Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2017, 09:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

In 1964 he took up residence in the famed Al Lopez doghouse. He was gone from the team after that season.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:00 AM
WSI Regular

Another one of my boyhood heroes and a member of the 1959 pennant winner. I haven't looked at a list but it seems like only Rivera, Aparicio and Esposito are still with us. Jim was a heck of a defender and hit well enough to hold down a permanent job. RIP James Henry....thanks for your contribution to my memories.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:46 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox59 View Post
Another one of my boyhood heroes and a member of the 1959 pennant winner. I haven't looked at a list but it seems like only Rivera, Aparicio and Esposito are still with us. Jim was a heck of a defender and hit well enough to hold down a permanent job. RIP James Henry....thanks for your contribution to my memories.
Gary Peters and J.C. Martin are still with us. They were September call up's that year.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:47 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
In 1964 he took up residence in the famed Al Lopez doghouse. He was gone from the team after that season.
Jim explains in my interview with him what happened and what caused it...and he didn't blame Lopez for it.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Jim explains in my interview with him what happened and what caused it...and he didn't blame Lopez for it.
That's a nice piece Lip.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-11-2017, 12:17 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Gary Peters and J.C. Martin are still with us. They were September call up's that year.
It looks like Johnny Romano is still around as well.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:30 PM
WSI Guru

To the best of my knowledge this list is accurate of the surviving members of the 1959 White Sox:

Jim Rivera is 96, and the oldest living member.
Luis Aparicio
Johnny Romano
Sammy Esposito
Lou Skizas
Joe Hicks
JC Martin
Barry Latman
Ken McBride
Rudy Arias
Joe Stanka
Gary Peters
Claude Raymond
Old 10-11-2017, 12:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Best defensive cf in Sox history.
RIP Jim
Old 10-11-2017, 04:59 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge this list is accurate of the surviving members of the 1959 White Sox:

Jim Rivera is 96, and the oldest living member.
Luis Aparicio
Johnny Romano
Sammy Esposito
Lou Skizas
Joe Hicks
JC Martin
Barry Latman
Ken McBride
Rudy Arias
Joe Stanka
Gary Peters
Claude Raymond
Thanks Mark. I was going through the mainstays in my mind and totally forgot about Latman and McBride. Hopefully our current prospects will have better careers than those two prospects of 50+ years ago. As they say prospects are prospects until they prove themselves.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:50 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Thanks Mark. I was going through the mainstays in my mind and totally forgot about Latman and McBride. Hopefully our current prospects will have better careers than those two prospects of 50+ years ago. As they say prospects are prospects until they prove themselves.
Well it should be worth noting that both Latman and McBride made the A.L. All Star teams at a time when that mattered because it wasn't watered down or based on fan popularity.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

When one is young, 1959 seems like unfathomable ancient history. It seemed so long ago to me, I couldn't even comprehend it, and just assumed that people of 1959 were so simple and archaic, basically from another world that had none of present day sophistication.

Then I grew up to realize 1959 was a blip before generation X, and we are very much connected to that time period like the swift turn of a page. So it's sad to see that team slowly fade away, but hopefully the memories remain strong.

It must have been cloud 9 to have rock and roll's heyday playing on the FM dial, a much nicer looking Chicago, and the Sox atop the AL. I'd venture to say that summer was funner than 05, but can only imagine.

RIP to all '59 Sox who have passed on, after electrifying this city during a golden time period. As a youth learning about that squad, it seemed like the Stone Age, but in reality, it was basically yesterday.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

I hope there is a patch or something to remember Landis by in 2018.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:21 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
When one is young, 1959 seems like unfathomable ancient history. It seemed so long ago to me, I couldn't even comprehend it, and just assumed that people of 1959 were so simple and archaic, basically from another world that had none of present day sophistication.

Then I grew up to realize 1959 was a blip before generation X, and we are very much connected to that time period like the swift turn of a page. So it's sad to see that team slowly fade away, but hopefully the memories remain strong.

It must have been cloud 9 to have rock and roll's heyday playing on the FM dial, a much nicer looking Chicago, and the Sox atop the AL. I'd venture to say that summer was funner than 05, but can only imagine.

