Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2017, 10:50 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Default Petricka Elbow Surgery yesterday

He'll resume throwing in 3-4 months.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...020-story.html

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-21-2017, 11:31 AM
WSI Guru

Meh.

Wish him well. Hope he retires. He's not that good even when healthy (which is very, very rare...)
Old 10-21-2017, 01:53 PM
WSI Personality

Agree. Horrible when healthy. Hope he calls it a career.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
Meh.

Wish him well. Hope he retires. He's not that good even when healthy (which is very, very rare...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23
Barring a rule change that shortens games to seven innings, this team will still need seven or eight relievers in the bullpen when camp breaks. Simply put, the team is not going to find enough options in one offseason to push Petricka out of the mix to compete for one of those spots.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:41 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post
You guys are a tough crowd. Petricka was an effective reliever in 2013, 2014 and 2015. He became ineffective when he got hurt, which happened in April of 2016. I don't think he's been fully healthy since that point. I don't know if he'll ever fully come back from the injuries, but saying he's terrible when healthy is not telling the entire story, as he's only really struggled when he's been hurt.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Petricka was effective when pitching the 6th or 7th. It was when they tried to use him as a closer or setup man that he was in over his head. If he was healthy I wouldn't mind him pitching the 6th again when necessary. But after a couple years in a row of injury and now surgery all bets are off on what he'll be capable of if and when he comes back.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Barring a rule change that shortens games to seven innings, this team will still need seven or eight relievers in the bullpen when camp breaks. Simply put, the team is not going to find enough options in one offseason to push Petricka out of the mix to compete for one of those spots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
You guys are a tough crowd. Petricka was an effective reliever in 2013, 2014 and 2015. He became ineffective when he got hurt, which happened in April of 2016. I don't think he's been fully healthy since that point. I don't know if he'll ever fully come back from the injuries, but saying he's terrible when healthy is not telling the entire story, as he's only really struggled when he's been hurt.
Agreed. Who knows if he'll ever be healthy again, but I wouldn't rush to show him the door. It's not like we're overrun with bullpen talent right now.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:50 PM
WSI Guru

I'm not sure if Jones and Petricka will ever be healthy and effective again, but I wouldn't be kicking these guys to the curb if I'm the Sox. Somebody has to pitch in relief next year, and I think the consensus here is the front office shouldn't be spending big in free agency to plug holes his offseason.

So, it's imperative that you try to get what you can out of the people who are already on hand. You can cut ties with guys like Petricka and go shopping in the bargain bin of free agency if you want, but are you really going to do much better that way?

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-21-2017, 10:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Petricka's best years were average (being generous); if they have a 40 man squeeze, have to let him go.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:36 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
You can cut ties with guys like Petricka and go shopping in the bargain bin of free agency if you want, but are you really going to do much better that way?
Well in theory those bargain bin guys may at least be healthy, no?
Old 10-21-2017, 11:45 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Maybe that's why they're bargain bin, because they're not healthy.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
Free-agent relievers who have been both reasonably effective and reasonably healthy in prior seasons typically command multi-year deals. Bargain bin guys are usually lacking in at least one of those areas.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:07 PM
WSI Personality

These doctors are handing out debridements like they are lollipops.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Free-agent relievers who have been both reasonably effective and reasonably healthy in prior seasons typically command multi-year deals. Bargain bin guys are usually lacking in at least one of those areas.
Yeah, since the Sox are not quite at the stage of obtaining top-line relievers with multi-year deals, we're likely looking at a bunch of other Petrickas. I'm all for having lots of competition next spring to fill our roster spots. Who knows, we might end up with another Khanle or Swarzak.

That's all fine for a team in rebuild like us. I just hope that, once this team is ready to compete for the playoffs in 2019 or perhaps more likely 2020, that the Sox have a solid bullpen assembled by then.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yeah, since the Sox are not quite at the stage of obtaining top-line relievers with multi-year deals, we're likely looking at a bunch of other Petrickas. I'm all for having lots of competition next spring to fill our roster spots. Who knows, we might end up with another Khanle or Swarzak.

That's all fine for a team in rebuild like us. I just hope that, once this team is ready to compete for the playoffs in 2019 or perhaps more likely 2020, that the Sox have a solid bullpen assembled by then.
I'm fairly confident that we will. Some of the guys being developed as potential starters in the minors now will end up in the bullpen. Zack Burdi should be back on track by then. Add in a 2-3 quality free agents and you have a solid bullpen. The question in my mind, due to the injury and delay in Burdi's development, is whether they sign a veteran closer, wait for Burdi to develop into a closer, or move one of your quality starters (Dylan Cease perhaps) to the closers role.

But for now, yeah, reclaimation jobs are the order of the day.