White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Abreu accepting his QO with the Sox
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Abreu accepting the QO is the best possible outcome.

It rewards him for his great performance and keeps him in the 2020 lineup.

At the same time, 1B is NOT clogged for the long term, allowing flexibility if Vaughn and/or Sheets appear ready for the majors to start 2021. Being able to get young, cheap power at 1B (and perhaps also DH, with Collins potentially in the mix), allows the Sox to allocate resources elsewhere.

Now, go sign Grandal.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM
WSI Personality

I really like the fact Abreu is coming back. Everyone on the team loves him and hopefully he gets to finally experience some actual winning.
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
i really like the fact abreu is coming back. Everyone on the team loves him and hopefully he gets to finally experience some actual winning.
+1

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogosox16 View Post
Abreu accepting his QO with the Sox

It's the perfect number of years.

Ultimately, Vaughn's progress this year will determine whether he'll get another deal.
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Yeah I can't take an argument seriously when it casually dismisses FIP in lieu of the eye test. FIP isn't a predictor, it's a statistic that shows how someone is actually pitching. Don't confuse it with someone predicting his future FIP.

MadBum's ERA caught up to his FIP (literally both were 3.90 last year) because FIP is a reality check about how someone is actually doing. A plausible reason he out produced it before this year was sample size. Because...despite your assertion that he's good for 200 innings every year, the last two years prior to this he only managed 111 and 129 innings.

It's also relevant to note that the reason so many stats guys didn't believe in Reynaldo Lopez is because his FIP was not in line with his 2018 ERA. This year, he came back to reality. He didn't regress.
You literally said that FanGraphs is predicting his FIP for next year... and I know it is not a predictor.

And yeah, if you've seen someone pitch a game, a season, a career; you have a way better idea of how good they were/are/will be. You are capable of seeing regression too with your own eyes you know. Gives you so much more insight than one number does. I also "dismissed" it in lieu of K rate and WHIP in a addition to eye test. I don't use 1 stat to evaluate players ever like some do for WAR or FIP.

My point is that someone with the track record of Bumgarner gets the benefit of the doubt of having possibly a down year (sometimes just a down month can skew stats). Look at Lester, he had back to back down years in terms of FIP with the Red Sox (3.83 and 4.11), then righted the ship and got back to pitching very well. Bumgarner is certainly capable of that, this happens throughout players careers. We aren't talking about someone like Lopez, as that is a bad comparison. He has no track record, is very young, not close to the caliber of Bumgarner.

Lots of good to great pitchers have off year(s) in terms of FIP and pitch very well after them. It is not a definitive indicator of someone about to completely fall off the cliff as you seem to know as fact.

I'm aware that he didn't pitch 200 innings in those years, but those were because of non soft tissue injuries that he has clearly fully recovered from.