or PK or.... no word of Sox names - reminds me of the Alomar / Everett moves. Maybe lightening in a bottle?
Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'll be getting a Griffey jersey now. I don't care if he's in the twilight of his career, I love the guy.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:51 AM
Banned

We have to wait and see if Thome and/or Konerko are still White Sox in a few hours. The only way this move makes any sense is if one of them is sent packing.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:52 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms620 View Post
The bottom line is this. If he can play an adequate CF, than it will improve the defense at first, while potentially improving the lineup, replacing Konerko with Griffey. So before people complain that he will be worse in CF than Swisher, you have to ask yourself which tandem is better defensively, Swisher at CF and PK at 1st, or Griffey at CF and Swisher at 1st.
Probably Swisher/Konerko...

All I've been hearing this year is how we need Gold Glove defense in CF, and now adequate is fine enough?

I don't think I'd want Griffey out there for the pure risk of injury.
WSI Church Elder

This actually does help the Sox. Swisher and Konerko have basically **** the bed so far this season. Griffey could be what the Sox offense/defense needs. Face it, the Sox defense ranks dead last in the AL. How much worse could Griffey be in CF? I mean we are talking about a perennial Gold Glove OF for countless years!

This most likely means that we would platoon Swisher/Konerko at 1B and probably have Thome sit against Leftys and place Konerko at DH. This just gives the Sox that many more options for a couple guys that have struggled throughout the season.

Oh, not to mention I absolutely love this deal. Griffey is still my favorite player. I will be purchasing a Griffey jersey in the near future!

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMMER View Post
Sounds like official announcement will come IF Griff, Jr approves the trade (Mike & Mike). I'm leaning to the negative - I'd rather have a faster, younger CF between CQ & JD than Griffey. Don't think he'll DH over Thome and Griffey hasn't played much 1B. Another expensive, aging, plodder - (home run or nothing) - exact opposite of what Sox need (IMO) -maybe there's another move along with it such as Griffey going elsewhere or PK or.... no word of Sox names - reminds me of the Alomar / Everett moves. Maybe lightening in a bottle?
Depending on who the Sox give up, I'm not so sure I like this...Its just that Ken Griffey is soooo old. He'd more or less be a platoon player and I'm not so sure I want him in CF...he's still a solid left handed bat, but...I don't get it.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms620 View Post
The bottom line is that he can't play adequate CF and hasn't in quite some time. Any defensive setup we utilize that involves him in CF automatically makes us weaker at catching the ball. BTW, PK's glove at first is really underrated despite his range issues this season.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeviBall! View Post
We have to wait and see if Thome and/or Konerko are still White Sox in a few hours. The only way this move makes any sense is if one of them is sent packing.
Yes, that would make some sense: Trade Thome to a team that needs a LH DH in exchange for a reliever. That way you're trading Thome's salary of 2009 that figures to be activated because he'll get enough at bats in exchange Griffey's for 2009. Plus, the Sox would not have to pick up Griffey's entire contact, though it is a big buyout if they don't.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeviBall! View Post
I don't think either will be sent packing, but I wonder if Paulie won't be put on the DL again -- they were saying on WSCR, one of the writers, that Konerko's hand is just not healed. His horrible season makes more sense if you factor in an injury. And if he's injured, he shouldn't play -- he obviously isn't going to play himself better.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
The bottom line is that he can't play adequate CF and hasn't in quite some time. Any defensive setup we utilize that involves him in CF automatically makes us weaker at catching the ball. BTW, PK's glove at first is really underrated despite his range issues this season.
I am not saying I disagree with you, as I think PK is better at first then peple give him credit for. I am jsut saying that you need to consider the tandems, not the indivudal players.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post
This actually does help the Sox. Swisher and Konerko have basically **** the bed so far this season. Griffey could be what the Sox offense/defense needs. Face it, the Sox defense ranks dead last in the AL. How much worse could Griffey be in CF? I mean we are talking about a perennial Gold Glove OF for countless years!

This most likely means that we would platoon Swisher/Konerko at 1B and probably have Thome sit against Leftys and place Konerko at DH. This just gives the Sox that many more options for a couple guys that have struggled throughout the season.

Oh, not to mention I absolutely love this deal. Griffey is still my favorite player. I will be purchasing a Griffey jersey in the near future!
I've seen a few Reds games this year and Griffey looks old and beaten in RF much less in CF...putting Griffey in CF would give us possibily the slowest and worst OF in MLB...
Closed Thread