White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2008, 11:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Baseball America mock draft

Baseball America has the Sox projected to take Gordon Beckham at #8.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/266117.html

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 05-18-2008, 03:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post

After ignoring position players for a while, it's time the Sox go for a bat at #8. Beckham, Alonso, Smoak, etc. are all great choices in that range, so I'd be happy with that pick. Let's hope Crow and Matusz go before #8 so there are more options available.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White Sox View Post
After ignoring position players for a while, it's time the Sox go for a bat at #8. Beckham, Alonso, Smoak, etc. are all great choices in that range, so I'd be happy with that pick. Let's hope Crow and Matusz go before #8 so there are more options available.
Well, If Matusz is there I wouldn't pass him up....
Old 05-18-2008, 10:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Well, If Matusz is there I wouldn't pass him up....
If Poreda doesn't end up as a reliever, that would mean the Sox could end up with four lefties in their rotation (Buehrle, Danks, Poreda, Matusz) ... is that unheard of? I'm sure Buehrle would be gone by then, but 3 LHP is quite a bit too.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:17 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White Sox View Post
If Poreda doesn't end up as a reliever, that would mean the Sox could end up with four lefties in their rotation (Buehrle, Danks, Poreda, Matusz) ... is that unheard of? I'm sure Buehrle would be gone by then, but 3 LHP is quite a bit too.
Danks will stay put. But if Poreda and Matusz (if we draft him, which we won't cuz he won't be around that long) remain highly touted, I'd imagine one of them would be traded for help on the big league club ala Gio/DLS.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
Danks will stay put. But if Poreda and Matusz (if we draft him, which we won't cuz he won't be around that long) remain highly touted, I'd imagine one of them would be traded for help on the big league club ala Gio/DLS.
That would be like the Giants trading Lincecum, or the Royals Hochevar, or something along those lines. Players like that are much more highly thought of than Gio or DLS (although around these parts, you'd be thinking those two were HOF pitchers already). If we did take someone like Matusz, we better yield someone of more talent than Nick Swisher.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:28 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
That would be like the Giants trading Lincecum, or the Royals Hochevar, or something along those lines. Players like that are much more highly thought of than Gio or DLS (although around these parts, you'd be thinking those two were HOF pitchers already). If we did take someone like Matusz, we better yield someone of more talent than Nick Swisher.
Hahaha, agreed. Either way, I think it's a moot point because Matusz will NOT fall to us. We should be taking a hitter with the 8th pick, and one of the stud C's (Posey, Skipworth), Alonso, G. Beckham, or Smoak will be available and should be drafted.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:33 AM
WSI Personality

Where's there's smoke, I think there's fire. I bet the Sox take Wallace.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:13 AM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
Where's there's smoke, I think there's fire. I bet the Sox take Wallace.
If that was true, Konerko would be on the Angels and Colon would be on the White Sox. That phrase, when it comes to the Chicago White Sox, is more like: "where's there's smoke, there's no chance in hell there's a fire."
Old 05-19-2008, 08:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Players like that are much more highly thought of than Gio or DLS
And part of that reason is because foreign players aren't subject to draft ranking. If DLS entered the draft with his talent, he'd have no doubt been gone in the first few picks and had been much more of a household name.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:15 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

I cant understand why the Sox would want to Draft a SS. They have Ramirez and Juan Silverio.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
If that was true, Konerko would be on the Angels and Colon would be on the White Sox. That phrase, when it comes to the Chicago White Sox, is more like: "where's there's smoke, there's no chance in hell there's a fire."
I'm talking about the draft. The Sox are a team that historically have not been that tight-lipped about who they're drafting. The fact that KW was at an ASU game just stokes the fire. We'll see. I'd probably rather have Beckham, but Wallace is a proven commodity and a left-handed hitter so it would not be a terrible pick.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
I'm talking about the draft. The Sox are a team that historically have not been that tight-lipped about who they're drafting. The fact that KW was at an ASU game just stokes the fire. We'll see. I'd probably rather have Beckham, but Wallace is a proven commodity and a left-handed hitter so it would not be a terrible pick.
If Posey and Smoak are gone by the time we draft, along with Matusz and Crow, then I think it comes down to G.Beckham, Wallace, and maybe Y.Alonso.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:21 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm just glad they'll probably take a college position player that can be in the big leagues in a couple years. I'll trust they've done their homework.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

I hope they draft Shooter Hunt for name alone.