White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2008, 11:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Wasserman had something like a 0.00 ERA in 13 appearances before being called up - and got shelled.

Brad Eldred is less appropriate to be on a major league roster than Wasserman.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian View Post
He has a Minor League career fielding percentage of .991 at First.
He is not a bad fielding first baseman. On what are you basing your opinion?
Judging a player's fielding ability by his fielding percentage is like judging a meal based on it's picture. It doesn't tell you the balls that the average fielder would get to that he didn't, or the ball that he didn't pick on bad throws. There are things you have to see/experience in person in order to judge, and fielding ability is one of those things.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
Wasserman had something like a 0.00 ERA in 13 appearances before being called up - and got shelled.

Brad Eldred is less appropriate to be on a major league roster than Wasserman.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Right now, BA has a higher batting average than PK, Thome and Swisher.

Right now, BA has a higher slugging percentage than PK and Swisher.

Right now, in less than half the ABs, BA has just two fewer doubles than PK and Swisher, and just three fewer than Thome.

Right now, he's hitting .250 on the year, .300 in the Sox last ten games and .333 in June. He also hit .300 in April. He had a bad May. Paulie, Swisher and Thome have had a bad season.

He's also so good with the glove that his CF defense prevents hitters from getting on base because he plays short and can turn some singles into outs, turns some balls that otherwise would be XBHs into singles and therefore prevents runs from scoring.

I have no problem promoting Brad Eldred as a backup 1B and DH/PH, but frankly, I think Swisher is a better option than Eldred at 1B. And putting Swisher at 1B allows you to upgrade the CF defense. And based on performance this year, putting BA in the lineup is an offensive upgrade, too.
Thank you for posting this. About 90% of the negative assessments of BA are based on 2006-2007, he deserved to go into the doghouse for those 2 years, but he's obviously turned the corner. Still has some holes in his swing, etc....but he's played well this year and is improving and learning as you'd expect from a young player

I also think there have been some pretty good points to not dismiss Eldred entirely and if PK was out for the season...calling him up might make sense. But for a 15 day trip to the DL (if it happens), I'd rather add some speed off the bench (w/games at NL parks coming up) more than another slow footed slugger. I don't see how in that two week period Eldred is a better option for us than the Anderson in CF/Swisher at 1B combination.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-17-2008, 05:46 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Judging a player's fielding ability by his fielding percentage is like judging a meal based on it's picture. It doesn't tell you the balls that the average fielder would get to that he didn't, or the ball that he didn't pick on bad throws. There are things you have to see/experience in person in order to judge, and fielding ability is one of those things.
Of course you're right about needing to see a guy play. I did have that opportunity during the 3 weeks I spent in Tucson. He didn't display any glaring deficiencies. Have you seen him play much?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:37 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
And BA, terrible as he has been, has been overperforming compared to his career norms. Whereas the other guys are performing well below their career norms. I'm not the world's biggest Swisher fan, but he's shown flashes lately that are way above anything BA could provide.

The only way BA is hitting .250 for the year is if he gets sent down now.
Career norms? BA just had his 500th MLB at bat!

His "career norm" is heavily influenced by his bad first full season. He's on an upward trend.

I think you simply despise BA and never want to see him even have an opportunity to succeed with the Sox.

Some fan you are.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:32 AM
WSI Regular

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Career norms? BA just had his 500th MLB at bat!

His "career norm" is heavily influenced by his bad first full season. He's on an upward trend.

I think you simply despise BA and never want to see him even have an opportunity to succeed with the Sox.

Some fan you are.
I agree. BA now and Ba of 2006 are completely different people not only because he is swinging the bat better, but he has also matured alot as a person and teammate.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Banned

So what is he doing so well down there? He has an 18/77 BB/K ratio. That's horrendous in such a bad league.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:15 AM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
Good defense at first base is about as important as having a dominant 13th pitcher on your staff.
Thank you. You guys are acting like Eldred would be playing CF. Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez are examples of players that play below average defense at their regular position, have stepped in at 1B, and do a decent job.

What's the worst that can happen? He comes up for 2 weeks and either dominates and gives us an offensive spark, or he sucks (like Konerko probably would have done) and he goes back down. Eldred, Swisher, and BA can all rotate between 1B, CF, and the bench of course no Eldred in CF, but you know what I mean), giving them all good playing time as well as rest/days off/good hitter to come off the bench.

Every one else down there is either sucking or hurting. He's having a great year. Give him a shot.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
Thank you. You guys are acting like Eldred would be playing CF. Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez are examples of players that play below average defense at their regular position, have stepped in at 1B, and do a decent job.

What's the worst that can happen? He comes up for 2 weeks and either dominates and gives us an offensive spark, or he sucks (like Konerko probably would have done) and he goes back down. Eldred, Swisher, and BA can all rotate between 1B, CF, and the bench of course no Eldred in CF, but you know what I mean), giving them all good playing time as well as rest/days off/good hitter to come off the bench.

Every one else down there is either sucking or hurting. He's having a great year. Give him a shot.
Not only will Eldred come in with bad defense, when we have a good defender at 1B in Swisher, he would come in with a bad bat. Where are we going to put his fat ass in the lineup?

I thought we wanted to shy away from homerun or nothing...this guy is the epitome of homerun or nothing. He is not good, he never will be.

I hope we get a farm system in the next couple years, so we can stop hearing about how a 28-year-old minor league journeyman can help jumpstart the team. If Eldred was worth a damn, he wouldn't be in the Sox system this year.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:55 AM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Not only will Eldred come in with bad defense, when we have a good defender at 1B in Swisher, he would come in with a bad bat. Where are we going to put his fat ass in the lineup?

I thought we wanted to shy away from homerun or nothing...this guy is the epitome of homerun or nothing. He is not good, he never will be.

I hope we get a farm system in the next couple years, so we can stop hearing about how a 28-year-old minor league journeyman can help jumpstart the team. If Eldred was worth a damn, he wouldn't be in the Sox system this year.
Bad defense at SS is scary. Bad defense at 1B is not that bad, just because of the limited chances he'll get during a game. I'm not saying he can definitely help the team, but with Konerko going down, and him doing his job offensively down in Charlotte. Is giving him a week or two to see if anything has clicked with him and see if we can get a hot streak out of him that bad of an idea?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
Bad defense at SS is scary. Bad defense at 1B is not that bad, just because of the limited chances he'll get during a game. I'm not saying he can definitely help the team, but with Konerko going down, and him doing his job offensively down in Charlotte. Is giving him a week or two to see if anything has clicked with him and see if we can get a hot streak out of him that bad of an idea?
I think it is a bad idea. I don't want him playing in any of the 6 Cubs games, too much pressure for a AAA player. I don't want him playing at Los Angeles because I would want BA in CF at Dodger Stadium. Then PK comes off the DL in time for the Cleveland series.

Some speed off the bench is a better use of the roster spot for the next two weeks.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Banned

We really don't have any good options in Charlotte speed-wise. Owens has been horrible on the basepaths this season.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:54 AM
WSI Prelate

I just can't believe there is any support for bringing Brad Eldred up. I'd rather bring Julio Franco back.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Bring Richar up and dump Uribe or Ozuna. Play BA in Center
Forget Eldred - he's an organizational minor leaguer.