GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2018, 04:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
I'd like a retractable roof if we ever got a new ballpark. The one in Seattle is nice. You really feel like you're outside when the roof is open. It's better than the one in Milwaukee.
I agree about Seattle vs. other retractable roof ballparks that I've been to. That may be due to Safeco being designed to keep out the rain and not for total enclosure climate control. It has much more of an outdoor feel than, say, Chase Field in Phoenix, where you feel like you're inside a building even when the roof is open.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
The real problem is that new park had no one with true "love for the White Sox" involved in the design and funding of it. The design came from Reinhorn- who were strictly carpetbaggers at that stage, and the money came grudgingly from an Illinois legislature who had to be strong armed by Thompson.

It was a shotgun marriage- based on money and politics- not any true affection for the charter American League franchise with a rich, interesting history.
Excellent point. All of the nuances are missing, especially, for me, seeing the trees just beyond the arched windows on the left field side, the sunlight coming through the arched windows along the left field line and seeing the silhouettes of fans walking on that concourse. Fans hanging out on the catwalks by the scoreboard. Things like the big waffle light towers, the loudness from a packed house, even a half packed house, walking in from behind the home plate side to see the green of the field start to sprawl out right in front of you.

All of that could have and should have been included in New Comiskey. Maybe next time around....