And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2017, 12:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
The trend is a bad front office, not that there is something magical about NL hitters not performing on the White Sox.
Who said anything about "magical?" or curses or anything like that?

Simply pointing out that when you misfire three times in a row (Dunn, LaRoche, Frazier) there is a problem somewhere.

Before the Sox take another dive into getting a N.L. "slugger" me thinks they'd want to identify the problem and see if it is something that can be fixed first to increase the chances of success in the future.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:41 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Simply pointing out that when you misfire three times in a row (Dunn, LaRoche, Frazier) there is a problem somewhere.
I agree on the misfiring and remember the same people that misfired are the same ones behind this massive rebuild.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:55 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I agree on the misfiring and remember the same people that misfired are the same ones behind this massive rebuild.
As many (including me) have stated before, we all understand this point and in a perfect world the baseball side of the front office would be out the door. But that's not how JR works, this was the best that could be done (rebuild) under the circumstances.

Now all you can do unless something drastically changes, is cross your fingers and hope for the best in 2020.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Hosmer? God forbid the Sox spend money this coming year , that would put this glorious rebuild in a tail spin.
Actually, yes. It would be completely counterintuitive.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-18-2017, 02:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Actually, yes. It would be completely counterintuitive.
I didn't say we should sign Hosmer...i said I'd rather have Hosmer than Harper. As I said he is going to sign with the yanks most likely anyway.

But If i wanted to make an argument for signing him (I really don't want to).

You could sign him without derailing a rebuild. He is young enough to be productive when we should be good. He fills a need we have, and makes us have a better infield, and is able to run. Plus you could then trade him for prospects if you wanted. In fact, I suspect we will sign some modest veterans that we hope to flip next year at the deadline, especially in the bullpen.

Also, I"m not sure I agree with some of the previous posters declaring 3b is a glaring void in the system. Davidson is more than adequate & Berger is good prospect. I believe Catcher is our biggest position need. Collin's defense abilities are a work in progress and it is suggested he might wind up at DH or 1b.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:41 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post

You could sign him without derailing a rebuild. He is young enough to be productive when we should be good. He fills a need we have, and makes us have a better infield, and is able to run.
Sure why not and then since Abreu is compared to Harper here, he should get a huge haul in a trade. Huge plus by getting Hosmer but it will never happen because Borass is his agent and this organization doesnt deal with his clients.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
I didn't say we should sign Hosmer...i said I'd rather have Hosmer than Harper. As I said he is going to sign with the yanks most likely anyway.

But If i wanted to make an argument for signing him (I really don't want to).

You could sign him without derailing a rebuild. He is young enough to be productive when we should be good. He fills a need we have, and makes us have a better infield, and is able to run. Plus you could then trade him for prospects if you wanted. In fact, I suspect we will sign some modest veterans that we hope to flip next year at the deadline, especially in the bullpen.

Also, I"m not sure I agree with some of the previous posters declaring 3b is a glaring void in the system. Davidson is more than adequate & Berger is good prospect. I believe Catcher is our biggest position need. Collin's defense abilities are a work in progress and it is suggested he might wind up at DH or 1b.
Davidson is more than adequate? You're watching a different player than I am. Davidson struck out 165 times this season and drew only 19 walks. I'm sorry, but a .220/.260/.452 slash doesn't cut it for me, especially for a player who provides no utility defensively or on the basepaths. Yes, 26 home runs. That's nice. But 2017 was a season that saw baseballs fly out of parks at historic rates. Hitting 26 home runs isn't particularly special anymore, because there's about 30 guys in each league who did that. And Davidson provides literally nothing else. Maybe he's a bridge guy at 3B; that's fine, but he's not going to be here the next time the Sox contend.

Burger? Way too early to pencil him into any long-term plans, and I'm not overly enthused with the early returns.

Honestly, I don't think I'd be bothered if the Sox cut ties with Davidson. Yolmer Sanchez outplayed him by a wide, wide margin and got most of the starts at 3B late in the year. And rightfully so, I might add.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Last edited by JB98; 10-18-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Bryce Harper put up a 9.9 WAR season. He had a BAD year the following year at 1.6, and had a strong year this year bouncing back to 4.7 WAR in only 111 games.

The real problem is he hasn't proven he can stay healthy enough to maximize his talent, but its laughable to think he isn't a superstar talent.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Davidson is more than adequate? You're watching a different player than I am. Davidson struck out 165 times this season and drew only 19 walks. I'm sorry, but a .220/.260/.452 slash doesn't cut it for me, especially for a player who provides no utility defensively or on the basepaths. Yes, 26 home runs. That's nice. But 2017 was a season that saw baseballs fly out of parks at historic rates. Hitting 26 home runs isn't particularly special anymore, because there's about 30 guys in each league who did that. And Davidson provides literally nothing else. Maybe he's a bridge guy at 3B; that's fine, but he's not going to be here the next time the Sox contend.
Yes, yes, yes! Matt Davidson is a below replacement level player. He is not good.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Bryce Harper put up a 9.9 WAR season. He had a BAD year the following year at 1.6, and had a strong year this year bouncing back to 4.7 WAR in only 111 games.

The real problem is he hasn't proven he can stay healthy enough to maximize his talent, but its laughable to think he isn't a superstar talent.
Seriously. I don't think he's the best or second best or Top 5 best player in baseball, but some of the stuff I'm reading here lately is pretty silly.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:53 PM
WSI Prelate

The Sox may not have any "lock" prospects at third base or catcher, but they do have prospects in depth. For now, the Smith/Narvaez platoon and Yolmer Sanchez are fine stopgaps, until its either time to give promising prospects with more upside an opportunity, and/or lock in a star free agent.

A superstar OF would be nice, but not if it hamstrings our ability to lock up our own emerging prospects as they matriculate into major league contributors.

We'll have a better idea of where we stand after the 2018 season.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Comparing Bryce Harper coming off his age 26 season to any failures we have had in free agency is really dumb.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Pitching is a more obvious need for this team than hitting. If the Sox are going to break the bank ahead of the 2019 or 2020 seasons, I would prefer it is for an elite starting pitcher.

As for Bryce Harper, he is a spectacularly good player whose early development has been hampered by immaturity. As an old man of 26, with his days of refusing to throw to the cutoff man and thinking he can be Vlad Guerrero on low pitches behind him, he will put up HoF numbers for somebody. I suspect whoever pays him the most. Rumors say that he wants to go to the Yankees because he grew up idolizing Mantle, or to the Dodgers because they're close to his family, or to the Cubs because he is BFFs with Kris Bryant...and one of these is likely going to be the high bidder, sure, but he'd go elsewhere for the right price.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-18-2017, 06:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post

When the numbers catch up to the hype then we'll talk.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-18-2017, 08:32 PM
WSI Personality

I wouldn't want to tie up all the payroll in one guy.