White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2008, 12:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Power Outage in AL

An interesting article in SI. It is not just the Sox that are struggling.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...own/index.html
Old 05-14-2008, 06:30 PM
WSI Personality

Interesting article. I don't think people here like to hear this, but the NL isn't the easy target that it has been in years past. I think the fact that guys like Livan Hernandez and Sidney Ponson can be successful in the AL speaks volumes. Obviously, the AL won't remain this weak all year, but even so, the NL has become stronger. I think more of the elite pitchers are in the NL, which isn't unusual, but there are more good hitters there too. At shortstop, most of the good players are in the NL. Pujols is probably the best overall hitter in the majors, and Santana or Webb is the best pitcher. However, I think there are probably more powerhouse teams and crappy teams in the AL. The gap between the good teams and bad teams is larger.

I think the upcoming interleague games will be interesting.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned

To be fair, the AL has incredible pitching.

Yeah, the NL has some incredible aces--Santana, Peavy, Webb, and to a lesser extent Zambrano--but beyond that, rotations seem to run a lot more shallow than in the AL
Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnSoxFan View Post
Interesting article. I don't think people here like to hear this, but the NL isn't the easy target that it has been in years past. I think the fact that guys like Livan Hernandez and Sidney Ponson can be successful in the AL speaks volumes. Obviously, the AL won't remain this weak all year, but even so, the NL has become stronger. I think more of the elite pitchers are in the NL, which isn't unusual, but there are more good hitters there too. At shortstop, most of the good players are in the NL. Pujols is probably the best overall hitter in the majors, and Santana or Webb is the best pitcher. However, I think there are probably more powerhouse teams and crappy teams in the AL. The gap between the good teams and bad teams is larger.

I think the upcoming interleague games will be interesting.
I'm looking more at the fact: Vazquez, Halladay, Burnett, Shields, Garza, Kazmir, Sonanstine, Beckett, Matzusaka, Sabathia, Carmona, Byrd, Livan (8 straight 10+ wins 200+ INN seasons,) Weaver, Bedard, King Felix and Blanton. Then the emergence of Floyd, Danks, Marcum, McGowan, Litsch, Edwin JAckson, Lster, Cliff Lee, Grienke, Santana, Saunders, Eveland and Smith and you realize the American League is extremely pitching heavy.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
I'm looking more at the fact: Vazquez, Halladay, Burnett, Shields, Garza, Kazmir, Sonanstine, Beckett, Matzusaka, Sabathia, Carmona, Byrd, Livan (8 straight 10+ wins 200+ INN seasons,) Weaver, Bedard, King Felix and Blanton. Then the emergence of Floyd, Danks, Marcum, McGowan, Litsch, Edwin JAckson, Lster, Cliff Lee, Grienke, Santana, Saunders, Eveland and Smith and you realize the American League is extremely pitching heavy.
Seems like a chicken vs. egg question lately. Are these young pitchers "emerging" because the hitting league wide has been so poor?
Old 05-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiehaswheels View Post
Seems like a chicken vs. egg question lately. Are these young pitchers "emerging" because the hitting league wide has been so poor?
Thats up for discussion. I personally am siding with the pitching being this good.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Thats up for discussion. I personally am siding with the pitching being this good.
Me too.

NL hitters are feasting on crappy NL pitching.

Great AL pitchers are shutting down great AL hitters.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Me too.

NL hitters are feasting on crappy NL pitching.

Great AL pitchers are shutting down great AL hitters.
The old saying Good pitching always beats good hitting, but bad pitching is a sacrificial lamb.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Steve Phillips on ESPN (former mets GM) was saying he's thinking its the effect of the decline in PED (stigma from the mitchell report: scared straight). HR across the league are down so much that if the trend continues, we could see 1000 less HR hit this year than last. Thats crazy.

When you look at the white sox slide since mid 2006, it makes me worry (whether irrationally or not) that our team might not have been as clean as I have always thought/hoped.

“If Brian Anderson would have played every day last year, he would have hit about .275 and would have hit 25 home runs, I don't think you can disagree with that.” -Kenny Williams, GM of the Chicago White Sox.
IN KENNY WE TRUST
2008 Chicago White Sox Season: "Brian? Hello..."
2009 Chicago White Sox Season: merit means nothing. Bring on WISE!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:35 PM
WSI 2017 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Dankerific View Post
Steve Phillips on ESPN (former mets GM) was saying he's thinking its the effect of the decline in PED (stigma from the mitchell report: scared straight). HR across the league are down so much that if the trend continues, we could see 1000 less HR hit this year than last. Thats crazy.

When you look at the white sox slide since mid 2006, it makes me worry (whether irrationally or not) that our team might not have been as clean as I have always thought/hoped.
I don't normally trust or believe anything Steve Philips says, but he may be right there.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
15: 3-3.
16: 1-0.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Dankerific View Post

Dye was on the DL for about a month, same for Thome. Crede was out for 4 months. Their replacements didn't hit many homers. I'm not sure if PEDs are related to poor batting averages, but there hasn't been a large decrease in home runs for the Sox when you consider injuries to a few of our power sources.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
I'm with you on this one.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:40 AM
WSI Guru

Look at some of the final scores from around the AL tonight:

Indians 2, A's 0
Royals 2, Tigers 0
Yankees 2, Devil Rays 1
Mariners 4, Rangers 3
Sox 6, Angels 1
Orioles 6, Red Sox 3

The highest-scoring game in the league tonight was Toronto's 6-5 victory over the Twinkees. Cleveland starting pitchers are working on a streak of 43 consecutive scoreless innings.

There is definitely some good pitching around the league.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
... The highest-scoring game in the league tonight was Toronto's 6-5 victory over the Twinkees. Cleveland starting pitchers are working on a streak of 43 consecutive scoreless innings.

There is definitely some good pitching around the league.
And amazingly, none of those 43 scoreless innings came at the expense of the White Sox.

The White Sox tonight scored as many runs tonight as any other team in the American League. People are whining about the Sox not being able to score. The Tigers now are 16 consecutive innings without scoring, and they have been on such streaks at least a couple of more times this year. The A's scoreless streak is longer. The White Sox leadoff hitter is only hitting .229 after tonight, but Curtis Granderson, the Tigers leadoff hitter is only hitting .233.

Pitching is the name of the game. But every time I pop into a game thread and every time a White Sox player doesn't come though, I read how they suck.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:04 AM
WSI Prelate

The fact that there is so much good pitching in the AL supports the argument that the Sox should ALSO be able to manufacture runs.

There is nothing wrong with the homer. But good pitchers don't give up a lot of walks and don't give up a lot of homers with men on base. Therefore, it is not wise to rely only on walks and the long ball when you have to face so many good pitchers.

Against good pitchers, you need to be able to scratch out a few runs. That's why some of us want to see more balance to the Sox offense.