And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2017, 10:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
People struggle with weight, even MLB players. Who are you to criticize?
Probably because he's a professional athlete and part of his job is to be physically fit?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Rumor mill churning out that the Sox are back to discussing Robertson with the Nats after the Nats signed Wieters.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-21-2017, 10:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Why shoot the messenger? The poster is not the issue, it's Avi.

Pro athletes are paid a lot of money to be at their best and Avi is paid $3 million a year to be his best. If his best is at a lower weight, it's his obligation to the team and to his employer to be at a lower weight.

Of course, we have no idea if a lower weight will make him a better ballplayer, but we do know at his present weight or higher he's mediocre.

All athletes do not necessarily have to be at an optimum weight or physical conditioning to be at their best, as they are all individuals, but Avi needs to get his act together fast. This is his last chance, and while he may not know or care, White Sox fans sure do.

Some ballplayers can be out of shape, eat junk food, be fat and be in the Hall of Fame. I think there was a guy like that named Ruth.

Avi is not Babe Ruth.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Also muscle weighs more than fat. I don't know how much weight of avi's is "good" weight or "bad" weight. Reducing weight should put less strain on back, knees, and feet however. I know I saw interviews that showed Avi lifting weights a lot.
So I doubt all of his problem was getting fat as many assumed. You could very well be 6'4'' and weigh 268 and have less than 8% body fat...not saying thats the case with avi either.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:49 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
I'm struck by Avi saying he is down from 268 to 258 and that his goal is 248. What the hell is he doing weighing that much in the first place??? Yes, he is a big guy at 6' 4" but I'm 6' 3" with a big build and at 248 I am over weight. At 258 or 268 I am fat. If I want to be in playing shape then I am down to about 225... 235 if I am really hitting the weight room.

It comes down to whatever works but there are many variables. I dont know if weight is the problem why he cant field or hit. If he was tearing it up at a lower weight and then gained weight, Id agree he should try to get down to the weight where he was tearing it up. Maybe losing more weight will help now but then again maybe it wont. To me its all about practice makes perfect and being and staying in shape.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Most people struggle with hitting a 90 mph slider too
Old 02-22-2017, 12:39 AM
WSI High Priest

A few paragraphs into this article, Daryl Van Schouwen talks about two trades "falling through at the ownership level" this offseason. I really hope this isn't true, or if it is true, that the "ownership level" in question was on the other side of the deal. If our ownership is quashing trades that our GM wants to make, then Reinsdorf needs to get the hell out of the way and let the baseball people do their jobs.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/s...e-sox-rebuild/
Old 02-22-2017, 03:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
A few paragraphs into this article, Daryl Van Schouwen talks about two trades "falling through at the ownership level" this offseason. I really hope this isn't true, or if it is true, that the "ownership level" in question was on the other side of the deal. If our ownership is quashing trades that our GM wants to make, then Reinsdorf needs to get the hell out of the way and let the baseball people do their jobs.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/s...e-sox-rebuild/
Rick Hahn was the source for that story, right? That makes me think it was the ownership of the other clubs that scotched the near deals because they didn't want to part with prospects, take on salary or both.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Most people struggle with hitting a 90 mph slider too
Ha! Found this funny on a number of levels. Kudos.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

"The Sox’ other high-end trade chip, Jose Quintana, was probably close to being gone, too. General manager Rick Hahn has said two similar deals — at least one, presumably, around the holidays — fell through at the ownership level, and it’s reasonable to think they involved Quintana."

There's no pursuit on this statement from Hahn by the interviewer?

Figures...
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 02-22-2017, 06:44 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
It comes down to whatever works but there are many variables. I dont know if weight is the problem why he cant field or hit. If he was tearing it up at a lower weight and then gained weight, Id agree he should try to get down to the weight where he was tearing it up. Maybe losing more weight will help now but then again maybe it wont. To me its all about practice makes perfect and being and staying in shape.
When I think of the word, "grinder", a lot of players' images go through my mind before I get to Avi Garcia.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:22 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Rick Hahn was the source for that story, right? That makes me think it was the ownership of the other clubs that scotched the near deals because they didn't want to part with prospects, take on salary or both.
The Q&A interview at MLB trade rumors had Hahn making it sound (fairly clearly in my opinion) like it was the other teams ownership that balked.

Quote:
But, yes, we did have two deals—with different clubs, involving different players—die at the ownership approval stage when the other clubs decided in the end that the deal did not work for them. That’s unfortunate, but it happens.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ebuild-qa.html
Old 02-22-2017, 11:24 AM
WSI Guru

Saw an interesting headline / first few sentences of a story at the Tribune web site today (can't read it because it is a paywall) that quoted Hahn as saying the rebuild has been "difficult" for JR who reminds him about his age in discussions.

JR turned 81 (I think) this month.

Lip
Old 02-22-2017, 12:44 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Saw an interesting headline / first few sentences of a story at the Tribune web site today (can't read it because it is a paywall) that quoted Hahn as saying the rebuild has been "difficult" for JR who reminds him about his age in discussions.

Lip

The article says the reinsdorf is antsy about when the Sox will be competitive again but is behind a rebuild.

I guess Hahn was asked by a tsa agent at the airport what about a trade giving the Sox Baez and Schwarber for Quintana. Hahn responded with thats a nice start, get back to me when you add to that.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Lip
Here's the article, should be able to read:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...222-story.html

Quote:
He mentions his age to me in a fair amount of these conversations, usually prefaced by, 'How long, given my age?'" Hahn said. "But he gets it, and he has been extremely supportive, and it probably was the hardest thing for him. ... It was probably easier for all of us than it was for Jerry, simply because you point out his age, his competitiveness, he's been through similar such things before and he's smart enough to understand the hardships that lay ahead of us as part of this.
Quote:
"His competitiveness and his impatience are a constant presence through this in that he wants it done right and he hopes it’s done quickly, but he knows where were at," Hahn said. "As competitive as he may be — and he's competitive as anybody in the organization — he's also smarter than everybody in the organization, so he knows where we were, what the realities were."