Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 03:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

The internet has given a platform for a very small amount of people to complain, then the media does a story on it and it becomes a "controversial story" but it's not really a movement, it's lazy journalism.

But as someone that lived though the disco era, the biggest annoyance was that a lot of great bands jumped on the disco bandwagon and made horrible, embarrassing music. The Rolling Stones made Miss You, Rod Stewart with Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, the Beach Boys made Here Comes The Night, The Greatful Dead made Shakedown Street. All of these songs are sad and pathetic when compared to the classics they made prior.

The early 70's was a great time for Rock and Roll music but by the late 70's, the drugs and drinking really took their toll and some great bands started to fade fast. The anti-disco movement wasn't necessarily anti-disco as it was that rock and roll in the late 70's wasn't good and disco was very popular....so disco took the brunt of the criticism.

As for the disco backlash for the gay community, that never even appeared to me and it's something I didn't hear of until like 2003. Maybe some people associated disco music with the gay community but I didn't. In the late 70's if you went to club with dancing they played disco just like now if you go to a club they will play dance music. The types of music have changed but it's always been dance music.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:18 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
The internet has given a platform for a very small amount of people to complain, then the media does a story on it and it becomes a "controversial story" but it's not really a movement, it's lazy journalism.

But as someone that lived though the disco era, the biggest annoyance was that a lot of great bands jumped on the disco bandwagon and made horrible, embarrassing music. The Rolling Stones made Miss You, Rod Stewart with Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, the Beach Boys made Here Comes The Night, The Greatful Dead made Shakedown Street. All of these songs are sad and pathetic when compared to the classics they made prior.

The early 70's was a great time for Rock and Roll music but by the late 70's, the drugs and drinking really took their toll and some great bands started to fade fast. The anti-disco movement wasn't necessarily anti-disco as it was that rock and roll in the late 70's wasn't good and disco was very popular....so disco took the brunt of the criticism.

As for the disco backlash for the gay community, that never even appeared to me and it's something I didn't hear of until like 2003. Maybe some people associated disco music with the gay community but I didn't. In the late 70's if you went to club with dancing they played disco just like now if you go to a club they will play dance music. The types of music have changed but it's always been dance music.
Miss You is a freaking awesome song.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-17-2019, 05:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
For me, it's their last truly great song. Chicago's own Sugar Blue on harp...
Old 06-17-2019, 05:47 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
miss you is a freaking awesome song.
+1

Thanks for being an awesome ambassador Minnie!
Old 06-18-2019, 07:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post

Yeah, I'm just gonna go ahead and disagree with you about those 2 particular songs.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernam View Post
For me, it's their last truly great song. Chicago's own Sugar Blue on harp...
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueerGirrl View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Yeah, I'm just gonna go ahead and disagree with you about those 2 particular songs.
Add me to the list of people who think Miss You is a great song.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 06-18-2019, 08:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Add me to the list of people who think Miss You is a great song.
Meh. It's my 8th favorite song on "Some Girls."

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 06-18-2019, 08:49 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Not about the giveaway anymore. Thanks for keeping it civil people. Good discussion.
Closed Thread