White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 10-18-2017, 01:01 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Hosmer? God forbid the Sox spend money this coming year , that would put this glorious rebuild in a tail spin.
Actually, yes. It would be completely counterintuitive.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-18-2017, 01:28 PM
Zisk77 Zisk77 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edwardsville Il
Posts: 1,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Actually, yes. It would be completely counterintuitive.
I didn't say we should sign Hosmer...i said I'd rather have Hosmer than Harper. As I said he is going to sign with the yanks most likely anyway.

But If i wanted to make an argument for signing him (I really don't want to).

You could sign him without derailing a rebuild. He is young enough to be productive when we should be good. He fills a need we have, and makes us have a better infield, and is able to run. Plus you could then trade him for prospects if you wanted. In fact, I suspect we will sign some modest veterans that we hope to flip next year at the deadline, especially in the bullpen.

Also, I"m not sure I agree with some of the previous posters declaring 3b is a glaring void in the system. Davidson is more than adequate & Berger is good prospect. I believe Catcher is our biggest position need. Collin's defense abilities are a work in progress and it is suggested he might wind up at DH or 1b.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 10,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post

You could sign him without derailing a rebuild. He is young enough to be productive when we should be good. He fills a need we have, and makes us have a better infield, and is able to run.
Sure why not and then since Abreu is compared to Harper here, he should get a huge haul in a trade. Huge plus by getting Hosmer but it will never happen because Borass is his agent and this organization doesnt deal with his clients.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-18-2017, 02:46 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 30,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
I didn't say we should sign Hosmer...i said I'd rather have Hosmer than Harper. As I said he is going to sign with the yanks most likely anyway.

But If i wanted to make an argument for signing him (I really don't want to).

You could sign him without derailing a rebuild. He is young enough to be productive when we should be good. He fills a need we have, and makes us have a better infield, and is able to run. Plus you could then trade him for prospects if you wanted. In fact, I suspect we will sign some modest veterans that we hope to flip next year at the deadline, especially in the bullpen.

Also, I"m not sure I agree with some of the previous posters declaring 3b is a glaring void in the system. Davidson is more than adequate & Berger is good prospect. I believe Catcher is our biggest position need. Collin's defense abilities are a work in progress and it is suggested he might wind up at DH or 1b.
Davidson is more than adequate? You're watching a different player than I am. Davidson struck out 165 times this season and drew only 19 walks. I'm sorry, but a .220/.260/.452 slash doesn't cut it for me, especially for a player who provides no utility defensively or on the basepaths. Yes, 26 home runs. That's nice. But 2017 was a season that saw baseballs fly out of parks at historic rates. Hitting 26 home runs isn't particularly special anymore, because there's about 30 guys in each league who did that. And Davidson provides literally nothing else. Maybe he's a bridge guy at 3B; that's fine, but he's not going to be here the next time the Sox contend.

Burger? Way too early to pencil him into any long-term plans, and I'm not overly enthused with the early returns.

Honestly, I don't think I'd be bothered if the Sox cut ties with Davidson. Yolmer Sanchez outplayed him by a wide, wide margin and got most of the starts at 3B late in the year. And rightfully so, I might add.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 7-9; 2015: 10-10; 2016: 13-10; 2017: 8-5; 2018: 1-5; Total: 157-129.
Next game: June 23 vs. Oakland

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/


Last edited by JB98; 10-18-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-18-2017, 02:56 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,495
Default

Bryce Harper put up a 9.9 WAR season. He had a BAD year the following year at 1.6, and had a strong year this year bouncing back to 4.7 WAR in only 111 games.

The real problem is he hasn't proven he can stay healthy enough to maximize his talent, but its laughable to think he isn't a superstar talent.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-18-2017, 03:17 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Davidson is more than adequate? You're watching a different player than I am. Davidson struck out 165 times this season and drew only 19 walks. I'm sorry, but a .220/.260/.452 slash doesn't cut it for me, especially for a player who provides no utility defensively or on the basepaths. Yes, 26 home runs. That's nice. But 2017 was a season that saw baseballs fly out of parks at historic rates. Hitting 26 home runs isn't particularly special anymore, because there's about 30 guys in each league who did that. And Davidson provides literally nothing else. Maybe he's a bridge guy at 3B; that's fine, but he's not going to be here the next time the Sox contend.
Yes, yes, yes! Matt Davidson is a below replacement level player. He is not good.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-18-2017, 03:19 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Bryce Harper put up a 9.9 WAR season. He had a BAD year the following year at 1.6, and had a strong year this year bouncing back to 4.7 WAR in only 111 games.

