White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2019, 01:09 PM
WSI Personality

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/12/14...ball-entirely/

I like Manfred less and less with each passing day. What a big baby.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:00 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/12/14...ball-entirely/

I like Manfred less and less with each passing day. What a big baby.
Does he really believe the public would get behind this? There are significantly more minor-league cities than MLB cities. He either doesn't realize or doesn't care that this would affect so many players, coaches, employees and fans around the country. I hope this goes to the court, maybe even the Supreme Court, if he somehow gives himself what he wants. Changing the way the game is played is one thing, but this is just heartless and monumentally stupid.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Does he really believe the public would get behind this? There are significantly more minor-league cities than MLB cities. He either doesn't realize or doesn't care that this would affect so many players, coaches, employees and fans around the country. I hope this goes to the court, maybe even the Supreme Court, if he somehow gives himself what he wants. Changing the way the game is played is one thing, but this is just heartless and monumentally stupid.
The public won't care. He's just threatening to switch minor league franchisees. MiLB has no power in this negotiation and if MLB pulls its players out of the teams that they currently use those teams are ****ed. Plenty of independents would welcome the chance to suck up some of that MLB cash and have big name prospects pass through their stadiums.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-14-2019, 03:29 PM
WSI Personality

There are politicians on both sides of the aisle coming after him for this nonsense and it's only a matter of time before more MLB stars speak up. Everybody but him and his poor poor billionaire bosses (owners) and a small vocal minority will be the ones supporting Manfred.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
There are politicians on both sides of the aisle coming after him for this nonsense and it's only a matter of time before more MLB stars speak up. Everybody but him and his poor poor billionaire bosses (owners) and a small vocal minority will be the ones supporting Manfred.
Agree! This is nonsense!
Old 12-15-2019, 04:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Instead of contracting the talent pool by fiat (jealous of the higher MiLB attendance while yours drops?) how about contraction in MLB?

What a cheap and pathetic use of mathematics. Go ahead and do it Manfred: strangle the game at the grass roots level.

Call his bluff.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 12-15-2019 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:42 AM
WSI Prelate

I hate the idea that I’m supporting ownership/the commissioner, but the idea to restructure the minor leagues is not terrible, and it’s not the end of minor league baseball.

Some teams with substandard facilities would lose their affiliation agreements, to be sure. But there are plenty of unaffiliated teams and leagues already, so losing an affiliation agreement is not a death sentence for a particular league or team.

My understanding is that this proposal was part of a larger agreement that would raise salaries for minor league players playing within MLB teams’ systems. This is a good, necessary thing. I also understand the proposal also called for a shorter amateur draft (25 rounds?) and perhaps making it an international draft and conduct it in August, doing away with most existing short-season A ball/Rookie leagues, and having draftees report to the organizations’ training complexes, perhaps to play in Fall rookie league games. And then after spring training, high school draftees would generally start in Low-A; most college draftees typically in High-A, and the top draftees might start in AA. All of these things make sense to me.

I do think, though, that the minor league teams that stand to lose their affiliation agreements, and would thus be invited to be part of the “Dream League,” ought to be compensated more than Manfred’s proposal currently offers. In other words, MLB owners ought to cough up a lot more money. To me, the question becomes whether or not Congress has to threaten to revoke the antitrust exemption.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Yeah I think what many of us are trying to say is that Manfred could be handling this with more of an eye towards optics and he is unnecessarily putting MLB's antitrust exemption at risk.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 12-16-2019, 11:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I hate the idea that I’m supporting ownership/the commissioner, but the idea to restructure the minor leagues is not terrible, and it’s not the end of minor league baseball.
I agree. And it's kind of an obsolete system. Times change.