And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2017, 02:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox59 View Post
I believe that regardless of the generation we grow up in we tend to wax nostalgic about the time of our youth and think the previous generation couldn't have had as much fun as we did. We think that those times were better I believe mainly because we had little to no responsibility other than homework. For a long time I thought that 1959 was going to be the only time I saw my favorite team play in the world series. I saw the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup in 1961 and listened to the Bears beat the Giants in the NFL championship game in 1963. They played the game in Chicago so we were blacked out from watching on TV. It was a different world. I was happy that all my teams had either won or played for the championship of their sport in my lifetime. I was 9 in 1959 so I wasn't yet into music other than Alvin & the Chipmunks "Christmas Song" that came out in 1958. WLS didn't change to a rock and roll format until 1960 and WCFL didn't follow suit until 1965 so I'm not sure what station teens listened to in the 1950's. In any case since I became aware of baseball in the 50's I worshiped the players that played for the White Sox and I'm saddened each time I hear that one of them has passed away. Jim Landis will always be my favorite centerfielder and hopefully he now gets to play again with Nellie, Billy, Sherm and all the rest of my heroes from a distant time that doesn't really feel so distant.
I'm 4 years older than you and started listening to Rock and Roll around 1955 on WJJD. Around 1958 Wally Phillips on WGN had a Rock and Roll hour around 8pm, that lasted until WLS became just about the most popular R and R station in the country. We also watched the Hit Parade on Saturday nights to see and hear the latest hits , my cousin and I would go nuts when ''Little Darlin'' was sung.
Getting back to the 59 Sox, regardless of how many more World Series the Sox might win in the coming years and including 2005 in the past, the 59 team will always be my favorite Sox team as well as the 61 Hawks and the 63 Bears. No one can ever replace Nellie, Looie and Billy, the sad thing about 59 was that Minnie was not part of the team as we traded him before the 58 season.There's just something different when the heroes of our youth winning Championships seems to be more important than when you are an adult (I did cry like a baby when we won it all in 2005).In those days with the transistor under my pillow I would be praying to God just about every night that he would help the Sox or Hawks win that game.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-17-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Allen View Post
Freddie and the Dreamers. That's hilarious. I didn't care for them either.

I'm pretty sure I have a couple of Freddie and the Dreamers 45's somewhere in my attic that a teenage babysitter gave me (I was 5). Including this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbUfYWJT_Y8

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I believe that regardless of the generation we grow up in we tend to wax nostalgic about the time of our youth and think the previous generation couldn't have had as much fun as we did. We think that those times were better I believe mainly because we had little to no responsibility other than homework. For a long time I thought that 1959 was going to be the only time I saw my favorite team play in the world series. I saw the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup in 1961 and listened to the Bears beat the Giants in the NFL championship game in 1963. They played the game in Chicago so we were blacked out from watching on TV. It was a different world. I was happy that all my teams had either won or played for the championship of their sport in my lifetime. I was 9 in 1959 so I wasn't yet into music other than Alvin & the Chipmunks "Christmas Song" that came out in 1958. WLS didn't change to a rock and roll format until 1960 and WCFL didn't follow suit until 1965 so I'm not sure what station teens listened to in the 1950's. In any case since I became aware of baseball in the 50's I worshiped the players that played for the White Sox and I'm saddened each time I hear that one of them has passed away. Jim Landis will always be my favorite centerfielder and hopefully he now gets to play again with Nellie, Billy, Sherm and all the rest of my heroes from a distant time that doesn't really feel so distant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I really enjoyed this post. It brought back a lot of memories. Before WLS became the monster rock n roll station with a signal that virtually spanning the nation, WJJD 1160 AM played a top 40 format. A major problem was that WJJD was only on the air from 4AM until dusk. Jim Lounsbury was one of their more prominent DJs. IIRC correctly WIND also played some pop music in that era. When WCFL switched to a pop format they had a great rivalry with WLS. It was an era of live wire DJs. I answered a quiz question on Barney Pip's show and won a Freddie and the Dreamers album. Not my cup of tea so I gave it to a friend at his birthday party. He seemed happy enough with it. Anyway it's great to wax nostalgic while still living in the present. It's useless to compare eras, you only make people angry with you. I did then and still do now hold the guys on the 59 Sox team in the highest esteem. Jim Landis was a prime example of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I'm 4 years older than you and started listening to Rock and Roll around 1955 on WJJD. Around 1958 Wally Phillips on WGN had a Rock and Roll hour around 8pm, that lasted until WLS became just about the most popular R and R station in the country. We also watched the Hit Parade on Saturday nights to see and hear the latest hits , my cousin and I would go nuts when ''Little Darlin'' was sung.
Getting back to the 59 Sox, regardless of how many more World Series the Sox might win in the coming years and including 2005 in the past, the 59 team will always be my favorite Sox team as well as the 61 Hawks and the 63 Bears. No one can ever replace Nellie, Looie and Billy, the sad thing about 59 was that Minnie was not part of the team as we traded him before the 58 season.There's just something different when the heroes of our youth winning Championships seems to be more important than when you are an adult (I did cry like a baby when we won it all in 2005).In those days with the transistor under my pillow I would be praying to God just about every night that he would help the Sox or Hawks win that game.
I'm a sucker for these references and wanted to provide images to go along with them. Here's WIND from October of 1957, WJJD from January of 1957, and WLS from 1960:

