White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008, 04:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevr say dye sox View Post
I've seen him play quite a bit, I hink he is exactly what the sox need right now. ... He works the count extremely well, lays down bunts and can steal bases.
Nothing Greg Walker can't fix!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:46 PM
WSI Regular

So why hasn't he? I was watching the Cubs/Sox game Sun night and Dempster laid down a perfect bunt to move the runner over. I thought to myself why do we have so much trouble doing that. There is not one guy on the Sox right now I feel could lay down a bunt consistantly when needed. Maybe Ozuna is our best, but he's average at best.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
So why hasn't he? I was watching the Cubs/Sox game Sun night and Dempster laid down a perfect bunt to move the runner over. I thought to myself why do we have so much trouble doing that. There is not one guy on the Sox right now I feel could lay down a bunt consistantly when needed. Maybe Ozuna is our best, but he's average at best.
Alexei Ramirez. He's by far our best bunter, and actually pretty damn good at it.

BTW, Sox pitchers can usually lay down a bunt. It makes no sense why our position players can't do it, but when called upon, our pitchers have gotten the job done in the past.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:55 PM
btrain929

Ozzie probably figures if we get a guy to 2nd or 3rd with less than 2 outs, we can't get them in to score anyways, so might as well swing away and go for a big inning (half teal).

But yes, I like Getz and would love for him to surprise on the MLB level. He reminds me of a way better Craig Counsell.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:06 PM
WSI Regular

actually my buddy said the same exact thing...and he played/ roomed with Craig Counsell at Notre Dame.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I've seen him play quite a bit, I hink he is exactly what the sox need right now. I've posted this before and other people on the board have bashed me. He works the count extremely well, lays down bunts and can steal bases. He is a very gutsy high work ethic guy. He may be a career bench guy, however I think he could make an impact right now.
Getz at 2nd, Alexei in CF...goodbye Uribe?
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-24-2008, 08:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
EDIT: And then again, there may be the option to move Beckham to 3B. Whichever way we go doesn't matter, things look good for our infield in the upcoming years.
I'm intrigued by your "EDIT" paragraph. Obviously I'd like the Sox to keep Crede, but I do think he's likely gone. That means we've got Fields' below-average glove for 2009 and 2010. But Beckham ought to be ready by 2011, when PK's contract is done. If Ramirez and Richar are good up the middle (perhaps with Getz as the utility guy), Fields could move to 1B to open up 3B for Beckham. He already seems to have "good enough" power for 3B, and his defensive skills at short should allow him to play 3B better than Fields. If they could just find a young catcher to develop and learn from AJ, their infield could be set for the next decade.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:44 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I'm intrigued by your "EDIT" paragraph. Obviously I'd like the Sox to keep Crede, but I do think he's likely gone. That means we've got Fields' below-average glove for 2009 and 2010. But Beckham ought to be ready by 2011, when PK's contract is done. If Ramirez and Richar are good up the middle (perhaps with Getz as the utility guy), Fields could move to 1B to open up 3B for Beckham. He already seems to have "good enough" power for 3B, and his defensive skills at short should allow him to play 3B better than Fields. If they could just find a young catcher to develop and learn from AJ, their infield could be set for the next decade.
Donny Lucy is a pretty good catcher, he just can't hit, there is nothing AJ can teach him really, although he might be able to teach AJ to catch a knuckleballer,
Old 06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Donny Lucy is a pretty good catcher, he just can't hit, there is nothing AJ can teach him really, although he might be able to teach AJ to catch a knuckleballer,
Couldn't AJ teach him to be annoying to, and hated by, the opposition?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Maybe by opposing teams, but not by opposing people. I saw Donny Lucy down at Spring Training. After every game, the girls were all over him.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:21 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
That is a skill you need to be born with, it can't be taught.

It is a skill I possess BTW.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Looking at Getz' stats, he seems to be a really good hitter. Not so sure about his D, though. Is at least okay? Any chance he can learn, say, left field.
He was a fairly high pick a few years ago.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Couldn't agree more with this for a team supposedly depleted of prospects, our infield seems to have a lot of long-term options.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg83 View Post
Couldn't agree more with this for a team supposedly depleted of prospects, our infield seems to have a lot of long-term options.
Signing Alexei and drafting Beckham goes a long way toward fixing things.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
What would be the best guess for Getz to actually have a chance to win a Major League job? Next year, 2010, or 2011?
Next year when Cabrera and Uribe are gone and Ramirez is your starting SS... sure as hell looks like there is an opening at 2B.