White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2019, 11:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyroger2 View Post
Speaking of California they should take a hard look at Oakland. Not sure why they still have a team or are trying to get a new stadium. Oakland has homeless and economic issues that are literally doubling every year, but they have money for a stadium? For a team that's averaged 28th in the league in attendance the last five years? Even last year when they damn near won 100 games they were bottom of the league in draws. Not to mention the Raiders and Warriors have already left town/are leaving.
Oakland is going to get a ton of rich people living there very soon (many are there already) because those people are priced out of San Francisco or Silicon Valley. You're right, putting a team in San Jose would make more sense but the Giants would not allow it. (They, indeed, tried to move the A's to San Jose).

San Jose is one of the 10 largest cities in the United States, believe it or not.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-24-2019, 11:28 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Oakland is going to get a ton of rich people living there very soon (many are there already) because those people are priced out of San Francisco or Silicon Valley. You're right, putting a team in San Jose would make more sense but the Giants would not allow it. (They, indeed, tried to move the A's to San Jose).

San Jose is one of the 10 largest cities in the United States, believe it or not.
Oakland already has a new stadium also. It's set to open in 2023 and yes all parts of the Bay Area are seeing massive gentrification as people find the cost of renting/owning skyrocketing. But, there's a ton of new development going on so we might start seeing some older buildings start to drop in in price in coming years. I'm actually betting on this currently as we maybe looking for a condo in two years and I think prices are going to drop as supply goes up.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-24-2019, 02:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I believe it, I've been out there a few times. Have family in Sacramento and Santa Rosa up north. Maybe I've heard different, I didn't realize the stadium was a done deal. I thought the city just passed the initial funding bills last week, over strenuous local opposition, from environmentalists and port workers, etc. and there was still a long way to go.

I get that more rich people are moving in but isn't that the issue? That the city is pricing out a significant chunk of the population? Just seems odd to read that homelessness is up nearly double in the last 2-3 years but the funding for a stadium is okayed. For a team that has attendance around Tampa Bay numbers.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

The A's ballpark design is way out there. Located at the Howard Terminal seaport, it sits right on the bay and per the renditions has an open park feel to it, although I'm sure the final design will have outfield fences, etc.

Personally, I liked the design they had for San Jose a few years ago, but the Giants shot that down.

The A's/Giants market relationship dynamics are very similar to the SOX/Cubs market relationship. One team tends to dominate the media and plays in a pretty ballpark surrounded by trendy bars and restaurants.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/...minal-stadium/
Old 06-25-2019, 05:22 PM
WSI Guru

Location: Body is in Chicago. Mind is in Salt Lake City, Utah

I enjoyed my day in Montreal a couple years ago when I saw the Blackhawks play the Canadiens at Centre Bell. It would be nice to go there again to see the Sox.

Bucket List Tracker
States Visited: All 50
Attended an NHL game in 14 NHL cities (Next: St. Louis 12/14)
Attended Mass at 8 Archdiocese Cathedrals (Next: St. Louis 12/15)

I really love Salt Lake City
Old 06-28-2019, 04:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
The A's ballpark design is way out there. Located at the Howard Terminal seaport, it sits right on the bay and per the renditions has an open park feel to it, although I'm sure the final design will have outfield fences, etc.

Personally, I liked the design they had for San Jose a few years ago, but the Giants shot that down.

The A's/Giants market relationship dynamics are very similar to the SOX/Cubs market relationship. One team tends to dominate the media and plays in a pretty ballpark surrounded by trendy bars and restaurants.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/...minal-stadium/
Exactly. When the Sox need a new ballpark in a decade, expect the situation to be the same level of hairy. Do the Cubs have a say in where the Sox can put a new ballpark? If so, they can make life very difficult.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I'll believe it when I see it.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-28-2019, 06:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Oakland already has a new stadium also. It's set to open in 2023 and yes all parts of the Bay Area are seeing massive gentrification as people find the cost of renting/owning skyrocketing. But, there's a ton of new development going on so we might start seeing some older buildings start to drop in in price in coming years. I'm actually betting on this currently as we maybe looking for a condo in two years and I think prices are going to drop as supply goes up.

So this is development on undeveloped lands or is it tear downs?
Old 06-29-2019, 12:34 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
So this is development on undeveloped lands or is it tear downs?
I don't know but it's hardly prime real estate being so close to the docks. It's right on the Bay as you can see from the graphic in the article. It will be the East Bay answer to Balco field

As someone who lives in the Bay Area I can tell you gentrification is ripping through the East Bay as people get priced out of the West Bay. It's happening everywhere and of course South Bay is not an answer because of all the money in Silicon Valley keeping prices high.

TONS of development all over the East Bay. 800K+ condos going up in Fremont and heading north. I'm witnessing it all first hand. It will take a long time for Oakland to reach full gentrification but parts of it the prices are going through the roof.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
Exactly. When the Sox need a new ballpark in a decade, expect the situation to be the same level of hairy. Do the Cubs have a say in where the Sox can put a new ballpark? If so, they can make life very difficult.
Why would the Cubs have a say?
Old 06-30-2019, 01:55 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Why would the Cubs have a say?
He's wondering if it's anything like the Bay Area situation, where the Giants have territorial exclusivity to parts of the Bay that the A's would like to move to.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 06-30-2019, 05:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
He's wondering if it's anything like the Bay Area situation, where the Giants have territorial exclusivity to parts of the Bay that the A's would like to move to.
If I am the White Sox owner I'd throw a relocation comment out there. After all it's the Chicago White Sox. How could the Chicago Cubs be confused with the Chicago White Sox? Would the issue be collusion on prices? Where the Chicago White Sox draw off some of the Cubbies fans because of less expensive prices? If I am the WS I go after that red meat.

...and if I am the vainglorious Chicago Cubs management I take that Pepsi Challenge all day long.

Last edited by Grzegorz; 06-30-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Downtown is off limits to both teams. Don't know if the flubs blocked building New Comiskey in Addison, which was the original plan. I'd've preferred that, tbh, Addison is a nice area.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:28 PM
WSI Regular

The Sox and Cubs can move literally anywhere in Chicagoland they choose according to the MLB Constitution.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:47 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
Downtown is off limits to both teams. Don't know if the flubs blocked building New Comiskey in Addison, which was the original plan. I'd've preferred that, tbh, Addison is a nice area.
Other than the fact that there is no room to develop a stadium, how is Downtown off limits?

Addison was not going to work because too many people can't get there easily, not centrally located, no CTA and the Metra is a spoke system out of downtown. There are a lot of nice areas in the suburbs.