Old 10-18-2017, 12:08 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
I'm a sucker for these references and wanted to provide images to go along with them. Here's WIND from October of 1957, WJJD from January of 1957, and WLS from 1960:

Unless Im mistaken the WIND one shows two baseball announcers....Milo Hamilton who once was teamed with Bob Elson and Jack Quintana who was the Cubs radio voice.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:11 AM
WSI Regular

That was supposed to say Jack Quinlan. My iPad tried to correct the spelling and decided it should be Quintana.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Unless Im mistaken the WIND one shows two baseball announcers....Milo Hamilton who once was teamed with Bob Elson and Jack Quintana who was the Cubs radio voice.
Quote:
That was supposed to say Jack Quinlan. My iPad tried to correct the spelling and decided it should be Quintana.
Right you are! WIND carried the Cubs for a few years in the '50s and Quinlan did play-by-play. Milo Hamilton did the White Sox with Bob Elson in the '60s on WCFL before he moved on to the Braves and later called Henry Aaron's 715th homer.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:13 AM
WSI Guru

Milo talked to me about his DJ days:

WIND was doing the Cubs games at that time but then WGN got the contract and Jack Quinlen joined Jack Brickhouse in the booth. Lou Boudreau was hired as the analyst which I felt was a very good move. I had a wife and two small children so I spun records and did the news for the Howard Miller show among other things. In fact I had the #1 rated music show in Chicago but then new management came in and they wanted to change the format so I was out of work.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:28 PM
WSI Regular

While all you guys were listening to WIND and WJJD, I had discovered R&B on the black radio stations around 1954. I used to listen at night to Jam with Sam, a black DJ named Sam Evans, followed by a show sponsored by Eugene and Delmore Adams. Early on I had discovered Ray Charles, B.B. King, Little Richard, Muddy Waters, Johnny Ace, Fats Domino, the Flamingos, the Moonglows, and many more artists that got no air time on the white radio stations. I am white and so had a hard time even buying the records that I wanted. I finally found a black record store that was just off Vincennes and about 79th st. The guy that ran the record store couldn't believe that this white guy was coming in and buying these records by black artists.

As far as the nostalgia feeling about things from the past, I think that things that happened to you when you are in your twenties always seem like the best time of your life. The fifties for me were the best because the whole ten years building up to the Sox finally winning the pennant in 1959 were the culmination of the dreams of a rabid Sox fan. Like others have said, that is still my favorite team of all these years. I was 23 years old in 1959 and I will never forget the joy that I felt when they won that pennant.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:35 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMinoso View Post
As far as the nostalgia feeling about things from the past, I think that things that happened to you when you are in your twenties always seem like the best time of your life. The fifties for me were the best because the whole ten years building up to the Sox finally winning the pennant in 1959 were the culmination of the dreams of a rabid Sox fan. Like others have said, that is still my favorite team of all these years. I was 23 years old in 1959 and I will never forget the joy that I felt when they won that pennant.
The early 50s are rarely talked about here probably because you are the only poster that remembers it. My mothers cousin who is still with us has spoken to me about those times and it did intrigue me. Id love to hear more about the early 50's if you ever have the time.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
The early 50s are rarely talked about here probably because you are the only poster that remembers it. My mothers cousin who is still with us has spoken to me about those times and it did intrigue me. Id love to hear more about the early 50's if you ever have the time.
Minnie is probably the only guy that I know about older than me at WSI, so I'd like to offer some memories.
I started following the Sox in 1952. Paul Richards was the manager. Nellie Fox was from the start my favorite player. I joined the Cub Scouts in 53 and played second base on the Scout team with a Wilson Nellie Fox glove. Went to my first game on a Cub Scout outing on July 15, 1955, we beat the old Washington Senators 5-4, that team became the Minnesota Twins in 1961.
I remember the 1954 season very well as we went 94-60 (same as 59) yet we finished in 3rd place 17 games behind the pennant winning Indians, what a bumber. I also remembered feeling depressed when in September of 54 Paul Richards was leaving the Sox to manage the Orioles, Marty Marion was the new manager and had 2 successful seasons before being replaced by the best Sox manager of all time, Al Lopez.
I remember before the 1956 season all the hoopla as we were giving the shortstop job to an exciting new rookie by the name of Luis Aparicio replacing Chico Carrasquel who was a fan favorite, Little Looie won the Rookie of the Year honors and of course is a member of the HOF along with Nellie.
Jumping ahead a few years there was even more hoopla before the 59 season with another rookie, Johnny Callison who was predicted to become a Superstar. Didn't do too well and Veeck traded him to the Phillies where he became a star and a very solid ballplayer but never a Superstar. He was considered such a can't miss that WGN TV in the winter of 58-59 had a special show on him touting his talents.

