White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2018, 06:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
The 40-man roster now sits at 36 after the departure of Kevan Smith and outrighting Farquhar, LaMarre, and Schahill.

Since the Margulus article was written (see first post of this thread), Frare, Burr, and Ruiz have been added to the 40-man. So was Kopech, but of course his 40-man spot is now freed up because he's on the 60-day DL.
Actually, Kopech does count against the 40 man roster in the off season.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Covey absolutely should be protected...yes he had a dip but he also pitched pretty well at the end of the season. He's an improved player in an org not exactly replete with major league pitching.
I think they 2nd tier pitching market is better than last year's, if they are interested in one. Please, no Shields. That's just pointless.
I hate to keep harping on this, but it keeps repeating itself: They Sox had market leverage (ability to take on overpaid players that they could use to flip in July) and used it wisely when moving Peter for Soria and Avilan....that was a nifty move and gave them 1 and possibly 2 real trade assets for July.
Then July comes and they move the 1 with trade value for...... a struggling AA rule-5 eligible pitcher. Back to where they started.
Not that there is a real roster crunch or that Madeiros really needs to be protected...just loss of an opportunity.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The Sox had market leverage (ability to take on overpaid players that they could use to flip in July) and used it wisely when moving Peter for Soria and Avilan....that was a nifty move and gave them 1 and possibly 2 real trade assets for July.
Then July comes and they move the 1 with trade value for...... a struggling AA rule-5 eligible pitcher. Back to where they started.
Not that there is a real roster crunch or that Madeiros really needs to be protected...just loss of an opportunity.
I would have liked for the Sox to package their assets in July for a better return, but it takes a willing partner.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
I would have liked for the Sox to package their assets in July for a better return, but it takes a willing partner.
Even in that case, you probably donít get anyone better than Medeiros. You just get more pieces in addition to Medeiros.

I donít know what other assets the White Sox really had. Jose Abreu slumping at the worst possible time was a major story line of the 2018 season. Avi Garcia was hurt and bad. The relievers who did get moved were not moved until August and cleared waivers despite their paltry salaries.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Even in that case, you probably donít get anyone better than Medeiros. You just get more pieces in addition to Medeiros.
Youíre probably right. My desire that they have gotten more does not imply criticism; they canít make a bigger/better deal if there isnít a willing trade partner.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:17 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Except this winterís starting pitching market sucks. The relief pitching market sucks, too.
I looked at the free agent list and man...you aren't kidding. Corbin is about to get paid entering his age 30 season. So is Eovaldi. Besides that, it's a lot of 30+ players who are on the downsides of their careers or they likely won't sign a 1 year deal. I suppose Keuchal could be a stud again but his velocity has diminished and his hard hit rate has been on the climb.

It's even worse for relievers.

But it highlights an absolute strength of this system and that's depth with the starting pitching prospects.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
It's hard for me to believe that no one was interested in Soria (who was having a good year) and that a Rule 5 eligible pitcher who hasn't had a single above average year in the minors is the best they can do.
And the year before when trading Swarzak who was having a great year (also to the Brewers)? Another Rule 5 guy who had been passed around like a hot potato.
and then there are KW's comments about scouting him in Hawaii his draft year.

Last edited by Tragg; 10-29-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It's hard for me to believe that no one was interested in Soria (who was having a good year) and that a Rule 5 eligible pitcher who hasn't had a single above average year in the minors is the best they can do.
And the year before when trading Swarzak who was having a great year (also to the Brewers)? Another Rule 5 guy who had been passed around like a hot potato.
and then there are KW's comments about scouting him in Hawaii his draft year.
Yeah man, Iím sure there were plenty of teams clamoring head over heels to give up their top 10 prospects for rental middle relievers. Real shame that Hahn keeps turning down good deals (that totally exist) for bad ones just so he can drive the team into the ground and make us scream at the heavens.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Not sure what this means, but Swarzak was pretty much garbage for his entire career. A GM is not going to trade a top prospect for a 30 year old middle reliever of his caliber...

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 10-29-2018, 10:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Not sure what this means, but Swarzak was pretty much garbage for his entire career. A GM is not going to trade a top prospect for a 30 year old middle reliever of his caliber...
Welcome to White Sox fan discussions - Day 1 of the MLB postseason: Let's revisit the failure that was the Anthony Freaking Swarzak trade.

How many days until pitchers and catchers report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Yeah man, I’m sure there were plenty of teams clamoring head over heels to give up their top 10 prospects for rental middle relievers. Real shame that Hahn keeps turning down good deals (that totally exist) for bad ones just so he can drive the team into the ground and make us scream at the heavens.
Here's one poster who agrees with you that Soria wasn't all that great.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...49#post3309749
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...0&postcount=19
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...03#post3314803

According to him, he was "overpaid" and "unlikely" to fetch a top 100 prospect:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ia#post3313991

Last edited by Hitmen77; 10-29-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:45 AM
WSI Regular

Luis Robert finally hit a home run in 2018. He hit one out yesterday. He definitely has power so let's hope this carries over to 2019.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Looking ahead to Tuesday night, the Sox will probably be fine with their 40 man situation. I can see them leaving Adams and Zavala exposed, neither are really poised to make a jump to the majors and neither would be a big loss.

The Padres are the team that might lose a bunch of guys, their 40 man is currently full and there are a few good players currently unprotected. I imagine that we'll see a flurry of transactions in the next 36 hours.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Looking ahead to Tuesday night, the Sox will probably be fine with their 40 man situation. I can see them leaving Adams and Zavala exposed, neither are really poised to make a jump to the majors and neither would be a big loss.

The Padres are the team that might lose a bunch of guys, their 40 man is currently full and there are a few good players currently unprotected. I imagine that we'll see a flurry of transactions in the next 36 hours.

It sounds like Tuesday night will be a good time to avoid Sox fan forums. I expect that someone among Stephens, Adams, Guerrero, etc. will be left off the 40-man due to roster constraints. No doubt all the arm-chair GMs with axes to grind against Sox management will be out with their torches and pitch forks after the roster moves are made. I mean, who can forget Jordan Guerrero-gate last winter?

While I'll be interested in seeing who makes the 40-man cut today, the answer to anyone's concern/outrage about Player A or Player B being left off will come when they hold the Rule 5 draft in a few weeks.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:55 AM
WSI Regular

I won't lose sleep if a AAAA player who's a backup at best doesn't make the 40-man.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:39 PM
WSI Prelate

I doubt they'll leave Zavala off the 40-man.....and that's not to suggest that I think he'll be a future all-star either.