White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Banned

Default Beckham, Danks and Long

Now that the Sox have signed Upchurch. I'm really hoping that we can sign these 3 guys and our future with these 4 guys will be very solid....
Old 07-02-2008, 09:52 AM
WSI High Priest

In the White Sox blog yesterday, they mention that Danks was at USCF yesterday taking BP with Konerko and Ozney Guillen. Sounds promising. The two line blurb on it made it sound like they are pretty confident Danks will sign, although it would be later in the summer.

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Banned

the trib mentions that the sox will be meeting with Kyle Long very soon.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:48 AM
MMXXIII

I'm pretty confident the Sox will sign Beckham and Danks, but I'm not expectign them to sign Long, unless they're prepared to pay good money for him, I think he'll be heading to FSU.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 07-02-2008, 10:55 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm pretty confident the Sox will sign Beckham and Danks, but I'm not expectign them to sign Long, unless they're prepared to pay good money for him, I think he'll be heading to FSU.
I don't think all the money in the world will keep Long away from FSU...I hope I'm wrong but I can't see it happening.

We wll get Beckham and danks, count on it.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Banned

it's a very slim chance that we sign Long but with the Sox meeting him in a few days gives me hope that something can get done ..

He is probably looking for 1st round money an if our scouts think he is that dam good than why not give it to him
Old 07-02-2008, 11:17 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly View Post
He is probably looking for 1st round money an if our scouts think he is that dam good than why not give it to him
I agree... Beckham, Danks, and Long would be one heck of a draft class, but that's easy for me to say since I don't sign the checks.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:28 PM
WSI Personality

Good article about Danks on whitesox.com. Here is the link. In short, Danks states that he wants to get going as soon as possible and know where he is going to be playing.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:38 PM
WSI Prelate

I agree - nearly no chance on Long. Although we know his family has an affinity for Silver and Black..

Weaver is a kid we have a shot at - if we really want to pay him big money. If not, he goes to a JC next year and hopes to get drafted somewhere in the top 10 rounds or better.

Even if it doesn't work out with Long, maybe this sets groundwork to redraft him after his Jr. year.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Yah, I think I read it on this board, something about when we drafted Long he sent someone a text message that just said 'Noles or something. He isn't coming here unless we go extremely over slot.

Maybe Kenny will come to his senses and trade Uribe and used the money saved to sign some of these kids. I think to rebuild the farm, we need a couple drafts in a row of high spending to lock up the tough signs.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

I don't understand why we would waste a draft pick if we had no shot to sign them? We've not been in the top 10 in the draft in over 10 years right? So we've saved a **** load of money not having to pay big money for the draft... why not draft some of these guys that want 1st round money to go pro? If they are going to come out in the 1st round in 2 years, whats the difference? Take your chance on him right now, let your MAJOR LEAGUE coaches help them for the 2 years they would have been in college and now after 2 years you've got a 1st round draft pick that you've already paid for... seems like the quickest way to stock your farm system; take a guy that project to be headed to college but has 1st round talent in the 10th round... pay him like he was drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, develop him for 2 years like he is in college and move on! If the Sox would do this on an occasion when we've depleted our farm system, things would be looking up a lot quicker!
Old 07-02-2008, 02:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
I don't understand why we would waste a draft pick if we had no shot to sign them? We've not been in the top 10 in the draft in over 10 years right? So we've saved a **** load of money not having to pay big money for the draft... why not draft some of these guys that want 1st round money to go pro? If they are going to come out in the 1st round in 2 years, whats the difference? Take your chance on him right now, let your MAJOR LEAGUE coaches help them for the 2 years they would have been in college and now after 2 years you've got a 1st round draft pick that you've already paid for... seems like the quickest way to stock your farm system; take a guy that project to be headed to college but has 1st round talent in the 10th round... pay him like he was drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, develop him for 2 years like he is in college and move on! If the Sox would do this on an occasion when we've depleted our farm system, things would be looking up a lot quicker!
Well it'd be the MINOR LEAGUE coaches that would develop these players. Thing is, there is extraordinary pressure by the league and by other owners to not go above slot on these deals. Yes, this is anticompetitive, this is collusion, this is illegal, but it's also a reality. Sure, teams go over from time to time, but to do it on multiple picks would be pushing it...this was the issue with J.D. Drew and the Phillies. Reinsdorf isn't one to go against the league.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:35 PM
WSI Prelate

I know that JR actually defying MLB "suggestions (mandates)" is not likely, but realistically, what would the MLB do to an organization if they started routinely paying "over slot" money to draft picks?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Banned

Lets say the Sox signed all 3..

Who will be the top 5 prospects in our minor league system
Old 07-02-2008, 03:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofCSoxFan View Post
Well it'd be the MINOR LEAGUE coaches that would develop these players. Thing is, there is extraordinary pressure by the league and by other owners to not go above slot on these deals. Yes, this is anticompetitive, this is collusion, this is illegal, but it's also a reality. Sure, teams go over from time to time, but to do it on multiple picks would be pushing it...this was the issue with J.D. Drew and the Phillies. Reinsdorf isn't one to go against the league.
Just because they are working in the minor leagues developing players does not mean they are not MAJOR LEAGUE coaches developing these players? Why would you have a MAJOR LEAGUE coach "developing" players while they are playing in the big show? No, you have those guys down in the minors getting players ready for the majors.