White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2008, 04:00 PM
WSI Personality

Default Sox sign a couple top draft picks

The Sox have signed third round pick Brent Morel (3B) and fourth round pick Drew O'Neill (P).

Anyone know anything about these guys?

They can't start negotiations with Beckham until his season with Georgia is over with.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotr...-signings.html
Old 06-13-2008, 06:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIsoxNation View Post
The Sox have signed third round pick Brent Morel (3B) and fourth round pick Drew O'Neill (P).

Anyone know anything about these guys?

They can't start negotiations with Beckham until his season with Georgia is over with.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotr...-signings.html

It's nice to see the Sox act quickly. Now they need to sign Jordan Danks and Beckham as soon as the CWS is over to show they have a strong commitment to fixing their minor league system.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:11 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
It's nice to see the Sox act quickly. Now they need to sign Jordan Danks and Beckham as soon as the CWS is over to show they have a strong commitment to fixing their minor league system.
One draft is not going to fix the problems they have with their minor league system, it is going to take Buddy Bell a few years to accomplish that.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
One draft is not going to fix the problems they have with their minor league system, it is going to take Buddy Bell a few years to accomplish that.
And we won't know the results of each draft for a few years - so the Buddy Bell era will take 5 years+ to evaluate properly.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:19 PM
WSI Personality

O'Neill is a side-arming college senior. He's more of a guy who can get to the majors quickly as a set-up guy than someone who is going to bolster the farm system.

This whole draft is so college-heavy that we should be able to judge it in three years or so.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
O'Neill is a side-arming college senior. He's more of a guy who can get to the majors quickly as a set-up guy than someone who is going to bolster the farm system.

This whole draft is so college-heavy that we should be able to judge it in three years or so.
I heard that people were saying he is kind of like Pat Neshek and is a guy who should go fast through the systems and be able to help the Sox by September call up, or sometime next year
Old 06-13-2008, 10:30 PM
WSI Guru

I'm intrigued by the 3rd baseman. With Crede leaving and the possibility of Fields eventually moving to first, he may be at 3rd base in three or four years.

Lip
Old 06-13-2008, 11:33 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogosox16 View Post
I heard that people were saying he is kind of like Pat Neshek and is a guy who should go fast through the systems and be able to help the Sox by September call up, or sometime next year
I think it's extremely unrealistic to think any of our guys can help us for September callups. I did hear, though, he is like Neshek like you mentioned, and he throws a heavy sinker where batters more often than not just pound the ball into the ground. This obviously would play well at the 'Cell.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:22 AM
WSI Personality

Sox have also signed OF Justin Greene. He's been added to the Bristol roster where he will team with the possibly 17 year-old Juan Silverio. Interesting sidenote, he's from Goose Creek High, so I assume he was a high school teammate of Wieters and Smoak.

Great Falls and Bristol start playing on Tuesday.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:00 PM
WSI Guru

Apparently Kenny Williams Jr. also signed (according to a newspaper story) and is being sent to Great Falls.

Lip
Old 06-15-2008, 12:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Apparently Kenny Williams Jr. also signed (according to a newspaper story) and is being sent to Great Falls.

Lip

And in equally surprising news, we have found out that water is wet.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Wasn't a big fan of the 3b pick. He sounds like a David Bell or Bill Mueller type 3b. He will hit for decent average, has a pretty ok glove, but has zero power besides gapping some doubles.

Also, has anyone besides people on this site talked about moving Fields to first. I know he has become everyone's favorite to move over there (basically Jermaine Dye 2), but I haven't heard one thing from the Sox to show they are even considering it. As far as I know he has played more SS then 1b in the minors.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:38 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Wasn't a big fan of the 3b pick. He sounds like a David Bell or Bill Mueller type 3b. He will hit for decent average, has a pretty ok glove, but has zero power besides gapping some doubles.

Also, has anyone besides people on this site talked about moving Fields to first. I know he has become everyone's favorite to move over there (basically Jermaine Dye 2), but I haven't heard one thing from the Sox to show they are even considering it. As far as I know he has played more SS then 1b in the minors.
It'd be funny (not really) if they did make that adjustment in the minors........just to see Konerko's eyebrow perk up and wonder what the hell is going on....
Old 06-15-2008, 07:53 PM
WSI Personality

I read a preview of the Great Falls team and apparently Dexter Carter and Dan Hudson have signed as well along with 26th rounder Doug Thennis.

link
Old 06-17-2008, 09:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post

Isn't it about time we starting to take that approach with a few players?