White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2018, 04:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Like I said MLB is turning into the NBA...four teams with a real shot, two or three pretty good clubs and the rest are all flotsam and jetsam.
This issue needs to be resolved with a salary cap or else you might as well dump most of the teams and have a league with just the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cardinals, Giants and Cubs and maybe a few others.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 02-20-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Like I said MLB is turning into the NBA...four teams with a real shot, two or three pretty good clubs and the rest are all flotsam and jetsam.
Maybe, maybe not. Baseball is funny.

I will say that the money thrown around is ridiculous.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 02-21-2018, 08:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The Rays designated Corey Dickerson for assignment.
I had originally thought that the Marlins had the worst offseason by far, the Rays have made it pretty close with two bad moves.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 02-21-2018, 11:28 AM
WSI High Priest

The Rays traded Steven Sousa to Arizona last night. So far this off season they have traded Longoria, Souza and Ordorizzi. They have DFA Dickerson, and let Cobb and Morrison go to free agency. I expect more moves which will turn the team into a AAA team. The remaining players like Archer and Kiermaier are really upset, the fans can't be happy and the Rays might not even draw a million. I'm sort of a fan of the Rays and watch just about all their games and pull for them except when they play the White Sox. If I was a die hard Rays fan I would be pulling my hair out with these moves. I'm thinking that ownership has come to the conclusion that a new stadium will never happen and they will probably sell the team to a group from another city.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:41 PM
WSI Regular

Default Rays

Could current owners just move team instead of selling? Nashville sounds like a nice landing spot. Indians or Tigers go back to the AL East, Rays are switched to the AL Central.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshanahanjr View Post
Could current owners just move team instead of selling? Nashville sounds like a nice landing spot. Indians or Tigers go back to the AL East, Rays are switched to the AL Central.
Nashville is a very small market, only 1.8 million in the metro area which I'm pretty sure would be the smallest in MLB. They can support Pro Hockey where 18,000 is a fine crowd and Pro Football where there are only 8 home games in 5 months but Baseball is a different animal.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 02-21-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Nashville is a very small market, only 1.8 million in the metro area which I'm pretty sure would be the smallest in MLB. They can support Pro Hockey where 18,000 is a fine crowd and Pro Football where there are only 8 home games in 5 months but Baseball is different animal.
You are absolutely correct! If they do move I think Las Vegas is a natural, now that hockey is already there with football soon to follow.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:52 PM
WSI Regular

Default Las Vegas

Vegas could be future home of the A's if Oakland can't help produce a new stadium.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:37 PM
WSI Regular

Astros give Altuve a $151 million extension for 5 years https://twitter.com/BNightengale/sta...55071555657728

Great contract by Houston. They have him locked up through his prime now.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Astros give Altuve a $151 million extension for 5 years https://twitter.com/BNightengale/sta...55071555657728

Great contract by Houston. They have him locked up through his prime now.
I always wondered how much that man was going to get paid. Best pure hitter in baseball? Hell yes that's a fair contract--heck, might even turn out to be a bargain.

2014 PtC Score: 1