Old 11-15-2017, 02:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Outstanding catch in the 59 WS.
RIP
Old 11-15-2017, 03:25 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofitz View Post
RIP. Jungle Jim. I will not forget the '59 team and what it accomplished. Their radio network reached into South Florida that year and I listened to many games.
The Sox radio network in the 50's / early 60's was around 100 stations. One of the largest in baseball, all across the Midwest and into the South in places like Jackson, Mississippi, Atlanta and of course the state of Florida.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:15 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Did'ya know that Jim McAnany played more games in RF than Rivera in 1959? Jim did play quite a few in LF, though.
Thanks I didn't realize that. I hadn't looked at the stats I just tried to go from memory. I know McAnany had a heck of a rookie year and it's too bad it didn't continue. I'm sure Rivera's age had something to do with the platooning. My thought was Rivera got most of the playing time since he batted left handed but that wasn't the case. Lopez played the hot hand I guess. Speaking of Rivera's age I was looking at the backs of some baseball cards and saw his birthdate listed as July 22, 1923 and July 22, 1922. It appears that his real birth year was 1921 based on his reported death at age 96. It looks like there was a reason to lie about your age even back then so you'd be given a better chance to prove yourself.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:14 AM
WSI Personality

Default Meeting Jim Rivera

RIP Jungle Jim. I remember meeting him at a baseball card show in Harvey back in 1989. They had the 1959 White Sox outfield signing autographs for FREE and I just could not pass up the chance to meet Al Smith, Jim Landis and Jim Rivera in person.

I had inherited my late Father In Law's 1959 White Sox scrapbook that he kept that season (while serving in the Military, his Mom would send him the Chicago newspapers so he could keep up with his beloved White Sox during the Pennant Winning season)

The 3 Outfielders were quite impressed with the scrapbook and all 3 signed it for me, Jim Landis signed the photo of his diving catch in the LA Coliseum during the '59 WS and he told me the ground was so hard and sun baked that his pants shredded as he slid across the "turf" after the catch. He said look at the WS highlight film, you'll see me clutching my pants, I thought they were going to fall off me in front of 90,000 people.

Al Smith signed the photo of the famous Beer Bath or Shower he got in game 2. He laughed and said "I just knew I'd see this photo at some point today" And he added, "take good care of that scrapbook, it's quite a keepsake."

Jim Rivera signed the photo of his famous over the shoulder catch he made in Game 6 no sooner than being inserted in to the game to help preserve the nerve wracking 1-0 win to keep the Sox series hopes alive. He called it a "lucky catch" but I felt he was just being modest.

I let all 3 guys know how much my late Father In Law and my own late Father loved the Go Go Sox and how 1959 was a great moment in their lives after watching the Sox battle for the Pennant for 10 long years, mostly against the hated Yankees and somewhat hated Tribe and that 1959 Pennant winning year was talked about reverently for years while I was growing up in the 60's.

P.S. I can remember my Dad telling me about Jim Rivera and in a complimentary way he said and I quote...."If he could've hit a little better he would've been a HOF'er" He always gave his maximum effort and was an all out hustle guy. My Dad loved that about him.

"(Shoeless Joe) Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." ------ Connie Mack..........................."I copied (Shoeless Joe) Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."------ Babe Ruth"
Old 11-26-2017, 12:28 PM
WSI Personality

Speaking of the '59 White Sox, I had a Birthday just a couple weeks ago and my wife bought me this fine piece of wall art.

I only post it to show it off to the board members, if it's ok to leave it up do so, or if it violates any rules about selling stuff you can take it down...I'll leave that up to the Mods.

Anyhow I digress....for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Chicag....c100011.m1850

Last edited by Wsoxmike59; 11-26-2017 at 05:43 PM. Reason: try to clean up the link.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
Speaking of the '59 White Sox, I had a Birthday just a couple weeks ago and my wife bought me this fine piece of wall art.

I only post it to show it off to the board members, if it's ok to leave it up do so, or if it violates any rules about selling stuff you can take it down...I'll leave that up to the Mods.

Anyhow I digress....for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Chicag....c100011.m1850
Very nice.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Wow, just read a summary of his life... Unbelievable...
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004