White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2008, 01:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Playing For Peanuts

Not sure if this should be here, so feel free to move...

Catching this show for the first time during White Sox rain dealy theatre and it really isn't that bad. It shows how crappy life really is at the low, unaffiliated minor league level and how much people are willing to sacrifice for their dreams.

Interestingly, Mike Caruso...yes that Mike Caruso, was a SS on this team. I'm shocked he is still playing pro baseball...at least he was last year.

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Banned

I love it, I try and catch every new episode and already put in my pre-order for the DVD.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

I almost invested in the League. The people wanted 50k and you would own a piece of the league. Good think I did not since it suspended operations.

Can't believe Caruso was there, I did not catch that.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Banned

Yeah good thing you didn't get in there. Odd that they had to suspend operations, it seemed like it had some solid attendance numbers.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:08 PM
WSI High Priest

They're bringing an IL team to central IL (Normal, IL). Mike Veeck is part of the ownership group spearheading the effort. Mike Caruso would be a type of guy they would bring in...someone with major league experience but probably too old to get a shot with most affiliated teams.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
They're bringing an IL team to central IL (Normal, IL). Mike Veeck is part of the ownership group spearheading the effort. Mike Caruso would be a type of guy they would bring in...someone with major league experience but probably too old to get a shot with most affiliated teams.
here is a summary.....

Heartland Community College officially committed to spending $3.5 million on a new ballpark at a meeting last night, clearing the way for an ownership group led by Mike Veeck to begin planning and construction of a new $11 million ballpark for an independent Frontier League team. The college had been debating whether to build its own smaller ballpark and recreation complex or put the $3.5 million toward a pro ballpark and full use of it during the school year, and the decision was made to join in the pro project. The Veeck group will raise the rest of the money for the ballpark and the Frontier League franchise (though, notably, longtime Veeck partner Marv Goldklang is not taking an ownership stake), and the city of Normal will contribute infrastructure improvements. The ballpark is expected to open for the 2010 season.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Good synopsis PH.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Good show. Several guys I use to play with ended up in low level minors and had a lot of stories. They seem to fit right in line with the show. I wish it could be on HBO to show the crazy stuff they actually do in their free time.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:54 AM
WSI Personality

I watched it yesterday too (actually, flipping between that and Dirty Jobs). I thought it was very interesting to see what these kids go through.

I didn't know the guy that does that show is the same guy that did the Irish baseball movie (Emerald Diamond). I got that for Christmas a few years ago and still haven't watched it.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Banned

I'm kinda hooked, but I love minor league baseball in general.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Now I know what happened to Wally Backman after the Sox canned him.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:05 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Now I know what happened to Wally Backman after the Sox canned him.

I think that it is odd that he is now the Joliet Jackhammers new coach, and that his son is on that team as well. I do enjoy watching Playing for Peanuts though, interesting viewpoints and gives me something to watch after watching the Sox on Sunday afternoons.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:22 PM
WSI Regular

Many of the former players from the now defunct South Coast league, are playing in the Frontier League and other independent leagues. My son is the pitching coach for the River City rascals, and he tells me that he has run into a few of their former players.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyCaterFan View Post
Many of the former players from the now defunct South Coast league, are playing in the Frontier League and other independent leagues. My son is the pitching coach for the River City rascals, and he tells me that he has run into a few of their former players.
I am sure that I saw your son kick the crap out of the Windy City T-bolts, very one has this year.