White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
Absolutely. He's from Stanford, so you know he has what it takes to be Chicago Tough...
Old 06-03-2008, 03:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockinchisox View Post
Law says that we are eyeing Jason Castro now.

I'd be pissed if we took Castro at 8, he's not top 10 material. Also the Giants are looking at G. Beckham.

Mayo has updated his mock draft and still has us picking Beckham.
I'd be pissed if we took Castro or Cashner. You don't draft JC closers with the # 8 pick in the draft!! We need an impact offensive player two years down the road with this pick.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 06-03-2008, 03:48 PM
WSI High Priest

They have to get a quality position player with a top-10 pick. A closer would be asinine.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:18 PM
WSI Personality

Geez, I couldn't stand him on the show, I'd hate the Sox drafting him.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
They have to get a quality position player with a top-10 pick. A closer would be asinine.
If they drafted Cashner at 8, they would most definitely be looking at him as a starter.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
:Jerry: "Son, do you know what slot money means?" That's what I thought. We'll be taking the best player that signs, below 'slot'.......
Old 06-03-2008, 11:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030 View Post
:Jerry: "Son, do you know what slot money means?" That's what I thought. We'll be taking the best player that signs, below 'slot'.......
Here's a homework assignment for Jerry:

Take the money you would have used to sign Mike D'Antoni, and put it towards Smoak. There you go.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:12 AM
WSI Personality

Default Could Wallace Catch?

If the Sox do end up with Wallace, what do you think about the feasibility of converting him to a catcher. He has a catcher's body, and an arm rated "above average". With his hitting prowess, he could be an outstanding player as a catcher. As a First Baseman, it would more difficult for him to distinguish himself from other good hitting guys at that position.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:55 AM
WSI Personality

From BAs Draft Blog today (6/4)...

Quote:
The White Sox have been linked to Arizona State’s two-time Pac-10 triple crown winner, Brett Wallace, at the No. 8 spot, but the Sox may be more interested in another Pac-10 lefthanded hitter. Chicago farm director Alan Regier was given extensive scouting duties in the wake of Dave Wilder’s firing. Regier, a former assistant coach at California, is the godfather of Stanford catcher Jason Castro. Regier’s recent promotion to the scouting side has fueled speculation that Castro, whose profile is similar to Chicago’s current catcher, A.J. Pierzynski, could be the Sox’ pick.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:59 AM
WSI High Priest

BP has us picking Smoak, and says that the Wallace rumors have died.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:03 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8mexico View Post
I cant understand why the Sox would want to Draft a SS. They have Ramirez and Juan Silverio.
Ramirez is listed at 26 which means he's more likely to be 30. There's no upside with him as what we see this year is likely what we can expect to get in the next 1 to 3 years.

Silverio is 17 and a PROJECT. No telling what we'll have there.

We have an organizational need in the middle infield and Beckham looks like a solid bet with a great bat. I'd be disappointed if we don't take him provided that he's available.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save McCuddy's View Post
Ramirez is listed at 26 which means he's more likely to be 30. There's no upside with him as what we see this year is likely what we can expect to get in the next 1 to 3 years.

Silverio is 17 and a PROJECT. No telling what we'll have there.

We have an organizational need in the middle infield and Beckham looks like a solid bet with a great bat. I'd be disappointed if we don't take him provided that he's available.
For all we know, Silverio is 25 and sucks at playing baseball.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'm probably leaning between Gordan Beckham and Smoak here.

Beckham has some good pop for a middle infielder, line drive hitter with a good arm and should be a decent shortstop or an above average second baseman. Also, he's not exactly a burner but according to milb.com's draft preview he is an excellent baserunner so that adds a good dynamic to the lineup.

Smoak, is a slow runner though not necessarily a base clogger and at best an average defender at first base so he fits into the mold of the slow probably station to station runner that people seem to have fits about being in the lineup around here. However, this guy's a switch hitter with 40 HR potential and that is pretty hard to pass on.

I'd be fine with either one. But if at 8 Smoak and Beckham are available which one would you guys all go for?

Also, all this information I gleaned off of milb.com's draft preview, I don't claim to be an insider.

The single greatest postgame thread ever conceived on WSI:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ostgame+Royals
Old 06-04-2008, 11:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corlose 15 View Post
I'm probably leaning between Gordan Beckham and Smoak here.

Beckham has some good pop for a middle infielder, line drive hitter with a good arm and should be a decent shortstop or an above average second baseman. Also, he's not exactly a burner but according to milb.com's draft preview he is an excellent baserunner so that adds a good dynamic to the lineup.

Smoak, is a slow runner though not necessarily a base clogger and at best an average defender at first base so he fits into the mold of the slow probably station to station runner that people seem to have fits about being in the lineup around here. However, this guy's a switch hitter with 40 HR potential and that is pretty hard to pass on.

I'd be fine with either one. But if at 8 Smoak and Beckham are available which one would you guys all go for?

Also, all this information I gleaned off of milb.com's draft preview, I don't claim to be an insider.
Smoak
Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Whoever they take, it should be exciting to watch the progress that prospect makes. Hopefully we can pick the right player that can become the impact bat this lineup needs...someone like a Ryan Braun, Jay Bruce, Tulowitzki (all picked in the 5-12 range in 2005).