Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2017, 03:59 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm not getting too up or down on these prospects- they've basically been with the White Sox (Cooper for the pitchers) for a few weeks, and Arizona is a very tough place to really assess players- especially pitchers.

Give them a few months in the minors- then we'll know what we really have.
2005-2017 Record: 58-46
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 03-15-2017, 04:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Exactly. Seven years of that type of pitcher, plus seven years of whatever contributions Reynaldo Lopez makes, plus seven years of whatever contributions Dane Dunning makes, would be worth more to this team than five years of whatever contributions Adam Eaton makes.
But, but, but NOT A FAIR TRADE!!!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 03-15-2017, 06:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
OK, fine. I'll concede that there is a minimal chance that Quintana's value may somehow go up from where it is today, but I'm still overwhelmingly in favor of trading him now and not having to take that chance, because I think his value is far more likely to go down than it is to go up, for the reasons I already mentioned. The idea that Quintana's value is just as likely to go up as it is to go down is not an idea that is grounded in logic.
Me too, but only if the price is right. It is conceivable that the price could be "more right" in the future is my only point. Hahn would know bette than anybody, given the return on Sale and Eaton I'm willing to have faith in his discretion on this one. Worst case scenerio, we keep Quintana...that isn't exactly the plane running into the side of the mountain.

Saying something is possible does not equate to saying just as likely, btw.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:29 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I'm not getting too up or down on these prospects- they've basically been with the White Sox (Cooper for the pitchers) for a few weeks, and Arizona is a very tough place to really assess players- especially pitchers.

Give them a few months in the minors- then we'll know what we really have.
Great post...these guys are for the next couple of years no need to get too excited or disappointed on their performance right now
Old 03-16-2017, 03:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

We really won't know what the new players have until 2018. Many of them will see limited time in a very painful 2017.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Between the extension for Molina and some pitcher injuries are the Cardinals emerging as a fit for trade with Pale Hose?

Quintana + Robertson or Jones = Carson Kelly (#1 catcher prospect in MLB), Bader or Sierra (top OF prospects) (or DeJong-3B), etc.?
Old 03-31-2017, 11:35 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Between the extension for Molina and some pitcher injuries are the Cardinals emerging as a fit for trade with Pale Hose?

Quintana + Robertson or Jones = Carson Kelly (#1 catcher prospect in MLB), Bader or Sierra (top OF prospects) (or DeJong-3B), etc.?
That is interesting. MLB Trade Rumors also had something last night about the Cardinals and that they have been monitoring the market for Q.

I just read on his profile (Carson Kelly) that he came up as a 3b and they switched him to catcher. The fact that he can do so and become the #1 prospect at the position in the MLB is pretty crazy.

Make it happen Rick!
Old 03-31-2017, 12:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

With Reyes out, I just don't think the Cards have the pieces to make a run at Q. Kelly is nowhere near guys like Martes or Frazier as a headliner. Delvin Perez is probably their top prospect now, but he's a huge wild card/lotto ticket given his age and experience.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
With Reyes out, I just don't think the Cards have the pieces to make a run at Q.
This is very true, as the Cardinals are uncharacteristically thin right now in the minors.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 03-31-2017, 04:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes
With Reyes out, I just don't think the Cards have the pieces to make a run at Q. Kelly is nowhere near guys like Martes or Frazier as a headliner. Delvin Perez is probably their top prospect now, but he's a huge wild card/lotto ticket given his age and experience.
The Cardinals just gave Yadier Molina a three-year extension, so Kelly is hopelessly blocked at that position until 2021 at the earliest. Harrison Bader is also roadblocked by the Dexter Fowler signing. Those two guys, plus either Perez (Anderson could move to 2B and Moncada could move to 3B, strengthening the team defensively) or Luke Weaver, definitely would get my attention.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The Cardinals just gave Yadier Molina a three-year extension, so Kelly is hopelessly blocked at that position until 2021 at the earliest. Harrison Bader is also roadblocked by the Dexter Fowler signing. Those two guys, plus either Perez (Anderson could move to 2B and Moncada could move to 3B, strengthening the team defensively) or Luke Weaver, definitely would get my attention.
Any insights on Dejong from the Cards system as a 3rd base prospect?
Old 03-31-2017, 04:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72
Any insights on Dejong from the Cards system as a 3rd base prospect?
DeJong struggled in the Arizona Fall league, but the Cardinals had him playing SS there. He has bounced around quite a bit position-wise, going from college catcher to single-A 3B to double-A 3B to double-A SS to SS in the Fall League.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Exactly. Seven years of that type of pitcher, plus seven years of whatever contributions Reynaldo Lopez makes, plus seven years of whatever contributions Dane Dunning makes, would be worth more to this team than five years of whatever contributions Adam Eaton makes.
Certainly it won't change your point, but Giolito is only under control of the Sox for six years, including the time he spends in Charlotte, according to the Washington (sports) press corps and Baseball Reference. There were Nationals started Giolito's free agency clock when they called him up last June.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog
Certainly it won't change your point, but Giolito is only under control of the Sox for six years, including the time he spends in Charlotte, according to the Washington (sports) press corps and Baseball Reference. There were Nationals started Giolito's free agency clock when they called him up last June.
Giolito has accrued 39 days of service time. He would need to accrue 133 days this year to reach the 172 days required to be credited with one full year of service time. Since it takes six full years of service time to become eligible for free agency, keeping Giolito in Charlotte for at least the first two months of the season will keep his service clock at 0 years, 171 days (the team would be better off shaving a few days off this total, just to be on the safe side). That would put his service clock at 5 years, 171 days at the end of 2022, meaning that he would be ineligible for free agency at that time.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Giolito has accrued 39 days of service time. He would need to accrue 133 days this year to reach the 172 days required to be credited with one full year of service time. Since it takes six full years of service time to become eligible for free agency, keeping Giolito in Charlotte for at least the first two months of the season will keep his service clock at 0 years, 171 days (the team would be better off shaving a few days off this total, just to be on the safe side). That would put his service clock at 5 years, 171 days at the end of 2022, meaning that he would be ineligible for free agency at that time.
Last June and at the time of the Giolito trade, Washington baseball writers reported that Giolito would be eligible for free agency after the 2022 season.

i didn't continue reading to see if the White Sox had done anything that might inspire a grievance for postponing his free-agent eligiblity. But the reality is that if Giolito is as good as he is supposed to be, the Sox will extend thim to ensure he stays with the team, as they did with Chris Sale.