Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2019, 01:27 AM
WSI Guru

Missed most of this game, but glad Eloy gave the Wrigley faithful a rude welcome.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:28 AM
WSI High Priest

My report from Wrigley:

-There were a lot of Sox fans in attendance tonight. Way more than the previous couple years. When Eloy went yard, it was LOUD.

-Moncada should have been put on the IL a week ago. Why play with a short roster in an NL park?

-Nova pitched well. Hopefully, a sign he is returning to his career norm. Renteria pulling him when he did was good managing.

-That Abreu "catcher interference" call was beyond borderline. A big play that thankfully didn't cost us the game.

-Our bullpen is pretty darn solid this year. Bummer, Fry, Marshall, and Colome were all terrific.

-Cubs fans still cheer the hell out of medium depth flyballs
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-19-2019, 03:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
Nova didn't let the leadoff HR derail him, and the 'pen only gives up 2 hits in 4 innings.
Eloy aside Nova and the relievers were the story of this game.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 06-19-2019 at 04:15 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
We will know we’re close to contention when guys like Covey, Bañuelos, and Despaigne are no longer getting the ball every fifth day, and guys like Minaya and Ruiz are no longer working out of the bullpen.
The fans will know the team is ready to contend when the names you mentioned are replaced by others and those others pitch effectively w/o racking up injuries.

Try to enjoy the win; other than that popup the Chicago White Sox looked like a MLB team.

Last edited by Grzegorz; 06-19-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

I can't remember when i've seen so many Sox fans at Wrigley . maybe now Cub fans know what it feels like to have the other team invading your park . had the feel of a playoff game for me . watching Jimenez's hands as he swings the bat there, in that park, gave me flashbacks of watching Ernie Banks, with his effortless swing that carried so much power with it . that was the most exciting and entertaining game of the year for me . really looking forward to watching Gio tonight.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:37 AM
WSI High Priest

If you watch the replay of Eloy's HR on MLB.com you see a ton of Sox fans and they all stand up as soon as the bat hits the ball.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-19-2019, 07:03 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post

Regarding the game—that was AWESOME, probably the best Sox moment since 2012. I do feel kind of bad for Q though. He was great for us, and he’s getting blasted right now. It’s not his fault that the cubs made a terrible trade.
Great point, it's not his fault that the Wonder Twins of Jed/Theo overpaid to acquire him. I note that the two other minor leaguers the White Sox acquired in that trade are now playing independent league baseball.

I chalked up last night as a loss but when I entered Wrigley Field with my Cubs friend, he said Nova was 4-1 lifetime at Wrigley.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
My report from Wrigley:

-There were a lot of Sox fans in attendance tonight. Way more than the previous couple years. When Eloy went yard, it was LOUD.

-Moncada should have been put on the IL a week ago. Why play with a short roster in an NL park?

-Nova pitched well. Hopefully, a sign he is returning to his career norm. Renteria pulling him when he did was good managing.

-That Abreu "catcher interference" call was beyond borderline. A big play that thankfully didn't cost us the game.

-Our bullpen is pretty darn solid this year. Bummer, Fry, Marshall, and Colome were all terrific.

-Cubs fans still cheer the hell out of medium depth flyballs
Jose was across most of the plate at the time of the throw. He made no attempt to get out of the way. Did you expect a non-call?
Old 06-19-2019, 07:53 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Jose was across most of the plate at the time of the throw. He made no attempt to get out of the way. Did you expect a non-call?
I thought it could have gone either way. He did make an effort to get back. He was just off balance after throwing his bat at a low outside pitch. He didn't bump the catcher and did not cross the throwing lane and his foot barely touched the inside edge of the plate.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-19-2019, 09:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Great win for the Good Guys. I love what Benetti said after the Jimenez HR - "Thanks Cubs!"

That's 3 out of 5 so far against the Yankees and Cubs. Not bad for a team that only wins games against bad teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
That’s a lot of starting pitching to scrape together in only one offseason. Cease figures to be up here, and Kopech should be ready to go, but what if they don’t immediately succeed? There is also one more spot to fill when Nova leaves. My best guess is that Giolito, Lopez, Cease, and Kopech all have spots locked down for 2020, but with Rodon and Dunning both needing more time, who takes that last spot?

