White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2008, 09:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
I like Poreda, too, and think he has one of the better arms in the system, but also have doubts if he can be a starter. He seems to last 5 or 6 innings the most in the minors. He may eventually be in the bullpen, especially if he can't develop a secondary pitch.

Maybe that is why he should stay in the minors another year or two: to work on his other pitches.

I don't know if aside from Richard they have any other starter prospects in the system for next year. They do have a number of relievers I like, like Link and Rodriguez, and they may be able to help in 2009.
Completely agree with this, but with Poreda's hard sinking fastball I think he can easily be a one-pitch pitcher up here for the rest of the season, as long as he locates. I don't know why, but I just envision that whole thing working out very well for all involved if Poreda came up. The Sox wouldn't ask him to throw anything other than his best pitch, and he wouldn't throw anything other than his best pitch, and every out he'd get would build his confidence up and make him a stronger presence on the mound.

As for a full year though, yeah I'd definitely have my doubts. But for a few games and a few hitters? I think it could work out great, but it's risky.

Link and Rodriguez I really want to see though. They have the stuff and numbers to deserve it and either guy, or both, could stick. They're 2 of my 4 fav Sox RP prospects (Texeira and Poreda being the others) and I think they've got real shots. Even though Link has been in Birmingham, I still don't have any questions whatsoever about whether or not he can pitch in a hitter's park. He seems to be the type that is going to attack hitters without getting intimidated and ****ing around, and when you have enough stuff, that's all you need to succeed in the majors.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:35 AM
WSI Prelate

If we can just get through August, then with the 40-man roster callups in September we augment the bullpen with Broadway, Day, Egbert, Haeger, Harrell and Russell. I don't know that any of them would be great, but at least Ozzie would be able to mix and match and yank to his heart's content.

We could also use Owens just as a pinch runner.

Charlotte is 8 games back, so it's not like they're going anywhere. Besides, isn't it more important that the Sox have all the pieces they need?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
If we can just get through August, then with the 40-man roster callups in September we augment the bullpen with Broadway, Day, Egbert, Haeger, Harrell and Russell. I don't know that any of them would be great, but at least Ozzie would be able to mix and match and yank to his heart's content.

We could also use Owens just as a pinch runner.

Charlotte is 8 games back, so it's not like they're going anywhere. Besides, isn't it more important that the Sox have all the pieces they need?
Owens actually is finally playing well. He's hit well since coming back from his injury. It's a crowded outfield, but as a pinch runner and occasional speed at the bottom of the order guy, he might be okay.

I wouldn't trust all those pitchers you name, however. Day won't be called up, and I doubt Haeger, Egbert, or Harrel would be. From AAA, the only ones I could see them calling up while in the middle of a pennant race would be Rodriguez, Broadway, and Childers. Bu even Broadway has regressed this year.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
Owens actually is finally playing well. He's hit well since coming back from his injury. It's a crowded outfield, but as a pinch runner and occasional speed at the bottom of the order guy, he might be okay.

I wouldn't trust all those pitchers you name, however. Day won't be called up, and I doubt Haeger, Egbert, or Harrel would be. From AAA, the only ones I could see them calling up while in the middle of a pennant race would be Rodriguez, Broadway, and Childers. Bu even Broadway has regressed this year.
Frankly I don't care about these guys' long term prospects.

All I want to know is if each one of them can get ONE batter out ONCE each week.

If the Sox can just get through the seventh inning holding a lead without having to use Dotel or Linebrink (saved for the eighth) or Jenks (ninth), it will be enough of a difference.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Frankly I don't care about these guys' long term prospects.

All I want to know is if each one of them can get ONE batter out ONCE each week.

If the Sox can just get through the seventh inning holding a lead without having to use Dotel or Linebrink (saved for the eighth) or Jenks (ninth), it will be enough of a difference.
I was not referring to their long-term prospects but, rather, few arms in AAA are even ready to face major league batters, even one batter once a week. Ozzie would not trust them for one pitch.

Past experience shows that the Sox will not make a lot of call-ups of pitchers if they do not feel they can contribute.

Even last year, when the Sox were out of contention by September, they only called up Broadway and Heath Phillips (I believe he was the only other one). And they wasted Broadway, not giving him a start till the last week of the season. And he pitched great in that game.

I would not expect September callups to see any meaningful action. If they are used, it would probably be in blowouts.