Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2017, 02:22 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
It just isn't acceptable.

Look, the 2005 White Sox don't deserve to be fawned over like they're the greatest team of all time. And I don't think that anybody here wants or would ever ask for that.
They are definitely ONE of the greatest teams of all time. Wire-to-wire...They never trailed their division for a day! They went ALMOST without a blemish in the playoffs. They had one of the most dominating pitching performances for a single series in MLB history with Garcia, Buehrle, Garland, and Contreras. They got timely hitting almost all of the time. It's hard to compare teams of different eras. But, they have to be in that conversation.

Next Game: 12/17 vs. Minnesota Wild
Old 10-28-2017, 11:06 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
They are definitely ONE of the greatest teams of all time. Wire-to-wire...They never trailed their division for a day! They went ALMOST without a blemish in the playoffs. They had one of the most dominating pitching performances for a single series in MLB history with Garcia, Buehrle, Garland, and Contreras. They got timely hitting almost all of the time. It's hard to compare teams of different eras. But, they have to be in that conversation.
I know that. The point I was trying to make was more along the lines of, it's ridiculous how overhyped teams like the Cubs and Red Sox get, and while I don't think any of us would want our team to get that level of obnoxious treatment, the reality is that the 05 Sox are every bit as deserving of it--if not more--than either of those teams.

And it's crazy that, because it's the Sox, ESPN would rather pretend they never happened so it doesn't ruin the storyline they want to push for teams they happen to like better. The Sox should be celebrated for what they did, not diminished to make the 04 Red Sox, 16 Cubs, or until last night, 17 Dodgers seem more exciting.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:33 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
I remember after the won the ALCS, Lou Pinella was in the booth doing color commentary. They asked home about the Sox starting pitching performances in that series and if he'd ever seen anything like it. He response......"No". Enough said. What a great response.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:22 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
I know that. The point I was trying to make was more along the lines of, it's ridiculous how overhyped teams like the Cubs and Red Sox get, and while I don't think any of us would want our team to get that level of obnoxious treatment, the reality is that the 05 Sox are every bit as deserving of it--if not more--than either of those teams.
They are definitely more deserving. They deserve the "obnoxious" treatment not because of who they are but what they did. Only one other team has gone 11/1 and the other team didnt go wire to wire. Only one other team has gone wire to wire and swept the world series, the 27 yanks. There is absolutely no logical reason not to treat the 05 Sox team as one of the best.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
They simply consider the Midwest "fly-over" country on their way to the West Coast.
Imagine, say, a Kansas City vs. Colorado Rockies World Series...
Old 10-29-2017, 06:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Not to beat an almost dead horse of a thread, but ESPN's latest **** on the 2005 White Sox reminds me of this post I made in my WSI blog NO!!MARY!!! back in November, 2009 right after the Yankees won that year's World Series.

PLEASE NOTE: The blog says the latest edit was two days ago. That is because I tried to copy-paste from my phone and couldn't do it. So I clicked "save changes" and it saved as if I had made an edit. I swear this is what I wrote back in 2009:

Posted 11-5-2009

Some headlines and stuff we might see in the aftermath of the World Series:

I edited out some irrelevant stuff making fun of Rick Telander's petulant whining

Headline in the New York We are the World:

Yankees win 27th championship
Third AL team this decade to win Series; Angels, Red Sox are others

Matsui MVP; second Japanese-born player to win ring after Daisuke Matsusaka

ESPN.com Story:

Yankees buy title; Evil Empire wins out over Rebel Alliance Red Sox

Scrappy little band of Underdog Rebel Red Sox still only team to sweep Series in decade, doing it twice

World Series winners since 2000:

2000 New York Yankees
2001 Arizona Diamondbacks
2002 Anaheim Angels
2003 Florida Marlins
2004 Boston Red Sox
2006 St. Louis Cardinals
2007 Boston Red Sox
2008 Philadelphia Phillies
2009 New York Yankees

Correction: ESPN.com has heard from indignant, lowlife White Sox fans (all four of them *sneer*) who bitched and complained that we didn't mention their lowlife scum team sweeping the Cardinals in 2005, nor did we list them in the holy scroll of champions. *yeesh* Grow up, people. So we forgot that there was a year between 2004 and 2006, OK?? Or maybe we figured that since they fixed the World Series as recently as 90 years ago, they aren't worthy to mention in the same breath as our scrappy underdog Red Sox, OK? Sue us already.

Correction II: We heard from those damn lowlife White Sox fans again. This time they are pissed (when aren't they) because we identified the Cardinals as the team they "swept" in 2005. OK, we were wrong again. Can you blame us? We can't be bothered to look these things up. So to correct ourselves, the *pee-yew* White Sox "swept" the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2005. There! Happy?

There was something at the end that I am also cutting from this post.

Last edited by TommyJohn; 10-29-2017 at 06:36 PM.