And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2017, 11:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
I like your thinking, but Jerry & Co. would have to jump on this right now. Jackhammers and cranes are everywhere, making the ground shake. That area is completely different from even 18 months ago.
I don't think Jerry has enough energy left to make that happen. New ownership or a transfer of power is needed.

If the Braves can make it happen by moving from Turner Field, I think the SOX could do the same thing if they secure a ballpark sponsorship.

Hopefully, when it does happen, they will have learned the right way to build an urban ballpark, and that starts with NOT building a ballpark designed for the suburbs in an urban location.

I would love to see them build a street-level ballpark like Cleveland where the actual playing field is below ground level.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Tomorrows Sunday Chicago Tribune has a rather interesting article about a potential new sports stadium in Chicago. The City of Chicago wants to include a new World Class and entertainment stadium in their proposal to Amazon. Its part of the proposal in trying to get Amazon to move its headquarters to Chicago. The stadium would border the Chicago river between Lincoln Park and Bucktown. If this stadium is actually going to get built the main tenant is either going to be the White Sox or Bears, or maybe both of them. I hope if the offer is made to the White Sox about this stadium, I hope JR doesn't blow this opportunity like he did the last time in the 1980s when he rejected a new stadium offer in the South Loop.
The Finkl site is a traffic hornets nest.

To the west, there's the highway, Ashland, Elston and the river as natural barriers to major throughways needed for a stadium project, and the only east-west street, Cortland is not big enough a street to handle all that traffic. They'd need to rebuild the whole grid for it to work.

They were thinking of building the DePaul stadium there, and the traffic issues were part of the reason they switched to McCormick place.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:29 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I don't think there's that much land left in the South Loop where they could build a stadium, is there?

Having said that, I think right across the street where Old Comiskey was would be a good site. Maybe they could even make the new park more like Old Comiskey and less like Dodger Stadium.
I'm not from Chicago but like this idea. A modernized "old comiskey" would be, in my mind, an interesting choice. Then, would it be possible to put pre and post game attractions within the present stadium footprint?

Last edited by nsolo; 11-11-2017 at 09:32 AM. Reason: sentence structure