White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008, 12:06 PM
WSI Regular

Default Getz named to Futures Game

Chris Getz has been named to the All Stars Futures game, also he is a finalist to play on the USA team which will be competing in the 08' olymipics.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Good for him!

I just do not understand why some people already have him pegged as a career AAAA player, when this is his first season in AAA.

The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Good for him!

I just do not understand why some people already have him pegged as a career AAAA player, when this is his first season in AAA.

In the perpetual race to jump to a conclusion, everyone feels that they need to be bold to win. It is way to early to make any conclusions on Getz, and unless you have seen a lot of him play, we really don't have enough information to make that call anyhow.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:24 PM
WSI High Priest

I really like Getz. He's very grindy, which makes you think Kenny likes him too.

He's been playing SS and LF too, so maybe he's being groomed as a bench player, that can play his way into the starting lineup.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:41 PM
WSI Regular

I've seen him play quite a bit, I hink he is exactly what the sox need right now. I've posted this before and other people on the board have bashed me. He works the count extremely well, lays down bunts and can steal bases. He is a very gutsy high work ethic guy. He may be a career bench guy, however I think he could make an impact right now.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:44 PM
WSI High Priest

What would be the best guess for Getz to actually have a chance to win a Major League job? Next year, 2010, or 2011?
Old 06-24-2008, 01:46 PM
WSI Personality

Good for him. Do you think he's passed Richar on the organizational "depth chart"?

Last edited by GAsoxfan; 06-24-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Getz is 4-5 today. One bunt single, and an infield single.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:06 PM
WSI Regular

the infield single today was a bunt that he beat out which moved the runner over. Something that we have trouble with at the major league level. I would think he should get a call up at the end of the year. Which means somebody would have to be taken off the major league roster because he's not on the 40 man. I'm not sure if he's past Richar on the depth chart, but believe me Getz has a chance to be a lot better than most people here think. He is exactly what Ozzie wants on this team, and my feeling is try to promote from within before we have to pay for it somewhere else. I think they should send Uribe down, and platoon Ramierez and Getz and see if he can help us now!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevr say dye sox View Post
the infield single today was a bunt that he beat out which moved the runner over. Something that we have trouble with at the major league level. I would think he should get a call up at the end of the year. Which means somebody would have to be taken off the major league roster because he's not on the 40 man. I'm not sure if he's past Richar on the depth chart, but believe me Getz has a chance to be a lot better than most people here think. He is exactly what Ozzie wants on this team, and my feeling is try to promote from within before we have to pay for it somewhere else. I think they should send Uribe down, and platoon Ramierez and Getz and see if he can help us now!
Sending down Uribe would not take him off the 40 man roster unless if we were to DFA him and that seems like the mosl likely thing to happen after Dewayne Wise gets DFA'd again when Paulie's back
Old 06-24-2008, 02:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
What would be the best guess for Getz to actually have a chance to win a Major League job? Next year, 2010, or 2011?
I'd say next year. Either him or Richar at 2B. Although, by the beginning of 2010, Beckham should be ready or at least very, very close.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
I'd say next year. Either him or Richar at 2B. Although, by the beginning of 2010, Beckham should be ready or at least very, very close.
No Becham at Short?
Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevr say dye sox View Post
What has Ramirez done to deserve a platoon situation? He's earned the starting job. Sorry to Getz, he's having a great season, but we're solid up the middle right now.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogosox16 View Post
No Becham at Short?
That's still to be determined, but we may be looking at Alexei at SS, and Beckham at 2B.

EDIT: And then again, there may be the option to move Beckham to 3B. Whichever way we go doesn't matter, things look good for our infield in the upcoming years.

Last edited by oeo; 06-24-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
That's still to be determined, but we may be looking at Alexei at SS, and Beckham at 2B.
Yea I would be happy with that. I'm just hoping the Sox can sign him right away after the CWS so he can get as much playing time as he can this year and next year to be ready for 2010