GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2019, 11:23 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
The team is generating goodwill because of the development of rebuild pieces like Moncada, Anderson, Giolito, and Robert. It is not generating goodwill because of its minuscule chance of making the playoffs. The media and many fans, unlike a significant chunk of the WSI user base, seems to grasp the logic of rebuilding.

Trading away Abreu, Colome, or McCann in July isn't going to hurt the team from a PR perspective. People know what's up.
really hope they don't trade McCann. The other two I'm okay with.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-24-2019, 11:35 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
really hope they don't trade McCann. The other two I'm okay with.
I agree because he seems to be the best option to be the starting catcher moving forward.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:35 PM
WSI Guru

My last post generated a few responses, so maybe I should clarify that I never said this season was a playoff season. Yes, I said I want to win now. What I meant was I want to win with players currently on the team who largely are responsible for the improvement we've seen, both veterans and young players. In short, I don't want us to be sellers for much longer, if at all during this rebuild.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
In short, I don't want us to be sellers for much longer, if at all during this rebuild.
Not sellers + rebuild = does not compute

I think you're just frustrated. That's fine, but the easiest way to mess with the path forward is to diverge.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-24-2019, 12:48 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Manny Machado would have been a huge help to the team in 2020, 2021, etc. He's a generational talent and would have made the Sox a much better team.

What solid pitchers did you want Hahn to acquire? Baseball doesn't reward mediocrity, it rewards either excellence (with the Commissioner's Trophy) or awfulness (with high draft picks). Adding just a top starter to the 2019 White Sox would have made this from a slightly below average team to a merely average team - no reward for that.

Hahn should acquire a top-flight starter before the 2020 or 2021 seasons. That will need to be via trade given the lack of FA options.
Machado is good but do you really believe he would be the key to the Sox's future success? I don't. We have a 3rd baseman who is not too bad (Moncada .295BA .856OPS, Machado .278BA, .847OPS). Like all winning teams, we need pitching; not another 3rd baseman (even a "generational" one).
I wanted to Sox to pursue Patrick Corbin. Maybe there were better choices but I thought he would have helped.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Machado is good but do you really believe he would be the key to the Sox's future success? I don't. We have a 3rd baseman who is not too bad (Moncada .295BA .856OPS, Machado .278BA, .847OPS). Like all winning teams, we need pitching; not another 3rd baseman (even a "generational" one).
I wanted to Sox to pursue Patrick Corbin. Maybe there were better choices but I thought he would have helped.
Yeah I think having a future Hall of Famer in the lineup would have made the team better. Moncada and Tim Anderson would have gone to 2B and 3B and you'd essentially be swapping Machado for Yolmer Sanchez. I think this team could win without Machado but he'd make things much easier.

The White Sox have such a low payroll that I don't believe signing Machado would have prevented them from adding pitching. Besides, there simply isn't a big-name pitching FA available to use the Machado money for. The only one on the market was Sale (he now took himself off the market) and I don't think he'd sign with the White Sox for all the money in the world.

I live in the DC area and follow the Nationals and Patrick Corbin has been a disappointment so far.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides

Last edited by HomeFish; 06-24-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:01 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Not sellers + rebuild = does not compute

I think you're just frustrated. That's fine, but the easiest way to mess with the path forward is to diverge.
You're damn right I'm frustrated. I'm frustrated with rooting for a losing team. I'm frustrated with playing second fiddle in our own city with nothing legitimate to counter with in the short term. And I'm frustrated with the prime of my life going by without even the opportunity to buy tickets to a playoff game on the South Side. Enough is enough. I want a winner, and I want it in the absolute worst way.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:10 PM
WSI High Priest

The way you win in MLB today is you become intentionally bad for several years, compile draft picks and prospects, and then build around a core of cheap young players under firm team control for half a decade.

This is what the Cubs did to win their World Series. This is what the Astros did to win their World Series. This is what the Braves did who now rule the NL East, having supplanted the Nationals who won 4 division titles with the same strategy. This is what pretty much every good team does. There are a few freaks like the Red Sox who through excellent talent identification and development and a willingness to go big on FA signings can stay good long term without rebuilding but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Instead of being frustrated that the Sox are bad, you should be happy that they are taking action to build a winner the right way. And the plan is mostly going along well, what with Moncada, Giolito, Anderson, etc all taking huge steps forward this season along with Robert and others in the minors.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:16 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

Instead of being frustrated that the Sox are bad, you should be happy that they are taking action to build a winner the right way. And the plan is mostly going along well, what with Moncada, Giolito, Anderson, etc all taking huge steps forward this season along with Robert and others in the minors.
I'm not as frustrated with the Sox being bad as I am that people still want to sell parts off to the point that next year can't be the beginning of our actual good seasons. You'd think people would want to see results sooner than later, but nope.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:18 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Yeah I think having a future Hall of Famer in the lineup would have made the team better. Moncada and Tim Anderson would have gone to 2B and 3B and you'd essentially be swapping Machado for Yolmer Sanchez. I think this team could win without Machado but he'd make things much easier.

The White Sox have such a low payroll that I don't believe signing Machado would have prevented them from adding pitching. Besides, there simply isn't a big-name pitching FA available to use the Machado money for. The only one on the market was Sale (he now took himself off the market) and I don't think he'd sign with the White Sox for all the money in the world.

I live in the DC area and follow the Nationals and Patrick Corbin has been a disappointment so far.
What Machado would have done is provide a little room for error with our young infielders (Anderson/Moncada/Madrigal). Having him locked in would have really put the future infield in a position of strength. Right now we need all 3 of them to hit in order for the infield to be a team strength. That still could happen, and the chances that it does seem to have gone up with the good first halves that Moncada and Anderson are having (as well as Madrigal's play over the past few weeks).

SP is still the weak link for the rebuild, now and for the next few years. At this point I feel more confident that the Sox can construct an entirely home-grown IF than they can construct an entirely home-grown starting rotation.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I'm not as frustrated with the Sox being bad as I am that people still want to sell parts off to the point that next year can't be the beginning of our actual good seasons. You'd think people would want to see results sooner than later, but nope.
Better results >>>>> sooner results.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
That's both missing the forest for the trees, and leads to things like acquiring the James Shields of the world for Top 100 prospects.