Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2005, 03:40 PM
WSI Personality

Makes me wonder what else is up. McCarthy is ready and not well-suited to relief (due to prep issues. He's a starter) Seems to me KW is not the type to let assets gather dust. I predict we'll be hearing from him on another Wednesday soon. If they keep all 6, I wouldn't be surprised if Fingernails on a blackboard starts season in Charlotte.

Of course there is one nightmare scenario for us FOCY, and that's Fingernails on a blackboard beating Vazquez out in the spring. Don't tell me it can't happen. Their stuff is very similar and Fingernails on a blackboard has much larger cojones.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Stolen from another messag board, but IMO priceless......

In a related story, Matt Karcher recently signed a new three year contract with Sprint for wireless service using some of the money he stole from the Cubs.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:47 PM
WSI Regular

This is amazing. I really didn't give JG much credit when it came to loyalty, and figured he'd want to test the FA waters. But for the umpteenth time this year, Garland totally surprises me.

Don't get me wrong, winning the WS is the greatest feeling I've ever gotten from being a fan of this game. But just having guys like PK, AJ, and JG to cheer for is a pretty good feeling, as well. All 3 could have probably made more cash elsewhere, but all three re-upped here. We have a team full of guys who play hard, and who enjoy playing here, for us (rather than just considering the $$$ bottom line when choosing where to play). Not many pro franchises is any of the 4 majors can say that. Obviously, this must be some sort of divine retribution for all the Wells/Navarro-type human toliets who we've had to tolerate thru the years.

I've been a White Sox fan for 30+ years now, and I've never loved a team as much as the group of guys we had out there on the diamond in '05.

WELCOME HOME, JON!
Old 12-28-2005, 03:58 PM
WSI Regular

Hmm, very interesting...but good news. Someone will be traded...question is who? For what? Thanks Kenny for making even the offseason interesting.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:00 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24
Stolen from another messag board, but IMO priceless......

In a related story, Matt Karcher recently signed a new three year contract with Sprint for wireless service using some of the money he stole from the Cubs.

So is it time for the Matt Karchner Appreciation Thread now?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Wow, this is a shock! I suppose this now puts the pressure on Contreras, and actually puts the Sox in the drivers seat. They definitely can offer the same type deal and if he does not bite, out he goes.

But if he does stay, I could see Vasquez being sent to the Mets or Baltimore. They both had a major want for him, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind it either. Plus, either team would have him for three years.

KW can keep the cash the D-backs sent with him, and save it for Buherle's next contract!!

'We drafted him... He achieved greatness here... A 2-time MVP, and one of the BEST hitters in MLB history... And soon he will wear a White Sox uniform again... On his Hall of Fame plaque. He's #35, Frank Thomas!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:01 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theanticub
Hmm, very interesting...but good news. Someone will be traded...question is who? For what? Thanks Kenny for making even the offseason interesting.
I agree, but I say Kenny will wait until June or the trading deadline. Player's values are much higher in season and it lets them wait it out for injuries, fatigue, kryptonite, etc.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

What a nice surprise.

It's all good, especially if we re-sign Contreras, our best pitcher even if he's not our most popular one.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Fisk
WEDNESDAY!
WEDNESDAY!
WEDNESDAY!

Thanks for staying Jon.
Kenny Williams works only one day a week to let the other 29 teams think they have a chance.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:15 PM
WSI Personality

Yes, agreed, another fine move. Folks, we very well could be in the midst of a mini-dynasty. Although, they DID say that about the Bears after 85.

Anyways, great to retain a young pitcher, to go along with a pretty young staff. Contreras looks ripe for the dealing - considering his age, but then again, it looks like he finally turned the corner consistency wise. I like the idea of keeping the six, and having one hang in the bullpen based on spring training results. We do need another arm or two in there as it is.

Otherwise, I'm outright giddy at our lineup! LET'S ROLL!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Contreras has a lower trade value than Garland, due to his age and past history (though I'd argue that Contreras has far better stuff). Hopefully that quiets the movement to trade away one of our starters.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 12-28-2005, 04:20 PM
WSI Guru

Location: Body is in Chicago. Mind is in Salt Lake City, Utah

This team is destined to be a dynasty! Garland's performance last year is not just smokescreen; he's just getting into the type of pitcher he will be for the bulk of his career. This is a great move by the Sox, as Jon is one of the key ingredients to our awesome start last year.

Bucket List Tracker
States Visited: All 50
Attended an NHL game in 14 NHL cities (Next: St. Louis 12/14)
Attended Mass at 8 Archdiocese Cathedrals (Next: St. Louis 12/15)

I really love Salt Lake City
Old 12-28-2005, 04:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxinem1
I could see Vasquez being sent to the Mets or Baltimore. They both had a major want for him, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind it either. Plus, either team would have him for three years.

KW can keep the cash the D-backs sent with him, and save it for Buherle's next contract!!
This is my favorite scenario. In my opinion, Vazquez is the weakest of the six. I guess we don't really know enough about Fingernails on a blackboard, but he seems to have the stuff and the composure. I talked to a friend who is a Yankee fan recently, and he had good things to say about Vazquez, at least in terms of ability. That made me feel a little better about the deal with Arizona, but I still feel like it was a bad move.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:23 PM
WSI High Priest

The game---------------------------------------->Kenny Williams

"I'm so far ahead most of these clown can't even see my dust!"
Old 12-28-2005, 04:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Great move! Thanks Jon! Thanks Kenny! Thanks Jerry!

Now the Sox can ship Vasquez plus prospects to the Devil Rays for Carl Crawford!
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.