GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2019, 12:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Jose Valentin mimicked Sammy Sosa's homerun skip and blowing kisses after he hit a big home run against the Cubs at some point in the 2000s. I don't think that went over well with Cubs fans, but I don't know if it registered enough that they hated him for it.
Some media members were terribly offended, as I recall.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
It is really hard to say anyone will ever be as hated as AJ.

The other problem is, usually hated comes from jealousy. Like, I am not happy Keller hit Anderson, but I would care more if we were playing games that REALLY mattered. Since its been so long without a good team, and inconsistent time frames between good teams, its harder to find anyone worth hating.
I was at a game in Oakland where Pierzynski was loudly booed when the starting lineups were being announced. That went way back, of course, but his year with the Giants (who released him) might have made things worse.

Cubs fans reflex hatred of White Sox players has been present as long as I've followed baseball. Around 1970, there was a Tribune article talking about the White Sox hatred in the Cubs bleachers (as if fans of a contending team should care about the local struggling team). One of the bleacher bums said of the White Sox outfielders, Walter Williams, Carlos May and Ken Berry, "One has no neck, one has no thumb and one has no brain."

Seriously, that was as likeable outfield as a team could put together. I don't know if Cubs fans were joking a half century earlier about the left fielder having no shoes and the center fielder having no brain. Maybe it was an insult that spanned generations of Cubs fans.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Some media members were terribly offended, as I recall.
The same media members who today, won't give him the time of day.
Not trying to derail this topic, but, has there been a bigger Chicago star to fall from grace as low as Sosa has?
Old 06-10-2019, 01:53 PM
WSI High Priest

I've definitely heard Tigers fans saying they hate Joe Crede.

AJ Pierzynski will get booed everywhere except the South Side and maybe Minnesota.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-12-2019, 01:19 PM
WSI Regular

Probably more for his time with the Indians, but Albert Belle was disliked by just about everyone.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:38 PM
WSI Personality

AJ was an ass, but he was OUR ass.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I was at a game in Oakland where Pierzynski was loudly booed when the starting lineups were being announced. That went way back, of course, but his year with the Giants (who released him) might have made things worse.
When you said Oakland I thought of this HR he hit against them in the playoffs in '02, complete with bat flip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7E04IKeG6E
Some of this could have still been lingering for Oakland fans, that could explain it also.