White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2014, 09:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default 2015 draft

How do we know if we get 7-8-9? How are the tiebreakers determined?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:24 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
Not 100% sure what the mechanism for breaking ties is, but we get pick #8

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...lb-draft-order

Interestingly enough, one of the lower Top 10 prospects for this upcoming draft is a Florida high school kid, CF Daz Cameron, whose father is... you guessed it, Mike. Considering Mike's ill feelings towards the Sox, an early storyline to pay attention to.

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
0-1

LAST GAME: April 10 - Twins 6, Sox 0
NEXT GAME: April 20 vs. Cleveland
Old 09-29-2014, 09:25 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Tie breakers determined by 2013 record which we won but get eighth pick as Astros get extra pick for not signing Aiken this year.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Not 100% sure what the mechanism for breaking ties is, but we get pick #8

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...lb-draft-order

Interestingly enough, one of the lower Top 10 prospects for this upcoming draft is a Florida high school kid, CF Daz Cameron, whose father is... you guessed it, Mike. Considering Mike's ill feelings towards the Sox, an early storyline to pay attention to.
I'd guess Daz doesn't last till #8. But I'd love it if he did!
Old 09-29-2014, 12:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Brady Aiken is the name I really am watching. Teams might get gun shy based on his medicals, but if he comes out healthy and dominant again, he likely does not make it to 8.

At 8, if we somehow landed Aiken, could you imagine Sale-Rodon-Aiken-Quintana?
Old 09-29-2014, 02:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Daz has been at the top of the 2015 rankings for as long as they have existed. He is the Nick Gordon of this draft and will probably be a top 5 pick.

I think scouts have cooled on him since he didn't dominate the Summer Showcases, but he has the tools to be taken in the Top 5.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Brady Aiken is the name I really am watching. Teams might get gun shy based on his medicals, but if he comes out healthy and dominant again, he likely does not make it to 8.

No way, too many red flags. Wait 3-4 years to get him through the minors just to see if he has a bum arm? Plus his agent is a real scuzz, trying to become the new Boras. He's also pitching in Juco, so those numbers won't be especially reliable.

Besides some dumb team will probably take him before the Sox pick.

Hopefully we take one of the shortstops (Rodgers or Bregman) or whatever college pitcher has a solid year to move into the top 10.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:13 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Hopefully we take one of the shortstops (Rodgers or Bregman) or whatever college pitcher has a solid year to move into the top 10.
It's a top 10 pick.

BPA
Old 02-11-2015, 03:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It's official -- the Sox have the 8th pick in the 1st round.

Quote:

If Brady Aiken fell to 8th, the Sox would have to take him, wouldn't they? At the top of the amateur draft, teams draft for talent and understand that deals can be made later to reshape a roster, if necessary.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
It's official -- the Sox have the 8th pick in the 1st round.

If Brady Aiken fell to 8th, the Sox would have to take him, wouldn't they? At the top of the amateur draft, teams draft for talent and understand that deals can be made later to reshape a roster, if necessary.
Yah, there is no risk with the guy outside of the typical prospect risk. His medicals have come back fine, he is totally healthy, he will end up going number 1 overall. There is 0% chance we can get him at 8.

Interesting story from a friend of mine, Chris Crawford (if you have ESPN insider).

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-...2015-mlb-draft

Chris does most of the draft writing for ESPN now, really knows his stuff.

He basically says offensively, this draft deeper, but also lacks the high end talent previous drafts have produced. I almost wonder if we are best off taking Kyler Murray at 8, with the chance we sign him and he explodes, or the chance he picks football and we get pick 9 in a more top heavy draft next year.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
His stock dropped a little last season as he did not mature and improve on some things the scouts were counting on. He is now predicted to go in the later side of the top 10 picks. I think the Sox are primed to be on the clock to pick him but we will see!

I hope they do!
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 02-12-2015, 08:32 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102605 View Post
His stock dropped a little last season as he did not mature and improve on some things the scouts were counting on. He is now predicted to go in the later side of the top 10 picks. I think the Sox are primed to be on the clock to pick him but we will see!

I hope they do!
No thanks. I'm done with the toolsy, athletic picks from the Sox. Would love a plus college bat (ie the Schwarber pick) or a top end pitcher with a clean history.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
No thanks. I'm done with the toolsy, athletic picks from the Sox. Would love a plus college bat (ie the Schwarber pick) or a top end pitcher with a clean history.
The guy I am VERY interested to see if he falls is Dansby Swanson. He is going to go somewhere between 4-9, assuming no injury/drop off. I think he is the next Dustin Pedroia, and a middle IF that could include some combo of him, Anderson, Micah Johnson could be VERY good.

He also is far enough a long that he could basically step right in when we let Ramirez go.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:41 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
The guy I am VERY interested to see if he falls is Dansby Swanson. He is going to go somewhere between 4-9, assuming no injury/drop off. I think he is the next Dustin Pedroia, and a middle IF that could include some combo of him, Anderson, Micah Johnson could be VERY good.

He also is far enough a long that he could basically step right in when we let Ramirez go.
He is an interesting possibility. I saw that he could go number 1 if he plays a good short this season and continues to impress at the plate. Might be a little hopeful him falling to 8, but if he does, it might because there are questions about his SS ability. I do agree that it would be good to have some insurance at the SS position behind Anderson, because he is far from a guarantee to stay there defensively.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
He is an interesting possibility. I saw that he could go number 1 if he plays a good short this season and continues to impress at the plate. Might be a little hopeful him falling to 8, but if he does, it might because there are questions about his SS ability. I do agree that it would be good to have some insurance at the SS position behind Anderson, because he is far from a guarantee to stay there defensively.
Truth, and mlb especially, the position doesn't really matter since so few guys work out. Look at the Cubs and all their SS/3b. You can plug guys in elsewhere.