RIP to all '59 Sox who have passed on, after electrifying this city during a golden time period. As a youth learning about that squad, it seemed like the Stone Age, but in reality, it was basically yesterday.
I believe that regardless of the generation we grow up in we tend to wax nostalgic about the time of our youth and think the previous generation couldn't have had as much fun as we did. We think that those times were better I believe mainly because we had little to no responsibility other than homework. For a long time I thought that 1959 was going to be the only time I saw my favorite team play in the world series. I saw the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup in 1961 and listened to the Bears beat the Giants in the NFL championship game in 1963. They played the game in Chicago so we were blacked out from watching on TV. It was a different world. I was happy that all my teams had either won or played for the championship of their sport in my lifetime. I was 9 in 1959 so I wasn't yet into music other than Alvin & the Chipmunks "Christmas Song" that came out in 1958. WLS didn't change to a rock and roll format until 1960 and WCFL didn't follow suit until 1965 so I'm not sure what station teens listened to in the 1950's. In any case since I became aware of baseball in the 50's I worshiped the players that played for the White Sox and I'm saddened each time I hear that one of them has passed away. Jim Landis will always be my favorite centerfielder and hopefully he now gets to play again with Nellie, Billy, Sherm and all the rest of my heroes from a distant time that doesn't really feel so distant.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I believe that regardless of the generation we grow up in we tend to wax nostalgic about the time of our youth and think the previous generation couldn't have had as much fun as we did. We think that those times were better I believe mainly because we had little to no responsibility other than homework. For a long time I thought that 1959 was going to be the only time I saw my favorite team play in the world series. I saw the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup in 1961 and listened to the Bears beat the Giants in the NFL championship game in 1963. They played the game in Chicago so we were blacked out from watching on TV. It was a different world. I was happy that all my teams had either won or played for the championship of their sport in my lifetime. I was 9 in 1959 so I wasn't yet into music other than Alvin & the Chipmunks "Christmas Song" that came out in 1958. WLS didn't change to a rock and roll format until 1960 and WCFL didn't follow suit until 1965 so I'm not sure what station teens listened to in the 1950's. In any case since I became aware of baseball in the 50's I worshiped the players that played for the White Sox and I'm saddened each time I hear that one of them has passed away. Jim Landis will always be my favorite centerfielder and hopefully he now gets to play again with Nellie, Billy, Sherm and all the rest of my heroes from a distant time that doesn't really feel so distant.
I really enjoyed this post. It brought back a lot of memories. Before WLS became the monster rock n roll station with a signal that virtually spanning the nation, WJJD 1160 AM played a top 40 format. A major problem was that WJJD was only on the air from 4AM until dusk. Jim Lounsbury was one of their more prominent DJs. IIRC correctly WIND also played some pop music in that era. When WCFL switched to a pop format they had a great rivalry with WLS. It was an era of live wire DJs. I answered a quiz question on Barney Pip's show and won a Freddie and the Dreamers album. Not my cup of tea so I gave it to a friend at his birthday party. He seemed happy enough with it. Anyway it's great to wax nostalgic while still living in the present. It's useless to compare eras, you only make people angry with you. I did then and still do now hold the guys on the 59 Sox team in the highest esteem. Jim Landis was a prime example of this.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I really enjoyed this post. It brought back a lot of memories. Before WLS became the monster rock n roll station with a signal that virtually spanning the nation, WJJD 1160 AM played a top 40 format. A major problem was that WJJD was only on the air from 4AM until dusk. Jim Lounsbury was one of their more prominent DJs. IIRC correctly WIND also played some pop music in that era. When WCFL switched to a pop format they had a great rivalry with WLS. It was an era of live wire DJs. I answered a quiz question on Barney Pip's show and won a Freddie and the Dreamers album. Not my cup of tea so I gave it to a friend at his birthday party. He seemed happy enough with it. Anyway it's great to wax nostalgic while still living in the present. It's useless to compare eras, you only make people angry with you. I did then and still do now hold the guys on the 59 Sox team in the highest esteem. Jim Landis was a prime example of this.
Freddie and the Dreamers. That's hilarious. I didn't care for them either.