White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2008, 05:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
That was from Sunday, and there's no other sources acknowleding it. I think that would be something even whitesox.com would write a piece on. Maybe BP is just saying he will be joining his brother............(if he signs), and they guessed on the amount.

Either way, I hope it happens soon.
I agree the blog and BP references are relatively meaningless... certainly not difinitive, but I see no reason why BP would "guess"...
Old 07-31-2008, 06:11 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68 View Post
I agree the blog and BP references are relatively meaningless... certainly not difinitive, but I see no reason why BP would "guess"...
I would not say that the blog is meaningless. That is why I put a "question mark" at the end of the headline. I also could not find any reference to it on the White Sox MLB page, Baseball America, or any other outlet. I was only reporting on what I found.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68 View Post
Yeah, I agree with that.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbTheCBB View Post
I would not say that the blog is meaningless. That is why I put a "question mark" at the end of the headline. I also could not find any reference to it on the White Sox MLB page, Baseball America, or any other outlet. I was only reporting on what I found.
Their "source" was probably an Internet message board.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 AM
New At WSI

Our source was Baseball Prospectus.

Rivals is also reporting that Danks will not be back with the Longhorns.

Check out the Rivals link below.

http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/co...asp?cid=825027

Stay well guys but please don't even think my sources are a message board. I also broke the story on the Chicago State baseball coach's resume being doctored. That is available at the link below.

http://thecollegebaseballblog.com/20...ies-on-resume/
Old 08-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Banned

Just a quick update to this thread, I have a friend in Cincinnati who follows Xavier baseball fairly closely and knows a few people with the program. He tells me he expects Charlie Leesman to sign right near the deadline for an above slot bonus. For what it's worth, just thought I'd pass it along.

Leesman is a pitcher who was the White Sox 11th round pick.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:59 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2906 View Post
Just a quick update to this thread, I have a friend in Cincinnati who follows Xavier baseball fairly closely and knows a few people with the program. He tells me he expects Charlie Leesman to sign right near the deadline for an above slot bonus. For what it's worth, just thought I'd pass it along.

Leesman is a pitcher who was the White Sox 11th round pick.
Do you know much/anything about Leesman as a player, and what to expect from him if he does sign?
Old 08-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you know much/anything about Leesman as a player, and what to expect from him if he does sign?
Not really, other than he's a large framed left handed pitcher whose stats were weak on an underachieving Xavier squad. He's big and projectable, something like 6'4 230, and was drafted previously, way low in the draft.

Wish I knew more.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:40 AM
WSI Regular

Default Draft Pick Signings?

Any news on Beckham? Also, why does Jordan Danks think he deserves 2nd round money when he was a 7th round pick? Did I miss something here?
Old 08-13-2008, 10:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by balz1472 View Post
Any news on Beckham? Also, why does Jordan Danks think he deserves 2nd round money when he was a 7th round pick? Did I miss something here?
There are two threads on this in the minor league forum.

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:32 PM
WSI Personality

Interesting info about Leesman, thanks for posting it. I guess we'll see in the next 48 hours if there's a press release confirming it... I certainly hope so.

I went ahead and counted 14th round pick Jorden Merry out of the equation, as he has shown absolutely no interest in leaving Wash. St. He has continued to play summer ball, which is a common offseason activity for returning college players. Of course, the big news is Beckham signing, and if we can get Danks and Leesman, I'd say we might be talking about this draft for a while.

Anyone have any other information about latter picks, particularly Jonathan Weaver?

Also, take this Jordan Danks info FWIW... purely speculative: http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/sh...d=1169&style=2

I'm a lifetime fan with no connection to Chicago -- living the dream through the TV screen.

All-time Attendance Record: 4-6

Last edited by chaotic8512; 08-13-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:47 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
PGCrosschecker scout reports:

Quote:
COUTING REPORT (3/1): Leesman has a live arm from a high three-quarters slot with a fastball that is a consistent 88-90 mph and peaked at 93 last summer in the Great Lakes League. He may need to throw more strikes with the pitch as he progresses, but scouts say he is effectively wild and has a chance to be a solid big league starter. He complements his fastball with a slurvy slider that he is able to throw more consistently for strikes, and he gets good sinking action on his changeup. He went 2-1, 2.61 for the Cincinnati Steam last summer, with 13 walks and 28 strikeouts in 31 innings. He limited opponents to a .190 average. As a sophomore at Xavier, he went 4-3, 4.22 with only 47 strikeouts in 81 innings. Leesman, a 40th-round draft pick of the Minnesota Twins out of high school, had labrum surgery on his shoulder in September 2005 but never took a red-shirt and shows no lingering effects from the injury.—ALLAN SIMPSON
UPDATE (5/15): Projected to be the No. 2 draft in the state behind Kent State righthander Chris Carpenter at the start of the 2008 season, Leesman did not pitch particularly well all year as Xavier’s Friday starter, going 2-6, 5.32 with 29 walks and 48 strikeouts in 66 innings. Most damning was his .338 opponent batting average. His stuff—an 89-90 mph fastball that touched 92-93, a improving breaking ball with better bite and a developing cut fastball—was solid, but he didn’t mix it up well enough to keep hitters off balance and keep them in doubt what pitch was coming. The command and sharpness of his breaking stuff, in particular, also came and went. Still, he’s lefthanded and there is plenty of upside in his big frame.—AS
Fairly promising, hopefully he does get signed.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic8512 View Post
Anyone have any other information about latter picks, particularly Jonathan Weaver?
Weaver has an offer to go play JC ball. He's waiting to see what the Sox offer. I believe that depends on what happens with Danks.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:33 PM
WSI Personality

Final updates, by pick:

#29: Randall Thorpe to honor Aggie commitment:
http://www.aggiebaseball.net/
(About a sixth of the way down the page at the end of the first blurb titled "Big 12 Coach of the Year Rob Childress", before "recent posts" -- I'm not about to get burned by another three-day suspension!)

#38: Steve Domecus to transfer to Virginia Tech
http://www.hokiesports.com/baseball/...080813aaa.html

That's all I can find. Outside of Jonathan Weaver, for whom I can't find any information (jabrch, where did you find that piece of info?), it would be pretty safe to assume we didn't sign anyone else. I'd say we had a pretty solid draft, KW Jr. aside.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Banned

15th round pick SS Tyler Kuhn is off to a nice start in GF.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=518906