White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2008, 12:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Do Hawk and Steve Stone really not like each other?

We all know that Steve Stone has joined the Sox broadcasting crew as Farmio's partner on 670.

We all also probably know about the many rumors that say Stoney will be replacing DJ in the booth next season.

So, assumming that that happens, how will that work out???

Over the years, it has seemed that Hawk and Stone have not exactly been that fond of each other.

I remember a specific incident in 2003 when some station did a piece on what it would be like if the Sox and scrubs met in the World Series (because they were both in first place at the time).

They interviewed Hawk first and he said, "I would love for the Sox and cubs to meet in the World Series. If only for the fact that we would kick their butts!"

The reporter then asked Stone about that particular comment and Steve replied with, "Ken Harrelson has been sticking his foot in his mouth ever since he got a forumn to do so. When it comes to baseball, he has no idea what he is talking about".

I have also heard other stories over the years that they really don't seem to be very fond of one another. So, if Stone does replace DJ in the booth (which I hope DOES NOT happen by the way) how will that work out?? Will they bury the hatchet and move on? Or are we going to be stuck with 162 games of constant insulting of one another back and forth and back and forth???

Thoughts???
Old 04-29-2008, 12:12 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfanspcu11 View Post
We all know that Steve Stone has joined the Sox broadcasting crew as Farmio's partner on 670.

We all also probably know about the many rumors that say Stoney will be replacing DJ in the booth next season.

So, assumming that that happens, how will that work out???

Over the years, it has seemed that Hawk and Stone have not exactly been that fond of each other.

I remember a specific incident in 2003 when some station did a piece on what it would be like if the Sox and scrubs met in the World Series (because they were both in first place at the time).

They interviewed Hawk first and he said, "I would love for the Sox and cubs to meet in the World Series. If only for the fact that we would kick their butts!"

The reporter then asked Stone about that particular comment and Steve replied with, "Ken Harrelson has been sticking his foot in his mouth ever since he got a forumn to do so. When it comes to baseball, he has no idea what he is talking about".

I have also heard other stories over the years that they really don't seem to be very fond of one another. So, if Stone does replace DJ in the booth (which I hope DOES NOT happen by the way) how will that work out?? Will they bury the hatchet and move on? Or are we going to be stuck with 162 games of constant insulting of one another back and forth and back and forth???

Thoughts???
I had never heard this story you just related before. But I can't imagine there is that much animosity between them, otherwise there is no way Hawk would have let Stoney in the booth with him last August.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:59 AM
WSI Guru

I have heard from two sources that they do not care for each other. That's all I know about it.

Lip
Old 04-29-2008, 11:00 AM
WSI High Priest

I have to admit that I find that Stoney makes the radio call much more listenable ..even with Farmio still in the booth. I hope the Sox keep Stoney around in either capacity for awhile. As a franchise ,they are announcer talent challenged as it is and so they should not lose Stoney. As far as working with Hawk...if they do not get along..it will not happen, hopefully. The last thing we need is a sulking Hawk in the booth. That happens enough when the sox play bad or lose.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:06 AM
WSI Personality

I would have to believe Lip because I know him to be a credible person, however when The Stone Pony joined Hawk last year for a few games they seemed to mesh just fine.

It could have been showmanship or the fact that it was just a few games though.

Forget quotations, tell me what you know.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Banned

I've heard Hawk is the reason Stone is not in the TV booth now

I have never heard that Stone quote though, are you sure about that, I would think it'd make bigger news
Old 04-29-2008, 11:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Stone won't replace DJ because DJ kisses Hawk's ass, which means that he'll be here for a long time.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Stone won't replace DJ because DJ kisses Hawk's ass, which means that he'll be here for a long time.

"Oh yeah. That's right partner."

/constant slurping of Hawk
Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Hawk's ego is too big for Stone to be in the booth. You know, because Stone is an actual broadcaster that talks about the game. Hawk and Stone did work well together last year, but I don't doubt what Lip said one bit. The day Harrleson steps down from the broadcast booth will be a great day for Sox fans.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
The day Harrleson steps down from the broadcast booth will be a great day for Sox fans.
You don't speak for all Sox fans.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 04-29-2008, 12:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Speaks for me.
"Two innings later, Paul Konerko will win it for us with a game-winning monster blast that's got every guy on this 7-12 team convinced we're ready to turn our season around. We lose seven of our next eight." - David Wells

andrew reilly | pics
Old 04-29-2008, 12:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Ok how about half of them or so because this board seems to be 50/50 on the issue. It sure as hell would be a great day for me, and I used to be a big fan of his in the early 90s.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:30 PM
WSI Regular

DJ will replace Hawk. Stone will replace DJ. They will be my ideal situation. I love Hawk. When he is ready to retire, DJ will be a fine play by play guy. He's really good on Fox. He has gotten much better as the years have passed. Stone has already established himself as an outstanding color guy. He will make DJ look even better. Now, DJ still needs a good home run call. UHH-OOHH was starting to grow on me. What happened to that?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:41 PM
WSI Regular

This is a bit off topic but....Did anyone hear what Stone said about the weather and it getting "lighter" at the stadium? It was pretty funny.. Farmer had to cut to a station ID break he was laughing so hard.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103 screwball View Post
When he is ready to retire, DJ will be a fine play by play guy. He's really good on Fox. He has gotten much better as the years have passed.
Are you on crack? DJ is tolerable, barely, during national tv broadcasts, but when he does pbp in the middle of the game he is like Fingernails on a blackboard.