White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2018, 06:48 PM
WSI Guru

Default Manny watch

With the rumor mill around Machado picking up a bit with the Orioles in town, there's bound to be a lot of discussion about his future. Does he join his childhood friend, Albert Almora, on the North Side? Do the Sox pull out all the stops in the offseason? The possibilities are endless.

Last edited by thomas35forever; 05-22-2018 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Machado and Almora are not cousins, but like cousins.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
With the rumor mill around Machado picking up a bit with the Orioles in town, there's bound to be a lot of discussion about his future. Does he join his cousin, Albert Almora, on the North Side? Do the Sox pull out all the stops in the offseason? The possibilities are endless.
They will trade him for about 30 cents on the dollar, I think. It's gonna be a tough pill for Oriole fans to swallow.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
With the rumor mill around Machado picking up a bit with the Orioles in town, there's bound to be a lot of discussion about his future. Does he join his cousin, Albert Almora, on the North Side? Do the Sox pull out all the stops in the offseason? The possibilities are endless.
Unfortunately I don’t think we pick him up because I think there will be at least a few teams outbidding us. With the Northside, I could see them broker a trade, but his long term prospects may hedge more on what Bryce Harper gets offered by the Nats.

I think Pedro Strop could be the biggest amount coming off the books for them, if they turned down his club option. Thus, their payroll is going to skyrocket as contracts get into higher values and players start getting outside arbitration. Will they be able to afford more than one high-priced FA?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:02 PM
WSI Prelate

We don't have the history of paying players like Machado, and we need to move on from this delusion. It's not going to happen.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:07 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
We don't have the history of paying players like Machado, and we need to move on from this delusion. It's not going to happen.
I agree with you. But even if we did have history, it would take a massive overpay to get him.

Why else would he sign with a team with very little established talent coming off a 95-100 loss season?
Old 05-22-2018, 02:11 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
I agree with you. But even if we did have history, it would take a massive overpay to get him.

Why else would he sign with a team with very little established talent coming off a 95-100 loss season?

He won't, and frankly, I don't buy that he's going to be a Cub either. Not that he couldn't help the Cubs -- he could help any team -- but I think they have a bigger need at corner outfield and in the starting rotation.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

I don't think the Cubs have the prospects to trade for him. In 2016, 2017 they did but now their farm system is pretty depleted.

Go Sox!!!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post

Other than money, there is really no reason for Machado to consider us.

And since it's money, I don't see JR ever writing a check for $300 million on a player. Can we first get him to write one for $100 million?
Old 05-22-2018, 10:23 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Other than money, there is really no reason for Machado to consider us.

And since it's money, I don't see JR ever writing a check for $300 million on a player. Can we first get him to write one for $100 million?
After that monster home run last night, he might be thinking it would be fun to play 81 games a season here.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
After that monster home run last night, he might be thinking it would be fun to play 81 games a season here.
Only if he gets to face the Sox pitching staff.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I don't think the Cubs have the prospects to trade for him. In 2016, 2017 they did but now their farm system is pretty depleted.
They don't. Will have to give up Schwarber, Almora, and Russell for someone like him

The only thing that catches me is that our payroll is essentially nothing in the next couple of years, and with Eloy/ kopech coming up, there is potential to make an enticing " you know we are seconds away from domination and need you to complete our diabolical plan" pitch

That is, of course, only going to work if the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox arent in on it.

So ye. Nope
Old 05-22-2018, 11:41 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
We aren't likely to get him, but that's more because a lot of teams want him. The Sox don't have a history of having this much money available either, plus Hahn has said they will be in on the big free agents. He's been good on his word so far.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres
We aren't likely to get him, but that's more because a lot of teams want him. The Sox don't have a history of having this much money available either, plus Hahn has said they will be in on the big free agents. He's been good on his word so far.
I guess that depends on the definition of "in."

The team could make an offer of 6 years, $180 million to Machado, knowing full well that he will sign for far more than that, and consider themselves "in" on the bidding.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I guess that depends on the definition of "in."

The team could make an offer of 6 years, $180 million to Machado, knowing full well that he will sign for far more than that, and consider themselves "in" on the bidding.
So he can tell the fanbase at Soxfest that he tried? He's not that short term of a thinker. I also don't think he would waste his time doing that with plenty of other FA targets out there. Sox might not get Harper or Machado, but I would be surprised if we don't get a Keuchel, Donaldson, etc type FA next offseason with the boatload of money available to spend and the numerous holes in the team for '19-20.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:30 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm not going to count the Sox out on any big name free agents. I think Hahn has earned the benefit of the doubt that he means what he says, and I do think that "hey, be the highly paid veteran on an up and coming team with many good prospects in the wings" is a message that can appeal to some free agents.

That said, arguably the two biggest free agent signings in Chicago baseball history, in terms of bringing championships, were Jermaine Dye and Ben Zobrist. Not exactly Machado-level guys who signed for big bucks.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides