White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2008, 11:16 PM
WSI Prelate

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...21705&n8pe6c=1

Keith Law's points...just for the record... (some paraphrased from another poster...)

1) Sox had the worst offseason in baseball
2) Law thinks Sox will regret Linebrink contract sooner rather than later.
3) Sox are NOT a contending team, especially in the AL Central, but are trying to act like one.
4) Sox should change directions and rebuild.
5) A bunch of WSI posters clearly agree in the thread that the offseason was a failure - and they have Law, Mariotti and Rogers to prove it... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...7645&highlight)
Old 05-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post

Keith Law's points...just for the record... (some paraphrased from another poster...)

3) Sox are NOT a contending team, especially in the AL Central, but are trying to act like one.
5) A bunch of WSI posters clearly agree in the thread that the offseason was a failure - and they have Law, Mariotti and Rogers to prove it... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...7645&highlight)
1) It was Law's contention that this roster -- which he perceived to be too far away in terms of talent (especially young talent) should try to rebuild. By acquiring Swisher and signing Linebrink, which cost 3 prospects plus a 2nd round draft pick, the Sox front office was very, very, very risky and could still pay the price for these moves. By Law's logic, it makes sense. I have doubts on whether this team can contend this season, and past that their window of opportunity is not so large.
2) I'm sure we will regret this. Four years for a reliever is insanity. Linebrink is awesome at the moment, but time will tell. The precedent for these types of contracts does not bode well.
3) Our pitching has been amazing, but our offense has looked horrid. Our pitching may come down and our offense may go up -- evening things out. I think we can contend, but there's so much room for improvement.
4) I don't think it would have been a terrible idea.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:39 PM
WSI Prelate

The yapping about Linebrink's contract was ridiculous. It's just not that much money no matter what happens - it's 4-5 mill a year, not 10 mill. That's Uribe money. That's 2.5 Cintrons. Big deal.
It's also, if I recall, Howry money...where was the yapping?

Discussing whether the trades was good makes sense; whether the Sox should have pushed as much in for this year was a good debate.

But "rebuilding" is unnecessary for a large market team; futher, the example used - Cleveland - has made ONE playoff appearance in the 7 or 8 years since rebulding and their attendance has tanked to crap levels - what a success that's been.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:

It was awesome reading through that thread again.
A couple of my favorite posts:
  • Banking on a rotation with Jose Contreras, John Danks, and Gavin Floyd hardly sounds like winning baseball.
  • Oh look. Another outlet mirrors my comments from the entire offseason.
    They must be dillusional.
  • The problem is that they don't get it. They're not a good team. They have no shot to contend with Detroit or Cleveland. Trying to improve the '08 club was the wrong strategy. I didn't mind the Swisher acquisition, but why are they giving up prospects?
Good times!

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 05-27-2008, 03:29 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White Sox View Post
If Poreda doesn't end up as a reliever, that would mean the Sox could end up with four lefties in their rotation (Buehrle, Danks, Poreda, Matusz) ... is that unheard of? I'm sure Buehrle would be gone by then, but 3 LHP is quite a bit too.
Now that Dumatrait has replaced Matt Morris in Pittsburgh's rotation, they have 4 lefties: Dumatrait, Zach Duke, Paul Maholm, and Tom Gorzelanny with Ian Snell, the lone righty.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:33 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
50 games into the season, that thread is hi-larious.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:02 PM
WSI High Priest

If Matusz or Crow isn't there, give me G Beckham or Smoak. I'd be happy with either.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Banned

The Rays are looking at Posey at number one are they not?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBobbyJenks View Post
Possibly, or Tim Beckam.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The yapping about Linebrink's contract was ridiculous. It's just not that much money no matter what happens - it's 4-5 mill a year, not 10 mill. That's Uribe money. That's 2.5 Cintrons. Big deal.
Personally, I prefer to put things in terms of how many Royce Claytons I can buy. 1 Linebrink is about 2 Royces or 13 Andy Gonzalezes.

"That was the plan no matter what. Because I had Kearns and 'MaTola,' whatever his name is, the first baseman, the fat guy, I don't know what ****ing name is - LaPorta - on the bench and I didn't want them to face Matt."
Old 05-29-2008, 09:19 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBobbyJenks View Post
This is a link to draft guru Jonathan Mayo. He posts his own little rumor mill when he hears them. He says the Rays might look at Beckham, Posey, or POSSIBLY Alvarez. Near the end, he mentions the White Sox. Instead of the normal Gordon Beckham and Brett Wallace rumors, he mentions 2 power-hitting 1B, and a college power reliever.

http://draft.mlblogs.com/archives/20...umor_mill.html
Old 05-29-2008, 09:22 PM
WSI High Priest

I really hope they take a run producer, whether it be Smoak, Wallace, or the other guy.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Law says that we are eyeing Jason Castro now.

I'd be pissed if we took Castro at 8, he's not top 10 material. Also the Giants are looking at G. Beckham.

Mayo has updated his mock draft and still has us picking Beckham.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockinchisox View Post
Law says that we are eyeing Jason Castro now.

I'd be pissed if we took Castro at 8, he's not top 10 material. Also the Giants are looking at G. Beckham.
Too bad we can't trade down, because Castro seems like he'd be a good player for our system
Old 06-03-2008, 11:44 AM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by fquaye149 View Post
Too bad we can't trade down, because Castro seems like he'd be a good player for our system
Absolutely. He's from Stanford, so you know he has what it takes to be Chicago Tough...