White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 AM
WSI Regular

Default Beckham big in UGA's CWS win

Mods: If this isn't in the right spot, please move.

Big win last night for the Bulldogs over Stanford - putting UGA at 2-0 and in control of Bracket 1.

First round pick Gordon Beckham went 2 for 4, with 2 runs scored including the game tying run. He also had 6 assists in the field.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 AM
WSI High Priest

He's a player. I watched the game last night, and he made a couple nice plays at SS too. He has a gun for an arm.

I think they drafted the right guy for this team.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 AM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
He's a player. I watched the game last night, and he made a couple nice plays at SS too. He has a gun for an arm.

I think they drafted the right guy for this team.
I heard his frame is better suited for 2B. Do you think he could stick at SS? Either way, no matter how you flip flop it, a future middle combination of Alexei and Beckham is very tantalizing. It's far away, and a good amount of development and improvement has to be involved, but it's still a nice thought.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
I heard his frame is better suited for 2B. Do you think he could stick at SS? Either way, no matter how you flip flop it, a future middle combination of Alexei and Beckham is very tantalizing. It's far away, and a good amount of development and improvement has to be involved, but it's still a nice thought.
Yeah, I think the same thing. He's not a big guy by any means. I think they're being generous saying he's 6'-185.

He could definitely be moved to 2B, but that'll be determined as he goes along. Hopefully they'll get him signed so he can play a little bit before the minor league season ends. Maybe the Arizona Fall League is in the plans. It wouldn't shock me if had a September callup in 2009, and an everyday player in 2010.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Does anyone who has seen Beckham play think that he could play third base?

Hypothetically, if Ramirez pans out at shortstop and Richar at second base, and assuming Crede leaves, we've got Fields at third base.

We all know that Fields is subpar defensively and may be best suited for 1B/DH.

So if Ramirez and Richar have entrenched themselves in the middle infield, could Beckham play well at third (to allow Fields to move to 1B or DH)?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:20 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfy View Post
Mods: If this isn't in the right spot, please move.

Big win last night for the Bulldogs over Stanford - putting UGA at 2-0 and in control of Bracket 1.

First round pick Gordon Beckham went 2 for 4, with 2 runs scored including the game tying run. He also had 6 assists in the field.
I hate that goddamned Packers logo.

-- Ari Gold

Old 06-17-2008, 12:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Does anyone who has seen Beckham play think that he could play third base?

Hypothetically, if Ramirez pans out at shortstop and Richar at second base, and assuming Crede leaves, we've got Fields at third base.

We all know that Fields is subpar defensively and may be best suited for 1B/DH.

So if Ramirez and Richar have entrenched themselves in the middle infield, could Beckham play well at third (to allow Fields to move to 1B or DH)?
I have not seen him play but Doug Lauman, the amateur scouting director for the Sox who drafted him, said that Beckham could play SS,2B, and 3B so it is a possibility.

The single greatest postgame thread ever conceived on WSI:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ostgame+Royals
Old 06-17-2008, 03:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBeeRichard View Post
I hate that goddamned Packers logo.
I think it's quite beautiful.

4/10 VS Twins: L 2-1
5/8 VS Blue Jays: W 7-3
6/5 VS Indians: L 3-1
6/11 @ Cubs: W 10-5
7/26 VS Mariners: W 6-1
8/29 VS Yankees: L 2-1
Old 06-17-2008, 04:17 PM
WSI Prelate

All this talk about him needing to move from SS because of his "frame" is utter nonsense. Watch the guy field the position just one game, and you will see exactly why. Great arm, instincts, top notch reaction, and way more than "adequate range." Sure he could add another 10-15 lbs and likely stay just as rangy and athletic if need be, but the guy is already very strong and just plain athletically built. Look at the frames of past GG winners at SS; Vizquel, Orlando, Rollins, Izturis, Rey O, all small guys and some even of the "small and wiry" variety. Probably not the range or pure quickness that some of those guys possessed, but he is is infinitely more rangy than guys like Jhhhhony or JJ Hardy.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:04 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corlose 15 View Post
I have not seen him play but Doug Lauman, the amateur scouting director for the Sox who drafted him, said that Beckham could play SS,2B, and 3B so it is a possibility.
If you can do a great job at SS, then 2B, and ESPECIALLY 3B are not hard transitions.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
All this talk about him needing to move from SS because of his "frame" is utter nonsense. Watch the guy field the position just one game, and you will see exactly why. Great arm, instincts, top notch reaction, and way more than "adequate range." Sure he could add another 10-15 lbs and likely stay just as rangy and athletic if need be, but the guy is already very strong and just plain athletically built. Look at the frames of past GG winners at SS; Vizquel, Orlando, Rollins, Izturis, Rey O, all small guys and some even of the "small and wiry" variety. Probably not the range or pure quickness that some of those guys possessed, but he is is infinitely more rangy than guys like Jhhhhony or JJ Hardy.

+1

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 06-17-2008, 10:57 PM
WSI Personality

I think he will be just fine at short, but if not it's good to know he could be an above-average 2b.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 PM
WSI Regular

I love the dawgs. I have a buddy from chicago who actually went to UGA for school and had nothing but good things to say about this kid. I think beckham will be on the south side for many years!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:14 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
You don't have to be an athlete to be a ballplayer, this kid is a genuine ballplayer, in every aspect.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
You don't have to be an athlete to be a ballplayer, this kid is a genuine ballplayer, in every aspect.
Where in my post did I say you had to be? The athlete comment was strictly used to say that the guy has the frame to add on pounds if needed, and he would likely stay just as athletic (as relates to range, flexibility, quickness, and what have you, needed to stick at SS). Personally, I don't think much (if any) weight gain is necessary because he is a strong, well-built guy. However, like I said, if he has to his frame can easily pack on the pounds without taking away any of the above mentioned attributes he currently has.