The real problem is he hasn't proven he can stay healthy enough to maximize his talent, but its laughable to think he isn't a superstar talent.
Seriously. I don't think he's the best or second best or Top 5 best player in baseball, but some of the stuff I'm reading here lately is pretty silly.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-18-2017, 03:53 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 19,404
Blog Entries: 1
Default

The Sox may not have any "lock" prospects at third base or catcher, but they do have prospects in depth. For now, the Smith/Narvaez platoon and Yolmer Sanchez are fine stopgaps, until its either time to give promising prospects with more upside an opportunity, and/or lock in a star free agent.

A superstar OF would be nice, but not if it hamstrings our ability to lock up our own emerging prospects as they matriculate into major league contributors.

We'll have a better idea of where we stand after the 2018 season.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-18-2017, 05:27 PM
CoopaLoop CoopaLoop is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Des Plaines
Posts: 2,379
Default

Comparing Bryce Harper coming off his age 26 season to any failures we have had in free agency is really dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-18-2017, 05:34 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 6,486
Default

Pitching is a more obvious need for this team than hitting. If the Sox are going to break the bank ahead of the 2019 or 2020 seasons, I would prefer it is for an elite starting pitcher.

As for Bryce Harper, he is a spectacularly good player whose early development has been hampered by immaturity. As an old man of 26, with his days of refusing to throw to the cutoff man and thinking he can be Vlad Guerrero on low pitches behind him, he will put up HoF numbers for somebody. I suspect whoever pays him the most. Rumors say that he wants to go to the Yankees because he grew up idolizing Mantle, or to the Dodgers because they're close to his family, or to the Cubs because he is BFFs with Kris Bryant...and one of these is likely going to be the high bidder, sure, but he'd go elsewhere for the right price.
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 3,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Bryce Harper put up a 9.9 WAR season. He had a BAD year the following year at 1.6, and had a strong year this year bouncing back to 4.7 WAR in only 111 games.

The real problem is he hasn't proven he can stay healthy enough to maximize his talent, but its laughable to think he isn't a superstar talent.
When the numbers catch up to the hype then we'll talk.
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-18-2017, 07:32 PM
hdog1017 hdog1017 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 993
Default

I wouldn't want to tie up all the payroll in one guy.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-18-2017, 09:43 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
When the numbers catch up to the hype then we'll talk.
Ranking among active players based on career stats:

OBP: 6th
SLG: 11th
OPS: 8th
ADJ OPS+: 7th
AB per HR: 13th
ROY
MVP
5 ASGs

That's pretty good. His downside has been injury more than anything.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-18-2017, 10:22 PM
shes shes is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Ranking among active players based on career stats:

OBP: 6th
SLG: 11th
OPS: 8th
ADJ OPS+: 7th
AB per HR: 13th
ROY
MVP
5 ASGs

That's pretty good. His downside has been injury more than anything.
Seriously -- what more can you ask except that the guy stay on the field more often? He's been a stud and will be an elite player for the next decade.

Anyway, it'll cost 400M to get him, not 200M, so you can certainly count out the Sox, who have never even ponied up 70M for a single player.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-19-2017, 08:06 AM
Zisk77 Zisk77 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edwardsville Il
Posts: 1,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Davidson is more than adequate? You're watching a different player than I am. Davidson struck out 165 times this season and drew only 19 walks. I'm sorry, but a .220/.260/.452 slash doesn't cut it for me, especially for a player who provides no utility defensively or on the basepaths. Yes, 26 home runs. That's nice. But 2017 was a season that saw baseballs fly out of parks at historic rates. Hitting 26 home runs isn't particularly special anymore, because there's about 30 guys in each league who did that. And Davidson provides literally nothing else. Maybe he's a bridge guy at 3B; that's fine, but he's not going to be here the next time the Sox contend.

Burger? Way too early to pencil him into any long-term plans, and I'm not overly enthused with the early returns.

Honestly, I don't think I'd be bothered if the Sox cut ties with Davidson. Yolmer Sanchez outplayed him by a wide, wide margin and got most of the starts at 3B late in the year. And rightfully so, I might add.


This was Davidson's first year in the big leagues, we don't actually really know what he is yet. With experience he should walk more and strike out less. Yes he hit 26 homers, he also missed a lot of games with injury. I think its safe to say he would have hit well over 30 homers if healthy. We are so quick on this board to judge whether a young player is good or bad on the this board and dismiss him. See Avi, Crede, Garland, & Konerko on our sox and many others including Ortiz, Hunter, Hosmer, Moustakas, & Gordon on other teams. Davidson may very well be what you claim, or worse, but its way too early to tell and he is more than adequate for now. Was Sanchez's increased playing time solely because he outplayed Davidson or was it at least somewhat that Matt was hit in the wrist by a pitch?

Nobody, said burger was being penciled in. Its too early to pencil in pretty much anybody elloy, roberts, kopech, etc. That wasn't the issue. I was addressing that 3b is is a glaring void that must be filled...by some with Arrenado or Machado. I said Catcher was our great position player need. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.