White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2008, 01:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Default 6/21 Games

Lehigh Valley-Charlotte 6:15
Jacksonville-Birmingham 7:05
Wilmington-Winston-Salem 5:00
West Virginia-Kanny 6:05
Bristol-Burlington 5:30
Billings-Great Falls 8:00

4/10 VS Twins: L 2-1
5/8 VS Blue Jays: W 7-3
6/5 VS Indians: L 3-1
6/11 @ Cubs: W 10-5
7/26 VS Mariners: W 6-1
8/29 VS Yankees: L 2-1
Old 06-21-2008, 08:44 PM
WSI Personality

ELDRED again!!!!!
That's 26. Oh yeah, and 72 RBI's. I don't care if it is only AAA.
Ask yourself this: would Thome, Swisher, Konerko, or anyone else on our Major League roster have 26 homers, in just 277 at bats, playing at Charlotte?

You can all make your own suggestions regarding how best to exploit this resource, but I find it hard to believe that neither the Sox, nor any other team, could use his slugging prowess.
Please don't try to explain this away with, "career minor leaguer", or "he strikes out too much".
He's on a pace to strike out about 170 times. That ratio to his .615 slugging percentage is not that terrible. Josh Fields had 58 strike outs in just 175 at bats on the same team, before he was put on the DL. His slugging percentage was .474, and he had 8 homers. Eldred is proving himself to be a better offensive player than Fields. Neither one of them is much of a defensive player. Eldred is only a year older than Fields. I make these comparisons simply to point out that Eldred should be considered a serious potential Major Leaguer. After all, Fields never put up numbers like this, and he had moderate success last year in the Bigs. Brad should be given the same opportunity to prove himself. He certainly doesn't have much more to prove at AAA.

He appears to be a guy who can regularly put up 40 plus homers annually at the higher Minor League level. Some team would most certainly like to see what he could do in extended time in the Big Leagues.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Silverio--grand slam and 7 RBIs
Old 06-21-2008, 08:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

I might be wrong, but isn't Charlotte one of the best hitter's parks in all of professional baseball?

Eldred is facing pretty cruddy pitching and is still striking out 4 times per walk, which is absolutely terrible. That's not to say he can produce in the majors, but he'll have a ton of Ks, a low average, a low OBP, and maybe 10-12 HR in the 2nd half. How is that any better than what Thome (low average, high OBP, 10-15 HR 2nd half) can do? Other than DH and 1B, he has nowhere else to play, and those spots are already taken up by guys who can replicate that production pretty easily. Not to mention Josh Fields, who will put up Eldred-like numbers with a higher OBP and a bit more position flexibility.

Eldred could end up having a role on this team, but don't expect it to be anything more than a bench power bat. Also, due to his previous production and current age, he has about as much value in a trade as a healthy Joe Borchard.

As for Silverio, he's off to an absolutely scorching start, but his OBP is lower than his batting average. He'll need to develop some plate discipline in the next three years.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White Sox View Post
As for Silverio, he's off to an absolutely scorching start, but his OBP is lower than his batting average. He'll need to develop some plate discipline in the next three years.
It's four games.

Then again, most Latin players don't have much plate discipline. That Vlad Guerrero guy isn't too shabby.

It'll be interesting to see how his season goes. Whether he's 17 or 20, if he can play, who cares?
Old 06-21-2008, 10:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I might be wrong, but isn't Charlotte one of the best hitter's parks in all of professional baseball?

Eldred is facing pretty cruddy pitching and is still striking out 4 times per walk, which is absolutely terrible. That's not to say he can produce in the majors, but he'll have a ton of Ks, a low average, a low OBP, and maybe 10-12 HR in the 2nd half. How is that any better than what Thome (low average, high OBP, 10-15 HR 2nd half) can do? Other than DH and 1B, he has nowhere else to play, and those spots are already taken up by guys who can replicate that production pretty easily. Not to mention Josh Fields, who will put up Eldred-like numbers with a higher OBP and a bit more position flexibility.

Eldred could end up having a role on this team, but don't expect it to be anything more than a bench power bat. Also, due to his previous production and current age, he has about as much value in a trade as a healthy Joe Borchard.

I have to question the validity of comparisonsto players like Borchard, and Fields. When did either of them ever put up numbers like Eldred's? We have been over this already, but remember that this is not the first time that he has had huge power numbers in the Minors.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:04 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian View Post
I have to question the validity of comparisonsto players like Borchard, and Fields. When did either of them ever put up numbers like Eldred's? We have been over this already, but remember that this is not the first time that he has had huge power numbers in the Minors.
Ladies and gentlemen.......

Lillian = Wife of Brad Eldred

I hope Brad is paying you extra for the time your putting in here at WSI
Old 06-21-2008, 10:24 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
First of all, he has hit 16 of his 26 homers on the road. Second, who is to say that any of his Charlotte homers were cheap? The man is a very big, strong guy. I would be surprised if any significant portion of his homers have been cheap. Finally, the Charlotte Park doesn't have much smaller dimensions than the Cell.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
Ladies and gentlemen.......

Lillian = Wife of Brad Eldred

I hope Brad is paying you extra for the time your putting in here at WSI
Touche. Very funny. I just have a difficult time understanding how some people want to explain away a guy's impressive production with so many negative comments. Of course he strikes out a lot, not unlike a lot of power hitters. So tell us something we don't already know.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
ELDRED again!!!!!
Eldred is only a year older than Fields.
Fields is injured this year. He's also 2 and half years younger than Eldred, not one (7/1980 vs. 12/1982). Those 2 and a half years make a big difference--it's the difference between being a young player and a player in his prime.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:52 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeFabregas View Post
Fields is injured this year. He's also 2 and half years younger than Eldred, not one (7/1980 vs. 12/1982). Those 2 and a half years make a big difference--it's the difference between being a young player and a player in his prime.
I stand corrected on the age difference. I was thinking that Fields was already 26, but he won't turn 26 until the end of the year. Thanks for pointing it out.