As for free agent pitchers (and free agents in general), the pickings are slim at this point. The time to secure real game-changing talent through that avenue was this past offseason.
Then we ride out their rookie struggles until they get on track barring some unforeseen total implosion. I don't think anyone is saying we'll be pennant contenders right on opening day next year.

If Giolito, Lopez, Cease, and Kopech all have spots locked down for 2020, then how is that a lot of starting pitching to scrape together? Isn't there just one more spot if those other guys have 1-4 locked down?

And I don't disagree with the general point that we need more starting pitching. I'm no longer even counting on Rodon. At best, he'll be back to full strength at the start of 2021, which is the Boras client's walk year. No reason why Dunning couldn't bounce back, but he's only had 1/2 season at AA so far. Between returning from TJS and resuming his climb through the minors, it'll probably be the start of 2022 before he could make the Sox rotation. Heck, I wouldn't even assume Lopez has a spot locked down next year (unfortunately).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangelosi CF View Post
Great point, it's not his fault that the Wonder Twins of Jed/Theo overpaid to acquire him. I note that the two other minor leaguers the White Sox acquired in that trade are now playing independent league baseball.

I chalked up last night as a loss but when I entered Wrigley Field with my Cubs friend, he said Nova was 4-1 lifetime at Wrigley.
To clarify, of course you mean other than Cease. If Jimenez continues mashing baseballs and Cease lives up to his potential, that trade will be total highway robbery.

Wonder Twins - love it.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I thought it could have gone either way. He did make an effort to get back. He was just off balance after throwing his bat at a low outside pitch. He didn't bump the catcher and did not cross the throwing lane and his foot barely touched the inside edge of the plate.

The Sox had to beat both the Cubs and the umpiring crew last night. The guy calling balls and strikes was brutal, and then that interference call.

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L

Next Game Ju1 23
Old 06-19-2019, 09:52 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
The Sox had to beat both the Cubs and the umpiring crew last night. The guy calling balls and strikes was brutal, and then that interference call.
Plate was very wide last night. I didn't notice if Nova was getting the same calls, but Hamels had several extra inches to work with for sure.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Caratini also seemed to purposely lean his body forward in an attempt to initiate that contact knowing he had no shot to get Anderson at 2B. The contact that ended up happening was so slight that I doubt that interference call happens 99 times out of 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
I can't remember when i've seen so many Sox fans at Wrigley . maybe now Cub fans know what it feels like to have the other team invading your park . had the feel of a playoff game for me . watching Jimenez's hands as he swings the bat there, in that park, gave me flashbacks of watching Ernie Banks, with his effortless swing that carried so much power with it . that was the most exciting and entertaining game of the year for me . really looking forward to watching Gio tonight.
I usually go to 1 crosstown game at Wrigley every year. This is the most Sox fans I saw and heard in the building probably since 2012. The most ever was 2006 when at least 50% of the stadium was Sox fans. When Eloy's bomb cleared the fence, it was LOUD last night. (I contributed) There were also plenty of "Let's go White Sox!" chants throughout the night. Just a couple years ago, I was at the one where Davidson hit a HR to help the Sox win it and there couldn't have been more than 1000 or 2000 Sox fans for that one. Last night seemed more like 10-12K. Enthusiasm and interest for this team is definitely building back up.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:08 AM
WSI High Priest

Bummer is turning into one of the great developments of 2019- credit to the player development team that drafted him and has worked with him over the past few seasons as he struggled (another example of not writing off prospects because they struggle in their initial attempts of performing at the major league level).

Colome has just been awesome- I know many questioned the wisdom of trading a young(ish) catcher for a closer when you're still rebuilding- but imagine how this season would be if instead of our closer being 15/15 in save opportunities we were 10/15- instead of being 35-36, we'd be 30-41- I think the season would feel completely different for both the fans and more importantly the players we want to develop into a winning club for the long term.

Any time we win in a non-Giolito game is a great win- what a fun, memorable night.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Plate was very wide last night. I didn't notice if Nova was getting the same calls, but Hamels had several extra inches to work with for sure.

Nova did not get the same wide plate. In fact, one of Nova's pitches was completely inside the pitch track box and called a ball. Brutal stuff.