White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 08:48 AM
WSI High Priest

I love that somebody in this organization is using the term launch angles.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-25-2019, 08:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's great to see Robert and Madrigal raking at AA, but how much of it is because of facing bad pitching, I wonder? I'd love to see what they can do at AAA this season, but something tells me they don't get promoted until next season.

Meanwhile, watching players like Gonzalez and Rutherford start to turn it on, and Sheets remain semi-consistent is really nice to see.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 06-25-2019, 09:08 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
EDIT for last post: "Omar Vizquel isn't worried...." The system won't let me fix that.
Hard to edit posts with links inside them. Not sure why.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-25-2019, 10:54 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
It's great to see Robert and Madrigal raking at AA, but how much of it is because of facing bad pitching, I wonder? I'd love to see what they can do at AAA this season, but something tells me they don't get promoted until next season.

Meanwhile, watching players like Gonzalez and Rutherford start to turn it on, and Sheets remain semi-consistent is really nice to see.
Some of Robert and Madrigal's success could be explained by bad pitching, but not all of it.

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Some of Robert and Madrigal's success could be explained by bad pitching, but not all of it.
And actually pitchers have been dominating hitters at AA for a good chunk of the year.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:12 AM
WSI Personality

Through 107 games and 454 plate appearances, Nick Madrigal has struck out 12 times. That is an absolutely remarkable stat. He will never hit for power but I think it's a safe bet that he is going to be a very, very, good hitter at the next level. Oh, and he's pretty good with the glove.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:26 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Through 107 games and 454 plate appearances, Nick Madrigal has struck out 12 times. That is an absolutely remarkable stat. He will never hit for power but I think it's a safe bet that he is going to be a very, very, good hitter at the next level. Oh, and he's pretty good with the glove.
He seems like a great situational hitter as well. Because of his extremely high contact rate and tons of base hits, he drives in a bunch of runs for not having much power at all. He is on pace for 85-90 RBIs at this point (in a 162 game season). If there is a runner on 3b, he's a good bet to put the ball in play and drive him in. Guy on second? Base knock driving a run in.

He's hit right behind Robert most of this year and because Robert has gotten on base so much in front of him, he is getting an infield with a few more holes than there would be with bases empty. This is perfect for him and his style, so making me rethink about him batting 1st or 9th which have less runners on. Will see how this all develops over time.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Great outing by Jonathan Stiever last night in his first start after being promoted to Winston Salem:
7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 7 K

Bennett Sousa pitched 1 scoreless inning in relief (his 3rd appearance since moving up from Kannapolis). Another recently promoted pitcher, Kade McClure, gets the start for W-S tonight.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I love that somebody in this organization is using the term launch angles.
Same here. Ted Williams's book on hitting should be a must-read for all players and coaches.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Great outing by Jonathan Stiever last night in his first start after being promoted to Winston Salem:
7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 7 K
Saw somewhere that he was hitting 98 on the gun last night. Good to have another high upside SP in the system it seems.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:30 PM
WSI Prelate

At the end of April, it looked like Rutherford might have to repeat AA in 2020.

Now, it looks like hes figuring it out. Maybe he starts 2020 in Charlotte, which is where youd expect him to show some power.

Then, if he shows some power in Charlotte, maybe hes starts 2021 in RF in Chicago.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
At the end of April, it looked like Rutherford might have to repeat AA in 2020.

Now, it looks like hes figuring it out. Maybe he starts 2020 in Charlotte, which is where youd expect him to show some power.

Then, if he shows some power in Charlotte, maybe hes starts 2021 in RF in Chicago.
He's kind of an interesting prospect. I've read that he's good friends with Yelich and that they train together in the off-season. They're built similarly - kind of tall and rangy (both are 6' 3"). I mention it only because Yelich didn't show a ton of power during his stint in the minors and didn't really tap into it until last year when he bested his previous season HR total by 18. Seems like power is sometimes the last part hitters develop maybe because they're more focused on pitch recognition and contact early in their careers. I'm in no way suggesting that Rutherford is ever going to hit 30 HRs in a season or even that he's a guarantee to make it. Just that his lack of power thus far doesn't concern me too much.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Just that his lack of power thus far doesn't concern me too much.
I agree with this 100%.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:17 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
He's kind of an interesting prospect. I've read that he's good friends with Yelich and that they train together in the off-season. They're built similarly - kind of tall and rangy (both are 6' 3"). I mention it only because Yelich didn't show a ton of power during his stint in the minors and didn't really tap into it until last year when he bested his previous season HR total by 18. Seems like power is sometimes the last part hitters develop maybe because they're more focused on pitch recognition and contact early in their careers. I'm in no way suggesting that Rutherford is ever going to hit 30 HRs in a season or even that he's a guarantee to make it. Just that his lack of power thus far doesn't concern me too much.
Rutherford and Yelich are family friends and I think grew up in the same town. https://www.mlb.com/news/blake-ruthe...ond-c297159502

Definitely way to early to give up on Rutherford developing his power, though it would be nice to see some evidence of it happening. He's overtaken Adolfo in my book as the most likely non-Robert OF to emerge as a starter. It sure would be nice to have B. Ruth. patrolling RF in Chicago!
Old 06-25-2019, 05:59 PM

Charlotte lost 5-1

Palka 0/4
Zavala (DH) 1/3 R
Mendick 0/2 BB
Mercedes (C) 2/4 hitting .333 with .833 OPS so far

Santiago started 5.0 IP 3 H 1 ER 1 BB 7 K
Thompson 2.0 IP 1 H 2 K - he's really coming on strong over his last 10 appearances he's given up 2 ER over 18.2 IP with 22 K

Viera got shelled in the 8th and took the loss
Closed Thread