White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 03-15-2017, 03:59 PM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 6,449
Default

I'm not getting too up or down on these prospects- they've basically been with the White Sox (Cooper for the pitchers) for a few weeks, and Arizona is a very tough place to really assess players- especially pitchers.

Give them a few months in the minors- then we'll know what we really have.
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
2018 Record: 0-0
2005-2017 Record: 58-46
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 03-15-2017, 04:32 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Exactly. Seven years of that type of pitcher, plus seven years of whatever contributions Reynaldo Lopez makes, plus seven years of whatever contributions Dane Dunning makes, would be worth more to this team than five years of whatever contributions Adam Eaton makes.
But, but, but NOT A FAIR TRADE!!!
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 03-15-2017, 06:48 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
OK, fine. I'll concede that there is a minimal chance that Quintana's value may somehow go up from where it is today, but I'm still overwhelmingly in favor of trading him now and not having to take that chance, because I think his value is far more likely to go down than it is to go up, for the reasons I already mentioned. The idea that Quintana's value is just as likely to go up as it is to go down is not an idea that is grounded in logic.
Me too, but only if the price is right. It is conceivable that the price could be "more right" in the future is my only point. Hahn would know bette than anybody, given the return on Sale and Eaton I'm willing to have faith in his discretion on this one. Worst case scenerio, we keep Quintana...that isn't exactly the plane running into the side of the mountain.

Saying something is possible does not equate to saying just as likely, btw.
__________________
"Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be."
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 03-15-2017, 08:29 PM
SOXBOY SOXBOY is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: chicago
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I'm not getting too up or down on these prospects- they've basically been with the White Sox (Cooper for the pitchers) for a few weeks, and Arizona is a very tough place to really assess players- especially pitchers.

Give them a few months in the minors- then we'll know what we really have.
Great post...these guys are for the next couple of years no need to get too excited or disappointed on their performance right now
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 03-16-2017, 03:41 PM
wdelaney72 wdelaney72 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,116
Default

We really won't know what the new players have until 2018. Many of them will see limited time in a very painful 2017.
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 03-31-2017, 10:50 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 6,449
Default

Between the extension for Molina and some pitcher injuries are the Cardinals emerging as a fit for trade with Pale Hose?

Quintana + Robertson or Jones = Carson Kelly (#1 catcher prospect in MLB), Bader or Sierra (top OF prospects) (or DeJong-3B), etc.?
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 03-31-2017, 11:35 AM
jsg-07 jsg-07 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Homer Glen
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Between the extension for Molina and some pitcher injuries are the Cardinals emerging as a fit for trade with Pale Hose?

Quintana + Robertson or Jones = Carson Kelly (#1 catcher prospect in MLB), Bader or Sierra (top OF prospects) (or DeJong-3B), etc.?
That is interesting. MLB Trade Rumors also had something last night about the Cardinals and that they have been monitoring the market for Q.

I just read on his profile (Carson Kelly) that he came up as a 3b and they switched him to catcher. The fact that he can do so and become the #1 prospect at the position in the MLB is pretty crazy.

Make it happen Rick!
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 03-31-2017, 12:32 PM
shes shes is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,907
Default

With Reyes out, I just don't think the Cards have the pieces to make a run at Q. Kelly is nowhere near guys like Martes or Frazier as a headliner. Delvin Perez is probably their top prospect now, but he's a huge wild card/lotto ticket given his age and experience.
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 03-31-2017, 12:35 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
With Reyes out, I just don't think the Cards have the pieces to make a run at Q.
This is very true, as the Cardinals are uncharacteristically thin right now in the minors.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 03-31-2017, 04:18 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 8,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes
With Reyes out, I just don't think the Cards have the pieces to make a run at Q. Kelly is nowhere near guys like Martes or Frazier as a headliner. Delvin Perez is probably their top prospect now, but he's a huge wild card/lotto ticket given his age and experience.
The Cardinals just gave Yadier Molina a three-year extension, so Kelly is hopelessly blocked at that position until 2021 at the earliest. Harrison Bader is also roadblocked by the Dexter Fowler signing. Those two guys, plus either Perez (Anderson could move to 2B and Moncada could move to 3B, strengthening the team defensively) or Luke Weaver, definitely would get my attention.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 03-31-2017, 04:21 PM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 6,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The Cardinals just gave Yadier Molina a three-year extension, so Kelly is hopelessly blocked at that position until 2021 at the earliest. Harrison Bader is also roadblocked by the Dexter Fowler signing. Those two guys, plus either Perez (Anderson could move to 2B and Moncada could move to 3B, strengthening the team defensively) or Luke Weaver, definitely would get my attention.
Any insights on Dejong from the Cards system as a 3rd base prospect?
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 03-31-2017, 04:34 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 8,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72
Any insights on Dejong from the Cards system as a 3rd base prospect?
DeJong struggled in the Arizona Fall league, but the Cardinals had him playing SS there. He has bounced around quite a bit position-wise, going from college catcher to single-A 3B to double-A 3B to double-A SS to SS in the Fall League.
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 04-01-2017, 03:01 AM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 17,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Exactly. Seven years of that type of pitcher, plus seven years of whatever contributions Reynaldo Lopez makes, plus seven years of whatever contributions Dane Dunning makes, would be worth more to this team than five years of whatever contributions Adam Eaton makes.
Certainly it won't change your point, but Giolito is only under control of the Sox for six years, including the time he spends in Charlotte, according to the Washington (sports) press corps and Baseball Reference. There were Nationals started Giolito's free agency clock when they called him up last June.
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 04-01-2017, 04:33 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 8,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog
Certainly it won't change your point, but Giolito is only under control of the Sox for six years, including the time he spends in Charlotte, according to the Washington (sports) press corps and Baseball Reference. There were Nationals started Giolito's free agency clock when they called him up last June.
Giolito has accrued 39 days of service time. He would need to accrue 133 days this year to reach the 172 days required to be credited with one full year of service time. Since it takes six full years of service time to become eligible for free agency, keeping Giolito in Charlotte for at least the first two months of the season will keep his service clock at 0 years, 171 days (the team would be better off shaving a few days off this total, just to be on the safe side). That would put his service clock at 5 years, 171 days at the end of 2022, meaning that he would be ineligible for free agency at that time.
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 04-01-2017, 01:41 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 17,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Giolito has accrued 39 days of service time. He would need to accrue 133 days this year to reach the 172 days required to be credited with one full year of service time. Since it takes six full years of service time to become eligible for free agency, keeping Giolito in Charlotte for at least the first two months of the season will keep his service clock at 0 years, 171 days (the team would be better off shaving a few days off this total, just to be on the safe side). That would put his service clock at 5 years, 171 days at the end of 2022, meaning that he would be ineligible for free agency at that time.
Last June and at the time of the Giolito trade, Washington baseball writers reported that Giolito would be eligible for free agency after the 2022 season.

i didn't continue reading to see if the White Sox had done anything that might inspire a grievance for postponing his free-agent eligiblity. But the reality is that if Giolito is as good as he is supposed to be, the Sox will extend thim to ensure he stays with the team, as they did with Chris Sale.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.