White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2008, 08:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Default Could Chris Getz help the Sox?

Is there any chance that Getz could do a serviceable job at 2B, batting ninth, for the Sox?

Put another way, would Getz be an upgrade over Uribe (until Richar is ready to return)?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Banned

Do you mean would he hurt? I would forsee him playing very solid defense but not being a great offensive force.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Is there any chance that Getz could do a serviceable job at 2B, batting ninth, for the Sox?

Put another way, would Getz be an upgrade over Uribe (until Richar is ready to return)?
Is he an upgrade defensively? At best he'd be a slight improvement

Is he an upgrade with the stick? Almost certainly.

I don't know how much sense it makes to bring a guy up to upgrade the 9 spot when none of the other lineup spots ar ehitting
Old 05-06-2008, 09:28 AM
WSI Personality

I've been partial to Chris for sometime now. Of course it helps he went to Michigan, but he's been a solid baseball player at every level so far. Coming into this year he has been an extremely tough strikeout. He's off to a slow start from a BB:K perspective (8:19 in 89 at-bats) but he's had an incredible 39% more walks than strikeouts in his previous three minor league seasons.

To me, he seems like he would be one of those guys that's just a solid, annoying baseball player. I hate this phrase, but I would expect him to be "pirahna-like". Opposing teams overlook him, yet he never strikes out, gets on base, runs well and hits for a solid average. The guy is a number 2 hitter if there ever was one.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 AM
WSI Prelate

Improving the 9-spot isn't the answer to what ails the Sox, but wouldn't an incremental improvement be of some help?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

In 89 AB's at Charlotte, Chris Getz is hitting .292 with 2 HR, 5 RBI and 3 SB. Getz has a .351 OBP and a .404 SLG. Getz plays good defense and may provide a fundamentally sound offensive game. Given the substandard play the Sox have gotten at 2B so far, why not give Getz a chance to play?
Old 05-06-2008, 11:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
In 89 AB's at Charlotte, Chris Getz is hitting .292 with 2 HR, 5 RBI and 3 SB. Getz has a .351 OBP and a .404 SLG. Getz plays good defense and may provide a fundamentally sound offensive game. Given the substandard play the Sox have gotten at 2B so far, why not give Getz a chance to play?
When we have other options, why rush him to the bigs? We've messed up a lot of our prospects that way.

Maybe if we're out of contention early (hope not) he'd get a look, but not now.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:05 AM
WSI Prelate

I don't see how he could be any worse than what we have now.

But I wouldn't suggest rushing him or anyone.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:13 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
But I wouldn't suggest rushing him or anyone.
Would this be considered "rushing" though? He's made a natural progression from Rookie Ball to A to AA and now to AAA. Of course it's only been three seasons, but three very successful seasons at that, which, most importantly, followed three full years of collegiate baseball.

Straight out of high school and three years to the big leagues might be pushing it. But he's in his 6th year of post-high school baseball. He spent time in the ACC, and then at the Big Ten's best (currently) baseball program.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhanson View Post
Would this be considered "rushing" though? He's made a natural progression from Rookie Ball to A to AA and now to AAA. Of course it's only been three seasons, but three very successful seasons at that, which, most importantly, followed three full years of collegiate baseball.

Straight out of high school and three years to the big leagues might be pushing it. But he's in his 6th year of post-high school baseball. He spent time in the ACC, and then at the Big Ten's best (currently) baseball program.
If the Sox see him as a future 2B starter, this full season in AAA will be invaluable in his development. Playing part time and riding the pine in Chicago would detract from that.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 AM
btrain929

I wished Bourgeois could play 2B (he did earlier in his career) and leadoff. That would help our roster tremendously.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
If the Sox see him as a future 2B starter, this full season in AAA will be invaluable in his development. Playing part time and riding the pine in Chicago would detract from that.
The only reason to bring him up would be to put him at 2B and leave him there.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Improving the 9-spot isn't the answer to what ails the Sox, but wouldn't an incremental improvement be of some help?
Sure, but when we're looking for answers how to jump start this team, Uribe would be one of the last places I'd look
Old 05-06-2008, 12:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by fquaye149 View Post
I don't know how much sense it makes to bring a guy up to upgrade the 9 spot when none of the other lineup spots ar ehitting
So the Sox shouldn't try to upgrade at all until the other people start hitting? How does that logic make any sense? Getz may not be much of an upgrade, but if he is, it's going to help even if the other guys aren't hitting.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:42 PM
WSI Regular

Bring him up and tell him his is the everyday second baseman for the entire '08 season.

This will hopefully put him at ease.

If he doesn't flourish this season and we don't bring in Hudson or another FA, let him battle it out with Richar for the '09 gig in ST.