Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2017, 12:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default NYT Op-Ed: "Baseballs of 1948" features Sox

Written by Susannah Meadows, whose father was Sox batboy back in '48.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/27/o...morabilia.html

Love the photo of a ball with Ted Lyons's sig dead center.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernam View Post
Written by Susannah Meadows, whose father was Sox batboy back in '48.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/27/o...morabilia.html

Love the photo of a ball with Ted Lyons's sig dead center.
Great story, but so sad that the writer's parents have to sell such precious items.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:52 PM
WSI Regular

Yes that is a sad story Little Nell. The parts of the story that talked about Satchel Paige reminded me of some stories about games between the Sox and Indians either that year or 1949. Noneck had asked me to talk about the fifties, so here are some Noneck. My Dad and I were at an Indians game and Satchel was signing autographs down around the first base line.I was very shy and didn't want to go down there by such a famous player. My Dad kept urging me so I went down and Satch signed my program. After we moved from Woodlawn to Oak Forest, my autographed program got lost in the move somehow. I have regretted that ever since.

Another game my buddy and I went to , Lou Boudreau threw is bat way up in the air, I think over a call at second base. I told my buddy I can't believe the ump didn't throw him out of the game, but he didn't. It may have been the same game but my friend was a nephew of the head ticket seller Phil (I can't remember his last name). Jim called his uncle right after church at St. Clara's in Woodlawn and asked if he could get 2 tickets. His uncle said sure, just come to the ticket office and pick them up. Bob Feller was scheduled to start the first game of a double header. We were a little late for the game and as we went to the ticket office the crowd was cheering loudly. I told my buddy to hurry up and he said ah don't worry, it always sounds loud from outside the stadium. We walked down the aisle to some very good seats just in time to see Feller give his glove to the manager. The Sox had knocked him out of the game in the first inning and I never saw him throw a pitch.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:17 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMinoso View Post
Yes that is a sad story Little Nell. The parts of the story that talked about Satchel Paige reminded me of some stories about games between the Sox and Indians either that year or 1949. Noneck had asked me to talk about the fifties, so here are some Noneck. My Dad and I were at an Indians game and Satchel was signing autographs down around the first base line.I was very shy and didn't want to go down there by such a famous player. My Dad kept urging me so I went down and Satch signed my program. After we moved from Woodlawn to Oak Forest, my autographed program got lost in the move somehow. I have regretted that ever since.

Another game my buddy and I went to , Lou Boudreau threw is bat way up in the air, I think over a call at second base. I told my buddy I can't believe the ump didn't throw him out of the game, but he didn't. It may have been the same game but my friend was a nephew of the head ticket seller Phil (I can't remember his last name). Jim called his uncle right after church at St. Clara's in Woodlawn and asked if he could get 2 tickets. His uncle said sure, just come to the ticket office and pick them up. Bob Feller was scheduled to start the first game of a double header. We were a little late for the game and as we went to the ticket office the crowd was cheering loudly. I told my buddy to hurry up and he said ah don't worry, it always sounds loud from outside the stadium. We walked down the aisle to some very good seats just in time to see Feller give his glove to the manager. The Sox had knocked him out of the game in the first inning and I never saw him throw a pitch.
Thank you and sorry about losing that program signed by Satch but the memory is not lost.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:05 AM
WSI Regular

After re-reading my post, I meant to say Feller gave the ball to his manager.