White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 06:48 PM
WSI Guru

And now, we've got Cubs fans mad because Harper allegedly cheated to win the Home Run Derby. His father apparently broke the rule that his father threw a pitch or pitches before a ball or balls landed. Sour grapes all-around.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
And now, we've got Cubs fans mad because Harper allegedly cheated to win the Home Run Derby. His father apparently broke the rule that his father threw a pitch or pitches before a ball or balls landed. Sour grapes all-around.
Todd Frazier lost to Stanton two years ago because of the same issue. Pretty sure I posted a throwaway comment here about it, but I don't recall any discussion anywhere else. If I recall, Frazier also got ripped off because one of the kids in the outfield jumped up and robbed a homer over the short San Diego wall. Frazier wasn't complaining, and hopefully Schwarber wasn't either. This thing was booked for Harper to get the win in his own park last night. Baseball kinda needs moments like that, and I'm ok with that.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
This thing was booked for Harper to get the win in his own park last night. Baseball kinda needs moments like that, and I'm ok with that.
Iím not booked!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-17-2018, 08:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

http://m.mlb.com/player/547180/bryce-harper

http://m.mlb.com/player/656941/kyle-schwarber

A .214 guy, who loafs on the base paths, beats a defensively challenged sub .250 guy in a HR derby. With allegations of cheating to boot.

The decline of the game has never been so apparent.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 07-17-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Is batting average still a thing outside of fantasy leagues that havenít moved off the old standard categories yet?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:11 PM
WSI High Priest

This is one of the most talented eras of baseball in history right now. You have a generational talent in Mike Trout leading the way.

Most guys have figured out the derby can mess with their swings and forego it. That doesn't make it a bad era of baseball.

This is a GREAT era.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42
Is batting average still a thing outside of fantasy leagues that haven’t moved off the old standard categories yet?
It’s still useful in some cases. In fact, since his name was brought up, let’s examine how it’s useful in Harper’s case.

Harper is hitting .214, 63 points below his career average. His BABIP is .226, 78 points lower than his career average.

His power, however, has not been affected; his ISO of .254 actually is 21 points higher than his career average. Nor has his plate discipline been affected; his 63-point drop in batting average has led to only a 19-point drop in OBP (.365 in 2018 vs. .384 for his career).

Taking those numbers in context, it would appear that Harper is due for a surge at some point, and he will start getting back some of those precious singles that he’s been missing.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Itís still useful in some cases. In fact, since his name was brought up, letís examine how itís useful in Harperís case.

Harper is hitting .214, 63 points below his career average. His BABIP is .226, 78 points lower than his career average.

His power, however, has not been affected; his ISO of .254 actually is 21 points higher than his career average. Nor has his plate discipline been affected; his 63-point drop in batting average has led to only a 19-point drop in OBP (.365 in 2018 vs. .384 for his career).

Taking those numbers in context, it would appear that Harper is due for a surge at some point, and he will start getting back some of those precious singles that heís been missing.
Propellerhead! You're ruining the game!
Old 07-18-2018, 04:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It’s still useful in some cases. In fact, since his name was brought up, let’s examine how it’s useful in Harper’s case.

Taking those numbers in context, it would appear that Harper is due for a surge at some point, and he will start getting back some of those precious singles that he’s been missing.
Harper has an agent crying about a shift: "Shifting is grandly discriminatory in the game against power left-handed hitters" Boras said. “You’re affecting baseball on many, many levels in the negative way."

Because Harper is too hardheaded or lacks the skill to keep the defense honest baseball is being impacted negatively?

"Boras argued that with batting deficiencies and injury risk for fielders playing out of position, a rule change should be in order. Two infielders should have to stay on the left field side of second base"

Pretty thin...

Mr. Boras: Your client's lack of hustle on the base paths, the sliding emphasis on fundamentals and escalating salaries are affecting baseball in negative ways.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...urting-harper/

Last edited by Grzegorz; 07-18-2018 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Iím not going to blame Harper for his agentís verbal diarrhea.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Harper is not the best case to demonstrate that strikeouts don’t matter, since his decline in production can be directly attributed to his decline in contact rate. Furthermore, he has shown in the past that he can produce these kind of power numbers without striking out so much, meaning it can’t be said that he is striking out more in an attempt to maintain his power numbers. In other words, some of those strikeouts were HRs, doubles, triples, and yes precious singles (#OBP, #Advancing Runners, #RBI Opportunities, #Much Better Than Making An Out, And Even Better Than a Walk (duh!)) in previous seasons.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 07-18-2018, 08:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
They were constantly reminded?! They were the ones reminding the entire world! Hell they would go as far as celebrating it and call themselves the lovable losers. All while still feeling superior to everyone else, especially the Sox. They did not deserve any sympathy.

While they will go to the playoffs again - I don't see them going to the Series. They don't have the pitching.

I don't pay any attention to the all the Cubs gear. I proudly wear my Sox gear and love when the occasional comment is made - usually its by a Cub fan who jumped on their bandwagon just a few years ago. It's pretty easy to expose them and they tend to shut up really fast.

I'm glad Schwarber lost, I've grown sick and tired of his "story."

My whole point it the dumb behavior has increased since the winning began. You would think when the team is winning, their fans would be happy and go along for the ride. Instead they act worse.

As for any comments, I don't care about them. I just think it's stupid that Cub fans can't shut up especially when they finally got what they wanted. But who knows? Maybe they prefer to be lovable losers.

I do think they are acting as obnoxious as Red Sox fans. Your team finally wins, and you think your team is the only one in baseball.

Maybe they won't go to the Series, but right now they have the best record and run differential in the National League. We will see what happens. It will be interesting to see the whining if they go to the Series and lose.

All of this is harder to stomach when the Sox still stink. And they will stink for a while.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:29 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Itís still useful in some cases. In fact, since his name was brought up, letís examine how itís useful in Harperís case.

Taking those numbers in context, it would appear that Harper is due for a surge at some point, and he will start getting back some of those precious singles that heís been missing.
I seriously don't get why people don't get the importance of batting average. A hit, even a single, can score a runner from second and score two runners when there are runners on second and third. A single can move a runner on first over to third. Hits, even singles, are better than walks. Is batting average the end-all-be-all? Absolutely not. But is it valuable and important? Absolutely.

As for Harper in particular: You're right that his numbers show his power has been fine across the season the season but you are ignoring the fact that 18 of his homers came in April and May. In June his BABIP was .279 (which is still below his career norm of .309, but a huge improvement over his numbers in April and May) and his OPS was only .675. His problems this season suggest more than just bad luck that will eventually even out.

All year the Nats have been struggling to score runs and struggling to get timely hits. They're fifth in the NL in homers and OBP but ninth in runs scored and batting average. This is not to suggest there is a 1-to-1 correlation between batting average and runs scored (though on its face it would seem there SHOULD be some sort of correlation there) but the problem the Nats have had all year is they struggle to get hits with runners on and they often just struggle to get hits period.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I seriously don't get why people don't get the importance of batting average.
I appreciate your position, but if front offices are not considering it one of the major metrics anymore, maybe we should think about changing, too.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:58 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I appreciate your position, but if front offices are not considering it one of the major metrics anymore, maybe we should think about changing, too.
Would love to see a source for this claim. Let's not pretend that .AVG is as unimportant as W/L records for pitchers.
Closed Thread