GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2018, 02:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
I don't want the Sox to trade Avi or Abreu for peanuts just so they can tell fans that they've been busy. Avi has struggled with injuries this year that surely deflated his trade value and Abreu was mired in a terrible, lengthy slump at the deadline. Unless you know of specific offers they passed up for either of these guys, I think this criticism is unwarranted.

Regarding your last question, I would say 2020 is the year that Rick Hahn and others in management SHOULD be held accountable if this team is still going nowhere and prospects are failing. Not now and not even in 2019. I emphasize "should", because under current ownership I don't expect they will be held accountable at that point (or perhaps ever) if theoretically things go off the rails.
Agreed on both counts. People did the same hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth when Q and Frazier weren't traded two offseasons ago. You wait for the right deal--don't make moves for the sake of making moves.

It's just far too early to start calling for anyone's head here. Like it or not, being this bad is more or less part of the plan. Calling for Hahn's job because the results aren't there now, even from a prospect standpoint, is just impatience. Probably 3/4 of the players on whom the success of the rebuild depends haven't even spent a day in the Major Leagues. Just far too early to rush to any kind of greater judgment.

In the Majors: Moncada, Lopez, Giolito, Fry.

In the Minors: Kopech, Eloy, Cease, Hansen, Collins, Dunning, Rutherford, Robert, Madrigal, Burger, Burdi, Adolfo, etc. etc.

Making the reasonable assumptions that Moncada isn't quite this bad and Giolito is generally more like the pitcher he's been his last ten starts than his first, the former group struggling in 2018 is impacting success in 2020 far, far less than how the later group performs in 2019 and 2020.

When the team is this hard to watch it's really tough to just sit back and wait and see, but it really is all you can do, and I understand why some are having some difficulty accepting that.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post

Regarding your last question, I would say 2020 is the year that Rick Hahn and others in management SHOULD be held accountable if this team is still going nowhere and prospects are failing. Not now and not even in 2019. I emphasize "should", because under current ownership I don't expect they will be held accountable at that point (or perhaps ever) if theoretically things go off the rails.
I agree