White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2008, 03:11 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottyj242 View Post
I hope they draft Shooter Hunt for name alone.
With honorable mentions going to Cutter Dykstra.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8mexico View Post
I cant understand why the Sox would want to Draft a SS. They have Ramirez and Juan Silverio.
Ramirez can move around and play a few positions, and Silverio won't be helping us for quite some time. You draft the best player available.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
I'm talking about the draft. The Sox are a team that historically have not been that tight-lipped about who they're drafting. The fact that KW was at an ASU game just stokes the fire. We'll see. I'd probably rather have Beckham, but Wallace is a proven commodity and a left-handed hitter so it would not be a terrible pick.
Kenny Williams son Kyle goes to Arizona State and was on the baseball team. So, that is one reason he could have been there is person.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:16 AM
WSI Personality

I'm skeptical of Gordon Beckham. He wasn't very highly touted coming out of high school, had decent numbers his first 2 years at Georgia, but is tearing it up this year. I know there are late bloomers, but I hope they've done their homework on this guy.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White Sox View Post
If Poreda doesn't end up as a reliever, that would mean the Sox could end up with four lefties in their rotation (Buehrle, Danks, Poreda, Matusz) ... is that unheard of? I'm sure Buehrle would be gone by then, but 3 LHP is quite a bit too.
The Pirates currently have four leftys in their starting rotation.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:57 AM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White Sox View Post
If Poreda doesn't end up as a reliever, that would mean the Sox could end up with four lefties in their rotation (Buehrle, Danks, Poreda, Matusz) ... is that unheard of? I'm sure Buehrle would be gone by then, but 3 LHP is quite a bit too.
Matusz will be gone by then.

My money is on Gordon Beckham, Brett Wallace, or Justin Smoak (if he is still available which is highly unlikely), with an outside consideration maybe to Yonder Alonso. I hope they take a mashing 1B, which is why I think it'll come down to the last 3 I mentioned. G.Beckham projects more as a 2B, and while you don't draft for need, our system is fairly deep at that position (Alexei, Richar, Getz, Shelby might move back).
Old 05-26-2008, 02:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Keith Law says he is hearing the Sox are leaning towards picking Beckham or Brett Wallace.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockinchisox View Post
Keith Law says he is hearing the Sox are leaning towards picking Beckham or Brett Wallace.

I guarantee you Keith Law is not hearing that from anyone who has any authority to make that decision - because none of those people would have anything to do with a guy like Keith Law.

He's got fewer inside White Sox connections than some of our posters.

Keith Law is a boob. He ought to work for the Inquirer if they had a sports section.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:01 AM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
I guarantee you Keith Law is not hearing that from anyone who has any authority to make that decision - because none of those people would have anything to do with a guy like Keith Law.

Keith Law is a boob. He ought to work for the Inquirer if they had a sports section.
Not exactly the same situation, but it's similar to NBA reporters saying they are hearing that the Bulls will be taking Derrick Rose with the 1st pick: he's just relaying to us what is the most likely action. Beckham and Wallace are the top 2 guys in the Sox eyes and have been for a while. I think that has to change though if a stud top 5 guy falls to us like Posey or Smoak.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

I foreget where I heard this but people are were saying that Gordan Beckman is probably the closest player to come out this draft to be ready for the majors right away. So That could be another reason if available to pick him in the case with OC not returning.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogosox16 View Post
I foreget where I heard this but people are were saying that Gordan Beckman is probably the closest player to come out this draft to be ready for the majors right away. So That could be another reason if available to pick him in the case with OC not returning.
I read in BA just yesterday that it was Tim Beckham that was one of the top 3 closest to the majors from HS. I didn't see "our" Beckham on the college top 3.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:54 AM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
I read in BA just yesterday that it was Tim Beckham that was one of the top 3 closest to the majors from HS. I didn't see "our" Beckham on the college top 3.
Tim Beckham is top 3 closest to the majors "from HS." If he's the best HS player in the country, of course he'll be in the top 3 in HS to get to the majors. But as a player in general, he's not someone who's going to shoot through a system. He's still young and raw with many tools that need to develop. The type of players that should shoot through a system are the big time college bats and the top college relievers. I believe Brett Wallace falls into the former, being touted as one of if not the best bat in the draft with a great combination of power to all fields and great patience and feel for the strike zone.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post

You base this on...? I would bet my life you are wrong that he has no connections to any scouts associated with the Chicago White Sox.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
Tim Beckham is top 3 closest to the majors "from HS." If he's the best HS player in the country, of course he'll be in the top 3 in HS to get to the majors. But as a player in general, he's not someone who's going to shoot through a system. He's still young and raw with many tools that need to develop. The type of players that should shoot through a system are the big time college bats and the top college relievers. I believe Brett Wallace falls into the former, being touted as one of if not the best bat in the draft with a great combination of power to all fields and great patience and feel for the strike zone.
Yeah, I understand what you're saying about Tim Beckham. I was just passing along what I read. You do need to wait a little extra for that young, raw, HS talent. The college guys, for the most part, will reach first, because they are more polished and trained. If you're San Diego waiting on Matt Bush, you gotta wait a little longer than usual, though.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
Not exactly the same situation, but it's similar to NBA reporters saying they are hearing that the Bulls will be taking Derrick Rose with the 1st pick: he's just relaying to us what is the most likely action. Beckham and Wallace are the top 2 guys in the Sox eyes and have been for a while. I think that has to change though if a stud top 5 guy falls to us like Posey or Smoak.

Keith Law is likely to be as right as Sam Smith... The bulls will get in a 10 team trade where 50 players move.... (He makes **** up all the time and is never right)

Law is not a Sox insider. If you told me that Gammons said it, and it was about the Red Sox, I might buy it. I think Cowley is a complete dimwit - but he's got Sox connections.

Keith Law is not a White Sox insider. He may or may not end up correct, but it isn't because he has inside knowledge. And the Sox (as most franchises) are so organizationally tight lipped about the draft anyhow...