My point has been right along, that he has always put up big numbers in the Minors, and has never really had a chance to prove himself at the Big League Level. His severe injury in the Spring of 2006 was partly responsible for that.

In any case. I appreciate the input, and I won't belabor the point further.
It will be interesting to me to see what transpires with him.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
ELDRED again!!!!!
That's 26. Oh yeah, and 72 RBI's. I don't care if it is only AAA.
Ask yourself this: would Thome, Swisher, Konerko, or anyone else on our Major League roster have 26 homers, in just 277 at bats, playing at Charlotte?
No - they'd have MUCH MUCH MUCH more than that.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The comparison to Borchard is based solely on how other teams would value him. He's an older power-hitting prospect with too many strikeouts and no positive major league numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
It's four games.

Then again, most Latin players don't have much plate discipline. That Vlad Guerrero guy isn't too shabby.

It'll be interesting to see how his season goes. Whether he's 17 or 20, if he can play, who cares?
Five games, but point taken. It's rookie ball and it's only five games. You're right in that his stats at this point should be taken as nothing more than an interesting observation.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Charlotte lost to Lehigh Valley 3-2
Loaiza: 3 IP, 6 hits, 2 ERs, 0 BBs, 2 Ks.
Haeger (L, 5-6): 6 IP, 2 hits, 1 run (0 earned), 1 BB, 6 Ks.
Richar: 0 for 4, 1 K.
Eldred: 2 for 4, 1 HR (26), 1 RBI, 1 run, 1 K.
Cook: 1 for 4, 1 HR (1), 1 RBI, 1 run, 1 K.
Getz: 3 for 4, 1 2B.
Castillo: 2 for 4.
Bourgeois: 1 for 5, 2 Ks.

Birmingham beat Jacksonville 2-0
C. Torres (W, 8-3): 8 IP, 6 hits, 0 ERs, 3 BBs, 5 Ks.
Link (S, 19): 1 IP, 0 hits, 0 ERs, 0 BBs, 0 Ks.
Nanita: 2 for 3, 1 RBI, 1 run, 1 K.
Mercedes: 1 for 4, 1 2B, 1 run, 2 Ks.
Schnurstein: 1 for 3, 1 K.
Negron: 1 for 4.
Armstrong, Hall, and Valido singled.

Winston-Salem beat Wilmington 10-8
Carter (W, 1-2): 6 IP, 5 hits, 2 ERs, 2 BBs, 0 Ks, 1 HR allowed.
Spurgeon: 2 IP, 4 hits, 2 runs (1 earned), 1 BB, 1 K.
Davis: 1 IP, 4 hits, 4 ERs, 0 BBs, 0 Ks, 1 HR allowed.
Shelby: 2 for 4, 1 HR (8), 1 2B, 4 RBIs, 1 run, 1 K.
Orlando: 5 for 5, 1 RBI, 3 rusn.
Allen: 2 for 4, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 2 Ks.
Retherford: 2 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 run.
Bonvechio: 2 for 4.
Sanchez and Killian singled.

Kanny beat West Virginia 14-3
Rice (W, 4-5): 6 IP, 7 hits, 2 ERs, 1 BB, 3 Ks, 1 HR allowed.
Hunt: 2 IP, 1 hit, 0 ERs, 1 BB, 3 Ks.
Bowling: 1 IP, 3 hits, 1 ER, 0 BBs, 2 Ks, 1 HR allowed.
Fleisher: 2 for 4, 1 HR (2), 5 RBIs, 1 BB, 2 runs, 1 K.
Gallagher: 4 for 6, 1 RBI, 1 run, 1 K.
Mollenhauer: 2 for 6, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 2 runs, 1 K.
Morales: 2 for 4, 1 RBI, 2 BBs, 3 runs, 1 K, SB (8).
Johnson: 2 for 3, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 run, 1 K.
Miranda: 2 for 4, 2 RBIs, 1 BB, 2 runs.
Marrero and Inouye singled.

Bristol beat Burlington 10-4
G. Johnson (W, 1-0): 5.1 IP, 6 hits, 2 runs (1 earned), 0 BBs, 7 Ks.
Gouvea (S, 1): 3.2 IP, 2 hits, 2 ERs, 1 BB, 3 Ks, 1 HR allowed.
Silverio: 3 for 5, 1 HR (2), 7 RBIs, 2 runs.
Greene: 3 for 4, 2 2Bs, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 4 runs, 1 K, SB (2).
Damas: 1 for 4, 1 2B, 1 run, 2 Ks.
Castillo: 1 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 BB.
Garcia and Sierra singled. Kendall stole a base.

Great Falls beat Billings 4-3 in 10
Hudson: 3 IP, 1 hit, 0 ERs, 0 BBs, 4 Ks.
Carter: 2 IP, 4 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 Ks.
Lechuga: 3 IP, 2 hits, 1 ER, 0 BBs, 1 K, 1 HR allowed.
Morales (W, 2-0): 2 IP, 5 hits, 1 ER, 0 BBs, 1 K.
Gerst: 2 for 4, 1 HR (1), 1 2B, 2 RBIs, 1 BB, 2 runs.
Escobar: 4 for 5, 1 2B, 1 run.
Morel: 2 for 3, 1 3B, 1 RBI, 1 BB.
Avila: 2 for 5, 1 run, SB (1).
Cheatham and Estill singled.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Banned

His K/BB ratio would be impressive if he was a pitcher...