There was one another very depressing time when after the 57 season the Sox traded away the beloved Minnie Minoso to the Indians. A couple of my friends were so upset that they became Cub fans and still are. Had a quite a few spats with them and called them traitors many times.

Can't leave out Bob Elson and Jack Brickhouse who were the broadcasters that brought all the great baseball into a young boys life, both of them are in the HOF.

Those years and up until 1968 spoiled me as I never saw the Sox have a losing season until I was 22 years old. Every time I see bonehead baseball from the guys playing the game today I cringe and think back to the 50s and 60s and what a fundamentally sound brand of Baseball the Sox played in those years. Don't get me wrong, modern day players are really great athletes but the game they play has Al Lopez rolling in his grave.

I could go on and on but I think I've said enough except I do have to say; It was those Damn Yankees.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-18-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:52 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
He was considered such a can't miss that WGN TV in the winter of 58-59 had a special show on him touting his talents.
It was a 15 minute special called "The Life of a Sox Rookie" narrated by Jack Brickhouse. I've got a copy of it.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Dick Biondi when I was a teen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWRj_IXRleY
Old 10-18-2017, 04:06 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Minnie is probably the only guy that I know about older than me at WSI, so I'd like to offer some memories.
I started following the Sox in 1952. Paul Richards was the manager. Nellie Fox was from the start my favorite player. I joined the Cub Scouts in 53 and played second base on the Scout team with a Wilson Nellie Fox glove. Went to my first game on a Cub Scout outing on July 15, 1955, we beat the old Washington Senators 5-4, that team became the Minnesota Twins in 1961.
I remember the 1954 season very well as we went 94-60 (same as 59) yet we finished in 3rd place 17 games behind the pennant winning Indians, what a bumber. I also remembered feeling depressed when in September of 54 Paul Richards was leaving the Sox to manage the Orioles, Marty Marion was the new manager and had 2 successful seasons before being replaced by the best Sox manager of all time, Al Lopez.
I remember before the 1956 season all the hoopla as we were giving the shortstop job to an exciting new rookie by the name of Luis Aparicio replacing Chico Carrasquel who was a fan favorite, Little Looie won the Rookie of the Year honors and of course is a member of the HOF along with Nellie.
Jumping ahead a few years there was even more hoopla before the 59 season with another rookie, Johnny Callison who was predicted to become a Superstar. Didn't do too well and Veeck traded him to the Phillies where he became a star and a very solid ballplayer but never a Superstar. He was considered such a can't miss that WGN TV in the winter of 58-59 had a special show on him touting his talents.

There was one another very depressing time when after the 57 season the Sox traded away the beloved Minnie Minoso to the Indians. A couple of my friends were so upset that they became Cub fans and still are. Had a quite a few spats with them and called them traitors many times.

Can't leave out Bob Elson and Jack Brickhouse who were the broadcasters that brought all the great baseball into a young boys life, both of them are in the HOF.

Those years and up until 1968 spoiled me as I never saw the Sox have a losing season until I was 22 years old. Every time I see bonehead baseball from the guys playing the game today I cringe and think back to the 50s and 60s and what a fundamentally sound brand of Baseball the Sox played in those years. Don't get me wrong, modern day players are really great athletes but the game they play has Al Lopez rolling in his grave.

I could go on and on but I think I've said enough except I do have to say; It was those Damn Yankees.
Not enough is spoken about the early 50's, it was the time when the Sox finally became good after decades of being a door mat. I remember me complaining about those damn yanks to my dad in my childhood and he used to tell me how awful the Sox were in his. He told me to be thankful for what I have.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Not enough is spoken about the early 50's, it was the time when the Sox finally became good after decades of being a door mat. I remember me complaining about those damn yanks to my dad in my childhood and he used to tell me how awful the Sox were in his. He told me to be thankful for what I have.
Yes, the Sox were a door mat (did have some decent teams when Dykes was manager) in the 30+ years following the Black Sox scandal, one has to wonder what kind of team the Sox would have had if not for the scandal. They weren't a dynasty but did win 2 WS and threw a third in their first 19 years as a charter member of the AL. They also won the AL pennant in 1901 but there was no WS until 1903. If I'm not mistaken they led the AL in attendance most of those years.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-19-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:14 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Yes, the Sox were a door mat (did have some decent teams when Dykes was manager) in the 30+ years following the Black Sox scandal, one has to wonder what kind of team the Sox would have had if not for the scandal. They weren't a dynasty but did win 2 WS and threw a third in their first 19 years as a charter member of the AL. If I'm not mistaken they led the AL in attendance most of those years.
Rich Lindberg has often postulated that if not for the Black Sox scandal the Yankee Dynasty never happens because the owners have no reason to get away from the "Dead Ball" style of baseball and the Sox certainly would have had the talent to play with them even after getting babe Ruth.