White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 10:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Danks also struck out once, and still has an AB to go.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Danks 2-5

Viciedo 4-5
Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
A minor league system isn't worth **** until it produces legitimate major league ballplayers either by way of trade or by simple promotion. At this point, our system is certainly better than it was this time last season, but there is still a serious dearth of quality pitching. Sure, shrewd moves have been made to improve the system, but that doesn't mean the Sox can continue to make the same mistakes they've always made.

And for the record, I'm pleased with Danks' promotion. As a mature college player, he needs the challenge, and warrants it. I only hope they leave him in Birmingham for at least the rest of this season.
You have a valid point. The same Sox scouts that failed miserably in the first 5-6 years of Kenny's tenure as GM are primarily the same ones evaluating talent now.

I'm very happy with the overall talent increase the system has had the last few years, but as you said, who's to say how many are really going to be solid Major Leaguers... Let's hope it's a lot.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:04 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
As a leadoff hitter, yes. When do you stop ignoring the K's? If it's okay to ignore them now, why won't it be hard to ignore them next year? And the following year? Soon you have a strikeout machine at the major league level.
I am concerned a bit about Jordan's K rate as well, but he has been striking out a lot less recently. Besides, leadoff hitters can strike out as long as they also walk. Look at Sox-killer Grady Sizemore. He's K'd at least 130 times in every full season of his career. And he's okay.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ... View Post
You two know better than those who actually WORK for the organization?

It absolutely baffles me that people think they know how to develop baseball players batter than those paid to do so within the organization. The decision was likely made by a culmination of those who work closely with these players. I think it is safe to trust their judgment.

OH GOD DON'T **** EM ALL UP!!! GOD NO!
I didn't say I knew better. I said I didn't like it.

Let me get this straight. By your logic, any opinion differing from those coming from the organization (putting aside that there are certainly disagreements within the system going on every day) are not worth expressing? Maybe WSI should close down the board except for two threads: one for stats and scores, the other to second every decsion made by White Sox employees. That would be a blast, wouldn't it? At least you wouldn't have to waste your time listening to the concerns and opinions of fans who, although amatuers, have been around long enough to know the farm system hasn't developed a decent hitter since...Aaron Rowand? Carlos Lee? (Two players who not coincidentally played roughly a year in each classification before making it to the majors.)
Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
I am concerned a bit about Jordan's K rate as well, but he has been striking out a lot less recently. Besides, leadoff hitters can strike out as long as they also walk. Look at Sox-killer Grady Sizemore. He's K'd at least 130 times in every full season of his career. And he's okay.
Well, I don't think Sizemore should be leading off, but that's another discussion for another time. You would preferably like your leadoff hitter to not only get on base, but be a tough out and put the ball in play.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Burns View Post
I didn't say I knew better. I said I didn't like it.

Let me get this straight. By your logic, any opinion differing from those coming from the organization (putting aside that there are certainly disagreements within the system going on every day) are not worth expressing? Maybe WSI should close down the board except for two threads: one for stats and scores, the other to second every decsion made by White Sox employees. That would be a blast, wouldn't it? At least you wouldn't have to waste your time listening to the concerns and opinions of fans who, although amatuers, have been around long enough to know the farm system hasn't developed a decent hitter since...Aaron Rowand? Carlos Lee? (Two players who not coincidentally played roughly a year in each classification before making it to the majors.)
May be premature, but...

Heyyo!

You said decent, not great.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillen4life13 View Post
May be premature, but...

Heyyo!

You said decent, not great.
I thought about each of them and definitely should have included Crede in my statement. But each of these guys just proves the point...Crede spent at least a year in each classification, and Getz skipped High A--but then had to repeat AA. Fields was rushed--A- when he signed, AA in his first full year--and I think you could make the argument that he would have benefited from a full year in A+.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Danks 3 - 4 with a double, no K's.

Viciedo 1 - 3 with an RBI.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Sure, shrewd moves have been made to improve the system, but that doesn't mean the Sox can continue to make the same mistakes they've always made.
The Sox fired Duane Schaefer two seasons ago, changed their philosophy of drafting, made some shrewd picks, trades and signings for minor league talent. No basis exists for believing that the Sox will suddenly shift gears and go back to the mistakes of the Schaefer era (i.e., making so-called "safe" draft choices like Broadway and McCullough and depriving yourself of high risk/high reward players with a higher ceiling), particularly when those mistakes got Schaefer fired in the first place.

With their 2-1 win over Carolina today, this Barons squad (with Jordan Danks, Gordon Beckham, Dayan Viciedo, Tyler Flowers, Brandon Allen, Aaron Poreda, John Shelby, Jr., John Ely and C.J. Retherford) is now 22-9. They are an excellent team.

Since 2007, the Sox minor league operations have improved by leaps and bounds. No reason to think that this year's draft (with the extra high draft picks from Orlando Cabrera signing with the A's) will not add to the depth of talent in the minors.

I agree that the Sox need additional pitching depth in the minors. But, as I have said before, the next great Sox team will come when the core of this year's Birmingham team gets to Chicago.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
The Sox fired Duane Schaefer two seasons ago, changed their philosophy of drafting, made some shrewd picks, trades and signings for minor league talent. No basis exists for believing that the Sox will suddenly shift gears and go back to the mistakes of the Schaefer era (i.e., making so-called "safe" draft choices like Broadway and McCullough and depriving yourself of high risk/high reward players with a higher ceiling), particularly when those mistakes got Schaefer fired in the first place.

With their 2-1 win over Carolina today, this Barons squad (with Jordan Danks, Gordon Beckham, Dayan Viciedo, Tyler Flowers, Brandon Allen, Aaron Poreda, John Shelby, Jr., John Ely and C.J. Retherford) is now 22-9. They are an excellent team.

Since 2007, the Sox minor league operations have improved by leaps and bounds. No reason to think that this year's draft (with the extra high draft picks from Orlando Cabrera signing with the A's) will not add to the depth of talent in the minors.

I agree that the Sox need additional pitching depth in the minors. But, as I have said before, the next great Sox team will come when the core of this year's Birmingham team gets to Chicago.
I think this is a good post, but I thought the original poster exaggerated the level of improvement. Are we better? Yes. Top half of MLB? Not yet.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Banned

To me, it isn't about which types of guys the team picks ALONE that determines the efficacy of the system. [i.e. picking "safe" picks vs. the "high ceiling" guys.]

Its also about properly tutoring the youngsters in the game. Its about NOT promoting a player, just because "he's rakin'," while overlooking gaping holes in his game. Its about NOT rushing a kid through the system until he's learned everything he needs to learn to move up. Its about EARNING promotions, and the youngster improving his skills, not just some kids being pushed up out of desperation.

But to the point of Jordan Danks, I certainly hope he can cut down the Ks, and become a proper outfielder. In this system, who else besides him ranks as even a marginal MLB prospect in the OF?
Old 05-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think this is a good post, but I thought the original poster exaggerated the level of improvement. Are we better? Yes. Top half of MLB? Not yet.

I do not think you can go from the bottom half to the top half in 2 drafts. I would say give Buddy Bell, atleast 4-5 drafts to see a big improvement.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashMan View Post
I do not think you can go from the bottom half to the top half in 2 drafts. I would say give Buddy Bell, atleast 4-5 drafts to see a big improvement.
I agree.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
But to the point of Jordan Danks, I certainly hope he can cut down the Ks, and become a proper outfielder. In this system, who else besides him ranks as even a marginal MLB prospect in the OF?
He's already a proper outfielder, and may be the best defensive CF in the organization.

Shelby is marginal.