GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2020, 11:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
The Sox don't have the mojo without Anderson in the lineup, that's all I know.
Heís a spark plug, for sure. Nice to have an dynamic player who is also an emotional catalyst to keep things fresh and exciting.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
This will help. Here's an interview of Madrigal at last week's hitter's camp:
https://southsidehitpen.com/2020/01/...nick-madrigal/
Have to root for the kid, though. Regardless of how you feel about mathematical predictors, he is someone worth pulling for. I canít wait to see his approach and how it translates to pro ball.

He isnít some limp-wristed slap hitter, he wants to and does hit the ball hard. He just happens to have a knack for being patient and taking what pitchers give him for singles and that gets a bad rap because of it. The types of ABs he has given every team so far are the ones you want out of your prototype leadoff man. I think heís going to be exactly the type of hitter this lineup needs with the bats we have.

Hopefully he comes up if he earns it, as the slow-starter label can be directly put on a single injury and the recovery that followed. I just want our best 26 up ASAP.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:46 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Yeah, because heaven forbid anyone goes against the hive mind about how super-awesome every single move Hahn makes is...
Wow, talk about a straw man. I haven't seen ANYBODY say every move Hahn makes is super-awesome, much less a "hive mind."

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 01-24-2020, 09:07 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Thanks for the perspective. IMO Madrigal has a pretty good shot at hitting even the higher marks (25 WAR), because his glove and bat-to-ball skills should give him a place on an MLB roster for a long time.
Yeah, 25 WAR of value is solid. Konerko's career WAR is 27.7, which I think shows how flawed of a stat WAR is in the first place, but that should put things in some perspective.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:41 AM
WSI High Priest

I love the joy, fun and energy that these young White Sox show- TA, Eloy, Moncada, etc.-

Whether a player completes interviews with the media in English or via an interpreter is 100% irrelevent to my feelings and excitement about the players and team overall.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
If youíll indulge me, Iím assuming that weíre already past that point with Madrigal. So yes, I would like something around a Gavin Floyd level of production.
I hope we're past that point with Madrigal too, he could still flop in the majors but he does appear to have a lot of the qualities and skills that make for a player that plays in the majors for awhile. I've been looking at David Eckstein (a late round pick) as someone Madrigal might follow in terms of production. 21 WAR for the career, 17.7 in the first six years.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-24-2020, 04:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I hope we're past that point with Madrigal too, he could still flop in the majors but he does appear to have a lot of the qualities and skills that make for a player that plays in the majors for awhile. I've been looking at David Eckstein (a late round pick) as someone Madrigal might follow in terms of production. 21 WAR for the career, 17.7 in the first six years.
The Eckstein comp is the most realistic one I have seen so far. That is a level of production I would consider nice to see out of a #4 pick.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The Eckstein comp is the most realistic one I have seen so far. That is a level of production I would consider nice to see out of a #4 pick.
More like Dustin Pedroia.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 01-24-2020, 07:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
More like Dustin Pedroia.
I donít see that kind of pop. Pedroia had a few seasons where he was knocking on the door of slugging .500.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I donít see that kind of pop. Pedroia had a few seasons where he was knocking on the door of slugging .500.
And Eckstein broke in at 26 and his hit tool was never rated 70 by anyone.

At 22, people didnít see that kind of pop for Pedroia, either. Their age 22 stats match up very well, actually.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I love the joy, fun and energy that these young White Sox show- TA, Eloy, Moncada, etc.-

Whether a player completes interviews with the media in English or via an interpreter is 100% irrelevent to my feelings and excitement about the players and team overall.
I was watching the SoxFest coverage on NBC Sports yesterday and Yoan answered some of the questions in English and they remarked that he's making good progress on his English. People should also remember that some players from Latin America may be able to hold a short conversation with fans in English, but know that more in-depth question and answers are better done through an interpreter.

Eloy seems to speak English well enough, but damn his infernal boyish enthusiasm!!!
Old 01-25-2020, 03:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I was watching the SoxFest coverage on NBC Sports yesterday and Yoan answered some of the questions in English and they remarked that he's making good progress on his English. People should also remember that some players from Latin America may be able to hold a short conversation with fans in English, but know that more in-depth question and answers are better done through an interpreter.

Eloy seems to speak English well enough, but damn his infernal boyish enthusiasm!!!
Hi Mom!
Old 01-26-2020, 08:31 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
I was watching the SoxFest coverage on NBC Sports yesterday and Yoan answered some of the questions in English and they remarked that he's making good progress on his English.

Thats great, I hope his cuban teammates are working on it also, Robert and Abreu (mentor).
Old 01-26-2020, 11:25 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

How about Chuck Knoblauch for a Madrigal comp? Those numbers look attainable for Madrigal.

ďOnlyĒ 44.8 career bWAR.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
How about Chuck Knoblauch for a Madrigal comp? Those numbers look attainable for Madrigal.

ďOnlyĒ 44.8 career bWAR.
Knoblauch is another guy like Pedroia who had some years where he flirted with slugging .500, and he even eclipsed .500 slugging once.

I just donít see that happening.